Roll Call: Sacramento, CA tour sauce junkies....where you at?

Well went to Haggin Oaks today to hit some balls and have a couple beers with the lady. Was a great day until we went into the shop and left our clubs outside for about 10 minutes. Bad move. Someone totally stole her brand new driver right out of her bag. Absolutely not the TC way. Fucking scumbags. She’s bummed. I had gotten it for her for her birthday. Just a PSA don’t leave clubs unattended there. It’s our fault for being so stupid but man I can’t believe people sometimes.

Damn that sucks. Haggin is a tough scene. Great shop, decent range, Arcade is great for a nine hole walk with the boys and a few beers after work, AM is cool if it’s in good shape. Unfortunately the neighborhood it’s in is not great and while you want to keep the profiling to a minimum and give the kids running around the benefit of the doubt, this shit happens. Check OfferUp/FB marketplace/CL, you might get lucky.

My move can’t come sooner

3 Likes

Played wildhawk yesterday. Not awful but the tee’s are mounded. Every single one. Also quite possibly the slowest round of the year at 5 and a half hours. Played Mackenzie today. Great shape for mid feb, fun course and so nice out. Get it in now before we’re on the surface of the sun this summer. Where’s everyone been playing? What’s in good/bad shape? Pace?

1 Like

I think it’s just wolf with a lot more money on the line.

Doing our first weekend golf league of the year in a few weeks.

3 Likes

I have a time at my home course, Dryden Park in Modesto, next Saturday 3/27 if anyone is looking for an out of town game.

Hey all,

Just moved to the Sacramento area. I’m looking to find a nice practice area to start the spring grind. Planning on checking out Ancil Hoffman practice area, anyone have a favorite range / short game area?

Thanks.

The sun city properties, Lincoln Hills in Lincoln and Timber Creek in Roseville have decent short game areas. Range is great if on grass, mats are mats. The best short game facility is for sure Haggin oaks but technically for ‘lessons only’. Really tough to find a real grass range anywhere right now.

Timber Creek is solid enough. At least has a bunker and pitch/short shot area haha.

2 Likes

Teal Bend has a grass driving range, a chipping green, a pitching green, and a big putting green. But it is Bermuda grass and so many mosquitos.

Gonna be coming to town on Tuesday morning, March 30th from Reno area (girlfriend wants to go to the outlet malls and Galleria) looked on line a couple of days ago, and was thinking abut Diamond Oaks or possibly Haggin Oaks. also thinking about Paradise valley over by Vacaville… any suggestions?

1 Like

If you feel like a bit of a drive I’d go to Darkhorse. Diamond Oaks is pretty meh but it’s right by the Galleria etc. Haggin is fine. I haven’t played Timber Creek but I’ve been to the range it seems a step up from Diamond Oaks so maybe that’s a good option as well

1 Like

Books round of golf while girlfriend shops all day…

Allister Mackenzie side of Haggin is fun and in fairly good shape right now if you’re trying to stay in Sac proper.

3 Likes

Haha it’s funny my lady lives literally a half mile from that Galleria and won’t set foot in there if it were to save her life. Hates real life shopping. EVERYTHING online. I’m the opposite I actually enjoy shopping. No delayed gratification, no returning because you know for sure you like the item, actually getting to feel the fabric etc etc. I hate online shopping. I’m also terribad at returning things so there’s been several times that things just sit in the bag until the return time frame has expired and I’m shit outta luck

1 Like

Running it back!

1 Like

Cool, thank you. Yeah seems to be pretty early in the season for the grass ranges. I found Vineyard Driving Range off of Elk Grove Florin Rd, seems to be a bit Tin Cup style that might be OK with some off the grass sessions.

Played my first round since moving to the area and looking for hourses. Played empire ranch since its near where we are looking to buy.

I liked the track but had some issues with the layout. Shot 72 there without really scouting and was kind of able to long drive bully the course on a few holes on the front and a lot on the back. Wildly busy driving range and practice facilties as it seems to be the only public track in the area.

Overall will play again.

Also starting to tour some of the clubs, CPCC, Serrano, and North ridge for young exec memberships. I have all the costs and data in a spreadsheet so LMK if anyone is looking for that prior to contacting them.

Anyone looking for a game in a few weeks?

1 Like

Hey Trey. Welcome to the area. 72 at Empire on your first round is pretty darn good. I think you got the sense of that place well.

We live in El Dorado Hills. I’ve tried to explore courses in the area since moving here a year ago. My favorite is Dark Horse, but it’s a bit of a haul. I think it’s worth it though.

Turkey Creek, The Ridge and Teal Bend are next layer down.

Wildhawk and Apple Hill are fine, but not much to write home about. Apple Hill is target mountain golf if you’re into that kind of thing.

Castle Oaks was not impressive. Lincoln Hills is fine. Morgan Creek seems like it could have been good in its heydey, but now is kind of like Empire.

I’d be happy to meet you for a game and talk more about it. I don’t have insight on the country clubs as I haven’t played any, but I think there are some posts up here about some of the clubs you’ve mentioned.

1 Like

I would love that, I’ll send you or attempt an PM.