Roll Call: North Carolina

no love for jamestown or holly ridge?

played blair park saturday am and it was in fantastic shape…heard the greens at oak hollow are running a smooth 6-7 these days

Olde Homeplace was the least arousing of any course I’ve played in NC

I really like Holly Ridge and live about 10 min from it but the guy I play with most hates it. He says it is way to hot with no shade anywhere on the course. can’t say he is wrong but I really like the layout. Old Home Place I play weekday only. It was $28 last time I was there. I haven’t been back to Jamestown in a while. Last time I went they had just redone their greens and they were hard as rocks. Would not accept anything. I should give them another shot. Blair is fun track. It is usually really slow play but I have enjoyed a round there many times.

1 Like

I walk whenever I play at Olde Homeplace and I don’t know if it’s just the pro shop being nice cause I’m in there a lot or if anyone would get the same rate but it’s only $20 ($18 with cash) anytime on a weekday.

1 Like

nice, ive never seen them publish a rate without a cart so not sure if youre getting hooked up or not

always thought it was old that place had gps though

have you played holly ridge or sapona?

Welcome @UncleTeeBag I live close to Falls Village, though most of my rounds have been in the Sandhills with the guis. I did play Falls a few weeks ago for the first time in a few years and it’s much better than it used to be.

You should consider joining the Royal and Ancient Company of Dishonorable Golfers. We have a very active chapter, with a large number of us in the Triangle.

I agree that olde homeplace is pretty boring visually but the layout isn’t bad compared to other courses in the area. I also don’t think a course has wow you visually to be worth playing.

i mean holly ridge is a links golf course, so yeah there arent an abundance of trees by any means, but there are still plenty of trees on most holes you can catch some shade

jamestowns greens are hard, but not really any harder than any other place with bermuda greens in the area

they get good and firm in the summer though, i agree with you on that, but they are much more enjoyable than the bent at oak hollow IMO

blair park is a cheap muni option so of course the pace of play isnt going to be the best…i dig it though, solid course for varying skill levels…i played there saturday with some guys from church, a couple of us play weekly for the most part and we had a guy who had only played once before…everyone had a good time

sounds like we need to get a game!

i mean, it is what it is…an old farm that someone put a golf course on

its not going to be in any golf architecture magazine or anything, but its usually in above average conditions and the greens stay pretty true

its not worth what they are charging these days though IMO, not with what else is around

i feel like they got real proud of it with their most recent price increase in april

I actually just finished walking 36 at Holly Ridge this morning. I really enjoy the greens out there and think the whole experience is good. Just further away than OH for me so I don’t get out there as much. I haven’t played Sapona but I want to.

1 Like

where do you live?

id drive an extra 45 minutes at least to play holly ridge over OH any day of the week

the greens alone to me are worth the trip, plus F pete dye…RIP pete

the food at holly ridge is lovely as well

plus range balls included in the cost of a round? no brainer

i walked there last week…nice course to walk

real talk, sapona is a great deal IMO

theyve got a real nice layout and some fabulous greens

I am game for a round. Played horrible this past Saturday at Colonial Country Club in Thomasville. First time on that track. I was lucky to get an invite but I wasted it. I need to get back out to forget about that round. Looks like @billythekid should also join us. Plus always looking for fellow walkers. Those are hard to find.

1 Like

In Davidson County so I’m like less than 10 minutes from OH, 30 from HR. I agree that HR is a lot nicer and a bargain with the range balls, overall experience, etc. I think I just keep going back to OH causes it’s cheaper, closer, and it’s the course I’ve played more than anywhere else so I can’t seem to let it go haha.

1 Like

ive yet to make it out to colonial, but have heard some really good things about it

they do a member for a day thing there im pretty sure

i hear you and understand completely…i just really dont like the soft and hairy greens at OH in the summer time

come on over to jimmytown some day

I need to, played it once and don’t remember any of it.

1 Like

its a lot tighter and not as scenic as OH and the greens are like putting in the parking lot in the middle of the summer :slight_smile:

1 Like

hey all! moving to Charlotte at the end of the month from Columbia, SC and I haven’t played too much around the Queen City. Wanted to see what course recommendations some might have. Also if you’re looking for a 4th hit me up! I’m a 11hc and playing 3-4 times a month at the moment

5 Likes

Except for 10, hate that hole!