Roll Call: North Carolina

I posted in the CLC whatsapp but figured I should also post here. I booked 11:06am on Saturday 11/27 at Foxfire Grey, I have a coupon for $49 for two players, so $25ish each with the tax and all. There are still coupons available if someone wanted to grab another, it’s just me on the tee time so if no other takers I’ll cancel it, but figured I’d give it a shot and see if anyone wanted to play. We confirmed last time out Grey is the one with bentgrass greens. If anyone wants some golf to burn off the Thanksgiving calories, let me know! (although probably going to ride since Grey is supposed to be hilly, and I’m in terrible shape)

@Jeff_M - I’m in the area up in Winston Salem seeing family and would be open to joining you on Saturday. Feel free to DM directly, but looking forward to teeing it up on Saturday.

Hey man, sorry for the change of plan, I had something come up for Sat. I was thinking about re-booking for Sunday, let me know if you’d still be available.

Edit: ok apparently my FIL is coming in town Sunday, but I worked out Saturday, 11:15 now if that’s ok. Sorry for all the last minute shenanigans

Would anyone be interested in playing Southern Pines Monday 12/13 or Tuesday 12/14?

SIAP but I am behind on my NLU content (catching up on TS Michigan and just listened to the Nest pod for November) and I just heard about the Roost / local leagues for 2022. Awesome idea by the guys.

The wife and I just moved to Wilmington. Bit of a change from the Midwest but we love it so far. Anyway - The guys on the Pod mentioned that North Carolina does a match play series? Anybody have details on that? Also does anyone know if there will be a local Wilmington or NC roost/club if there isn’t already one?

Thanks in advance for any helpful feedback! Cheers!

3 Likes

We will for sure set up the matchplay for 2022 again. I’ll make sure to post it in here when it happens, but if you want to see the thread from last year: The CLC Matchplay

This whats app is where a lot of communication happens as well, but it can be a busy place - WhatsApp Group Invite

4 Likes

Awesome. Appreciate it!

Just turn off notifications in the WhatsApp thread or it will drive you crazy.

1 Like

Welcome to SE NC!! I am about 45 minutes N of ILM but play in the region often. There are a few in the refuge and on the chat from the ILM area so feel free to reach out. The match play series was amazing so definitely keep you eyes open for the 2022 series…

1 Like

Dropping in to ask the gang in here if anyone has ever played Chockoyotte CC in Roanoke Rapids. My dad and I are in the Raleigh area for a family event this week and are looking for a place to play on our way back North. It looks private but I called and they said we should be able to get on no problem (did not ask for what price for a public tee time). Looks like a Big Mape (Ellis Maples) that they’re billing as a Ross (classic). Looks pretty tasty in the satellite. Any feedback from anyone?

1 Like

I’ve never played it, but a good friend of mine grew up playing there and had nothing but good things to say about it.

Benvenue is the best course in that neck of the woods.

1 Like

Oh, that looks very tasty and is right on our route. Do you think it would be a similar situation in that we could give them a call and get on? I’d only be too happy to lean on my love for Donald and wanting to see more of his work.

2 Likes

They seem like the kind of place where a phone call might work to get you on.

2 Likes

DBD, can’t thank you enough for the Benvenue recommendation. They welcomed a couple PA Yankees with open arms. Despite putting off the green THRICE (which I managed to not do a single time at Pinehurst #2 this summer), my dad and I had what we both agreed was one of our most enjoyable rounds of 2021, together or individually. We arrived to an empty parking lot and were greeted kindly by the lone pro shop attendant at around 8:45. The place was dead and we had the course to ourselves, didn’t see another soul until we were on the 7th hole which was a group walking up 1. It was golf heaven for December. Mid 60 degrees by the turn, wide open holes in front and behind, and a fantastically entertaining Ross layout with what genuinely seemed like Pinehurst greens turned up to 11. These things were BULBOUS and if you were above the hole, forget it. Most courses say you can’t be, yadda yadda heard it all before. Not at Benvenue. You CANNOT be above the hole. Because if you are, and you don’t hit the hole in your downhill putt, prepare to say bye bye. Earlier in my golfing life I would’ve sulked and whined that it was too hard but we just laughed and joked and yelled “you got ROSSED” each time it happened to one of us. I couldn’t care less that I probably had 40+ putts today. I’m going to remember this round and how much fun I had for a long time, and if you are traveling down 95 with a group headed to Pinehurst and want to cut down on your drive and get a warmup for what to expect in the Sandhills, you would be hard pressed to find a better place. Give them a call and go see these greens for yourself. My iPhone 8 is the equivalent of taking photos on a potato at this point but hopefully these do the course some kind of justice.

Processing: 4DB89AB1-DC83-47F4-AF64-10F210DBC033.jpeg…
Processing: 9CC7E473-2C1F-4FFF-913F-7FC38E63087F.jpeg…
Processing: 04687519-FB65-4995-9672-CAC98AF8146D.jpeg…
Processing: 17283A10-BF54-40B5-A8AD-ABEA4BE06523.jpeg…
Processing: 46112945-41B5-466C-BF22-6B2C340A0923.jpeg…

10 Likes

Those greens are soooooo tiny. Very difficult.

1 Like

Pinehurst 2 waa great today and met all expectations.

10 Likes

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, it’s a really good Ross.

1 Like

So I looked up Chockayatte GC, it opened in 1972 and was designed by Ellis Maples and Donald Ross (???). Maybe he rose from the dead

4 Likes

I alluded to this in my earlier post as well. It’d be interesting to know if there were some kind of drawings or plains laid out by Ross that were never built until later when Ellis Maples was building his own courses. Not uncommon at all for courses with tenuous Ross ties at best to claim him though! You’d think the 1972 built date would require at least some clarification somewhere though…

1 Like

If one wanted to be generous, it is possible that the people putting that data together did a less than great job a tracing development.

For instance, does that info mean that it was redesigned in 1972 or built in 1972?

Another site attributes the course to Maples in 1956.