Roll Call: North Carolina

I was very surprised to hear The Fried Egg say he liked the stretch from 12-17. I mean, it’s better than 10 & 11, sure. But 16 is also memorably bad.

18 is awesome finisher though

1 Like

I’ve never played the Grove Park Inn but I hear it is solid although overpriced in peak season so the reduced rate is probably a good deal. As has been said, Asheville muni is a Ross front nine and something very different on the back nine, but its worth a play once. Apple Valley is a very good course and I think just re-opened with new greens. I’ve also heard good things about Broadmoor although have never played it personally.

1 Like

$29 for a One-Time Member-for-a-Day Opportunity: 18 Holes with Cart and Range Balls at Deep Springs Country Club in Stoneville near Greensboro ($63 Value. Good Any Time until August 1, 2021!)

really enjoyed this layout when we played here in sept, ellis maples design with a lot of character.
groupgolfer.com

1 Like

VA guise officially challenging yall

4 Likes

The boys decided against driving, golf, and driving again, and we all got a little hot with some Draft Kings bets this weekend so we booked Mid Pines. I’m excited to see it in June with a dry/fast course vs when we played it last March. Also gives us some extra time in the Southern Pines area for some food/drinks. Thanks for the information!

if your sister lives right next to it, GPI for $77 seems like a pretty fair rate.

not sure i would go out of my way to pay $77 to play it, but if youre going to be right there near it, id go ahead and check it out personally.

we played it in the fall and found it to be enjoyable enough…wasnt wowwed by any stretch of the imagination and thought the staff could have been a lot better, but its a fun enough course none the less

1 Like

Thanks to everyone on this thread who gave info on Tobacco Road, put me in the camp of people who love it! We walked with pushcarts and it was just a great experience. Weather was excellent and while conditions were soft we still got most of the TR experience, I believe. Would play that course everyday.

We also played Pinehurst No. 4, No. 8, No. 9 and No. 5 and while TR didn’t have quite the conditioning of some of those courses, it was the most “fun” and had the most memorable holes of the trip. Will definitely be back to TR (cannot say the same about No. 8). I think I had a fair bit of luck as well because I hit a few shots at the center of greens that then funneled like 20 yards towards the pin to give me a few undeserved tap-in birdies.

5 Likes

1 Like

Love to hear it! You certainly got some interesting conditions because the wettest winter on record in the area was not kind to TR. They are in the sandhills area, but was an old sand mine, so they literally removed all the “good” sand decades ago. Not to mention with the greens that often help funnel to the pin, water will pool and the greens still show that.

That being said the memorable experience is all you can ask for!

1 Like

I have a 1:40 next friday at Tot Hill, 2 spots open if anyone is interested. Would love to play with someone who has experience there.

1 Like

I wish I could join you. One of my favorite courses anywhere. I hope you enjoy it as well!

2 Likes

I may be able to be your sherpa. I will see if I can get the afternoon off. Don’t hold a spot if you can fill them with someone else.

1 Like

Anyone have recommendations for a club builder in the Greensboro/Triad area? Picked up a new set of irons for YOTB and will be looking to get them re-shafted. I’m probably gonna supply my own shafts and ferrules and I’ll install grips myself, so only needing shafts swapped out.

1 Like

@yungbunzz

4 Likes

I would be able to help you out.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll shoot you a dm once I get all the supplies together, currently very indecisive with what ferrules I want.

Do you mean the 12th or 19th. I get confused with the next (weekday) vs this (weekday). Everyone uses it different.

We’ll be there the 19th, then playing at longleaf on the 20th, also an open a lot there for Saturday…curious you said you work at the zoo? Pretty sure my wife and sons are going to end up coming down too and visiting the zoo on Saturday now.

1 Like