Roll Call: Orlando, FL Golfers

I think we’re getting our “Orlando’s” mixed up. Winter Park 9 is definitely in Orlando. Anything on the Disney side is Kissimmee/St. Cloud which is Orlando in as much as you have to fly into our airport to get to that area and Lake Buena Vista in general (which is Orlando again for tax purposes).

There are distinct Orlando’s, one for locals and then the tourist corridor, basically each is roughly separated by Sand Lake Road. For tourists Orlando goes from Sand Lake out to ChampionsGate. For locals it goes from Sand Lake to Sanford (where I live).

2 Likes

Totally different perspectives and both are probably right. I will be with my family. I can get away with one morning of solo golf while in town for the week, that’s it. For me, I would rather spend that walking someplace like WP9 (paired with others no doubt, but still walking) than I would playing a resort course and having to be the 4th in a twosome or worse, threesome, tagging along in the cart for the sake of playing a “nicer” course.

It very well might be “woke” for an out of towner to want to play WP9 because they saw it on YouTube, but what I saw is the type of golf experience I am looking for so if that is woke, sure haha.

Now, if I were on a buddy trip - totally different story.

1 Like

Of all the cars in that area, you hit a U-Haul driven by someone you know. Should have played the lottery that day too!

2 Likes

This is the better way of putting it. When I said it’s not “in Orlando” I meant the “Orlando” everyone who isn’t from here thinks of. (I-Drive, Disney, outlet malls, etc).

1 Like

Played Harmony on a whim yesterday. Greens were in pretty good shape, but incredibly soft.

But that’s not really why I’m posting, I just needed a reason to ask @jon33 for a debrief on his WP9 experience.

2 Likes

Great experience. I4 was empty. Drive was only 20 min door to door both ways. I was 30 minutes early for my tee time and they put me with three older members. They played up and I played back but they kept it moving and were fun to play with.

I didn’t play great but I really enjoyed the course, especially the greens. Most importantly, no cars were harmed. I only hit driver on 4 and played a ton of hybrid off the tee.

The people I played with play there twice a week. As a community muni it’s as good as it gets. I was sad I didn’t have time to loop it with them a 2nd time.

5 Likes

Have a question for you lovely folks, I’m looking at going to Orlando next month or in February to visit my grandfather and play some golf. WP9 is something I should play right? Place looks cool as hell.

3 Likes

It’s affordable and fun, so, yes.

3 Likes

Baytree is my home course. Love this track.

3 Likes

Down the road in Vero and definitely want to hit this place up in January!

I’m coming down next week to Vero but will be in Orlando for 2 nights prior. Planning on playing WP and Deltona. Then 3 nights in Vero, I want to play another time while in Vero-what do you recommend?

Can never go wrong with either course at Sandridge, always a great value.

Two other fun options somewhat nearby are Fairwinds in Fort Pierce and then a little to the north is Spessard Holland in Melbourne Beach, right on the ocean. Have to also throw in Meadowood as well heading out to Indrio Road off 95 as well just south of Vero.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot! I think I’ll try and get out early to walk at sand ridge on the 30th or 31st or both lol. Thanks for the info.

What’s wrong with Falcon’s Fire right now? Planning to be in Orlando mid-February and have reciprocity to play there for $29. Also could play Metrowest or Stonegate Golf Club a little further away for the same price. Last time I was in Orlando I think I played Grand Cypress and 9 at one of the Disney courses and have already played the Streamsong courses. I probably will get to sneak away from the family for 2 rounds of golf so any information on those courses would be appreciated.

No to Stoney or Metro… not worth the $ if you’re traveling from out of time, even at that cheap. FF is fine… should be in decent condition. Where are you staying?

3 Likes

Just wanted to echo that Sandridge in Vero is a great option. They have the 2 tracks. Lake and Dunes courses. Both are nice. I prefer the lakes. Have fun and enjoy!

1 Like

Staying off Disney but pretty close in that Lake Buena Vista area. Falcon’s Fire seemed like a decent option since it’s only 6 miles away and basically can play for a cart fee. Probably will play early morning or maybe sneak out for 9 during nap time at that price since it’s not too far. Definitely open to other suggestions if there is some hidden gems down there.

1 Like

I played there over the summer, greens were crazy slow and the entire golf course was a muddy mess. Hopefully they have turned the corner

2 Likes

For those interested. Check out the events page as we are hosting an event about 90 minutes southwest of Whorelando in January. Would love to have yall out…

2 Likes

Even if it’s not in perfect condition, Falcon’s Fire in February for $29 is a nice value. If you play early in the morning watch out for the second hole, as it will play directly into the rising Sun.

3 Likes