Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

I could refer you to a professional seam ripper for training elsewhere in this forum.

1 Like

Playing a Sunday (5/1), (4PM) match with @Biarritz at Mayfield C.C.
Open invite if anyone is interested in completing the foursome.

8 Likes

The fact that Scioto undid everything Jack did gives me a glimmer of hope for Scarlet. Maybe if Scioto’s renovations get loud enough praise, we’ll see Scarlet follow suit?

4 Likes

I think there is a whole other level of bureaucracy that comes into play with OSU, that would question whether they want to do anything. Given that they host collegiate and a KFT event I’m not sure they think there is a problem.

Also wouldn’t expect them to diss a living legend like that. Maybe, 5-10 years after Jack passes you might start to see some traction, but I would be shocked if anything happens sooner if at all.

Then given that membership is well north of 800 people that’s another obstacle.

Just too many hurdles to clear.

5 Likes

I almost included something in my last post about thinking it’s probably out of the question until Jack passes. Totally agree with there being more bureaucracy/red tape to deal with being that it’s under OSU’s umbrella, too.

Still, if Scioto gets praise, and with That School Up North having a McKenzie course that’s frequently compared directly with Scarlet (with Scarlet getting rightfully shat on in such comparisons), a boy can dream…

2 Likes

I’m with you man, unfortunately that’s just not how the machine (OSU) works.

It’s the reason they jam 105k into the horseshoe when 80k with seats would be much more pleasant.

It’s the reason the Schott was built instead of staying in St. John’s.

It’s the reason the hospital is constantly expanding, or all the high street legacy bars/restaurants are now parking garages or apartments.

If it’s not a vehicle to make money there isn’t that much interest.

4 Likes

Can’t disagree with anything you said there, unfortunately. I still cling to that little glimmer of hope that something might change after Jack’s gone, though, because otherwise (like so many other things in this world that I hope will change but know almost certainly won’t) it’s just too damn depressing :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Wasn’t @Tron going on a couple years ago or last year about how Jack, being a bad guy, has courses sign contracts with him stating that they will not change anything for a certain amount of years or he can come in and change what he wants.

It was something along those lines.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t surprise me, but I wouldn’t be surprised if other architects push for something similar. Can’t be a good look to do a project and then have it wiped out a short time later.

I also believe Jack did the Scarlet re-design pro bono.

4 Likes

Pretty much, it was $1

You get what you pay for, I guess…

6 Likes

I’ve played 2 Nicklaus courses. 1 redesign (valley of the eagles in Elyria) and 1 original (old corkscrew near ft. Myers, Florida). Valley of the eagles is awesome. Old corkscrew was stupid hard and way overpriced. I’ve always heard the stories about his designs being lackluster but I’ve never truly experienced it. What are some others that I can see for myself how bad it truly is?

I would absolutely love to sign up for a 36 hole day. Sleepy in the morning, Mayfield in the afternoon, but this makes me think that no golf is getting played.

:thinking: is it though?

2 Likes

It never rains in Cleveland!

I’ll get in the habit of throwing out invites to my rounds at Sand Ridge and Mayfield this summer. Happy to host any and all that have the urge to play.

10 Likes

I like it a lot. Pretty fairly priced too.

1 Like

@flanwilder Can’t tell if this is a bit…

2 Likes

To each their own

1 Like

I totally agree that they won’t touch scarlet for at least 10 years after Jack passes. St John arena was sick. I remember going to Randy Ayers bball camp as a kid.

My wife works at OSU, graduated from there and she hates campus area now. It’s lost that “feel” she said. Too corporate. At least Buckeye Donuts is still there.

1 Like

Curious what doesn’t do it for you?

I’ve heard very conflicting opinions. Someone told me early on after the redo that it sucked but might get better as it matures. Others have said it’s always sucked and still does. Others have really liked it. I need to see for myself. Only thing I’ve been told that I already don’t like is that it’s basically unwalkable.