Roll Call: Orange County, CA (Long Beach, Inland Empire etc too!)

Nice. Just played at Dos Lagos for the first time a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Lots of good golf out there, if you can survive the 91.

Sometimes like to hit Big Rec and Skylinks for the Skins games. Welcome. Glad to have you.

Fullerton checking in here

3 Likes

New to the boards (and new-ish to OC) here. Live in Santa Ana, but find myself playing most of my rounds out at Goose Creek. 4 hour rounds, $70 walking, and an interesting course design make up for the extra 30-45 minutes in the car.

Anybody want to play morning of Dec 28th or 29th?

LOVE Goose Creek. Pre-kids I would get out there as much as I could. Can’t make those dates unfortunately, but good looking out. Usually play Thur AM at Tustin Ranch if you ever want to join…

Doh, sorry I missed this! I finally just found this roll call (thought they only had the one for LA). Great course. I am also out of SA - play alot at Mountains Meadows in Pomona.

Are those weekday mornings?

I believe the skins game at Skylinks is Thursdays? Not for the meek, last time I played.

I moved to LB from Culver City in July… Starting to play Lakewood/ElDo/Rec/Skylinks pretty regularly.

I play with South Bay Pub Links too for club matches/maintaining an index.

I am new to the Nest and am moving to Newport Beach from Vancouver, B.C. this Spring.What course would you recommend to be apart of their monthly membership / players program?
Arroyo Trabuco
Tustin Ranch
Oak Creek
Strawberry Farms
Tijeras Creek

Since I won’t know anyone moving down there and am a 29 year old, it would be great to establish a network with guys who love golf, don’t mind pints, and to play regularly in Tourneys/Skins games.

I appreciate your feedback!
Cheers.

1 Like

Welcome home! You’ve pretty much listed out the best courses in Orange County, and you won’t go wrong at any of them. I was a player’s club member at Tustin Ranch and found the member rates vs. rack rates to be a good value. Was actually just looking at Arroyo Trabuco and Tijeras Creek memberships today, and their member rates are comparable. Oak Creek is a little more expensive but personally my favorite OC course (nice place if you’re a big width and angles guy).

Oak Creek and Strawberry Farms are going to be closest to you in Newport, but in my opinion, you’re going to find something to like at all of those courses. Just a matter of preference so I guess you gotta go play 'em. (Happy to join if you’re looking for a second who can’t keep it in play off the tee.)

ed: I take back what I said about Oak Creek being more expensive as I was looking at the guest rate. They’re all pretty much the same, by design, I’m sure.

1 Like

@Cohiba_Escobedo Thanks for the quick response and insight! I might take you up on that offer as a second once I move down and looking forward to playing all of those locations.

1 Like

My personal take (which is worth what you’re paying for it!) on the courses you listed:

Arroyo Trabucco: good track, conditions can get a bit out of hand occasionally. Plays in some up and down terrain with (essentially) ob left and right on most holes. Not walkable, if that matters, and you have to hit it pretty straight. I like AT.

Tustin Ranch: haven’t played it since high school, but it’s a bit too residential for me and I’m not a huge fan of Ted Robinson designs.

Oak Creek: I call Oak Creek my home course. Plenty of room to hit it off the tee, but approaches can be challenging if you miss in the wrong spot. The fun part about it is you’re always in the hole and not your pocket. Conditions get “crispy” but I can’t remember the last time I had bad conditions there. When it’s dry out, the place plays fast and firm and is at its peak fun. I walk about half my rounds here.

Strawberry Farms: I’m medium on SF. In my option the shoved a par 72 18 hole course into a piece of land that was meant for something less. There are some good holes out there, but also some terrible holes.

Tijeras Creek: another course I’m medium on, although I would play here over SF most days. The front side is pretty residential, but the back side is not. Handful a fun holes here, with nothing that stands out as awful.

For quick casual hit and giggles you also have The Mats (Newpot Beach Golf Course) and Ben Browns. I hit these up when I’m looking to hit balls around a course in board shorts and a tee shirt while drinking some beers. The Mats has a muni/my first golf course feel, but I have fun walking around there. Ben Browns has a cool classic feel set back in a cool looking canyon.

1 Like

Played at Ben Browns last week for the first time and really loved it. Wish it was a little closer so I could pop out after work. Still might be worth the drive.

Played the mats last night and played the back 9 and then went around the 11-13 loop until the lights went off. Not a bad way to spend $17 on a Wednesday night.

1 Like

@Filmoore Thanks for the insight! I usually walk my rounds to get some extra exercise but won’t let cart only deter me from AT. Oak Creek is probably my number one given their practice facilities, the only drawback, at least from my research, there are no weekly skins or monthly tournaments to play in. I could also be way off on this (usually the case). I also agree with you on Tustin, not the biggest fan of playing heavy residential courses but can’t knock it til I try it.

Ben Brown does look like a fun relaxed spot, definitely need to check that out on a weekend and I am super close to Newport Beach GC. Much appreciated!

You’re right in that there isn’t an Skins Game there. They have attempted to put together a few organized events, but they seem sporadic so I’m not sure how well they have been attended. While I enjoy playing the course, it’s run for pure profit and not much of an am golf junkie scene.

Not sure what your budget looks like, but Aliso Viejo Country Club isn’t too bad to reach from Newport (via the 73 tollroad). It is a ClubCorp course, so there are some minor drawback to that, but it’s a fun track and typically in great shape. A lot of members walk it, but it takes 2 or 3 rounds to get used to the hike do to the elevation changes. I was a member there for 3 years, but after kid #2, my rounds per month dropped down to the point that it no longer made financial sense. There is an active Mens Golf Association that puts on 6 or so events per year, a Friday afternoon skins game and Tuesday night league play during the summer. After playing a few events and getting to know some of the guys, you’ll find that there is enough of an appetite to always have some units (shoutout Cat) on a game on Saturday or Sunday.

Night golf at The Mats used to be my spot before kids. It’s such a unique spot for the usually shined and polished OC.

Aliso CC might be a bit of a stretch on the ol’ budget but I’ll take a look into it when I move down, especially if I’m targeting 75-100 rounds for the year (no kids…yet). You have really sold me on the Mats to refine my short game though.

All the courses mentioned so far are fun. Been playing the Back 9 and Breakfast at Tijeras lately and for $50 you’re playing the much more interesting side of the course and the breakfast is more than decent. I think they do it on Friday-Sunday mornings only.

The Chinese restaurant there is 100% a health department closure in the making