Roll Call: Michigan - support the Green Fairway Fellowship!

So we’re actually doing this exact trip in August

• Pilgrims Run
  • Arcadia South
  • Mantou Passage
  • Cedar and Legend at Shanty Creek
  • Forest Dunes

:drooling_face:

1 Like

That will be awesome - good for you! Can’t wait to hear about it.

https://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/forest-dunes-new-short-course

The article on it doesn’t mention when but I can’t see why it wouldn’t open by the end of next year. It’s a 1,038 yard, 10 hole course so I can’t see it taking very long for them to shape.

Thanks for the link!

My group is especially excited about these comments:

…but when it does, Thompson will allow eightsomes, music and bare feet.

And

“Grab a few clubs, a few drinks, and let’s go,” says Thompson. “If you come to Forest Dunes, we want you to enjoy yourself.”

Any of you Northern MI folks or visitors played The Leelanau Club at Bahle Farms (website)? We played it for the first time yesterday and I was really surprised - excellent condition, a mix between pretty open and some tight, but not super tight holes, and about the same price as Elmbrook. Only ran into a couple other groups on beautiful weekday early evening 18. Curious if anyone else has thoughts on it or why it seems to be forgotten in the mix with the other courses here.

I was up in Leland for a bachelor party a few weekends ago and without knowing anything about the course we ended up at Bahle for 27 holes. Even though it was cool temps and a off and on rain we still had a blast. I was also really surprised at both the condition and the layout of the course. Some great elevation changes. I go to Treetops every year for a bigger golf weekend and Bahle reminded me a lot of the Treetops courses with the mix of tree lined holes, elevation change, hilly fairways, etc. Very affordable prices too. I’ll play it again if I get back up to that area!

1 Like

Hey All,

Doing a buddies trip July 4th weekend over in Muskegon. Would love some gems in the area for us to check out.

onward

Pilgrim’s Run is one of my favorite courses in the state - it’s about an hour East.

Making the trip from Des Moines to Charlevoix tomorrow after work. Scheduled to play Belvedere on Sunday and Bay Harbor on Monday. I think I am actually more excited about Belvedere from the feedback I received here when I posted back in February.

1 Like

Belvedere is great. Played here for the first time since their reno a few years ago and it’s a total blast. Good vibes all over the place and I love that it’s one of the few courses “up north” you can actually walk.

Also, their merch game is strong due to the new flag logo they have. You can do some serious damage in their shop.

1 Like

Bay Harbor is right on Lake Michigan and is nice. If you have time, head over to Boyne Highlands, sister resort of Bay Harbor, and play any of their four courses.

1 Like

Would love your impressions of northern MIchigan golf when you finish your trip. I’m stuck way over here in the mid-Pacific in Hawaii and definitely miss summer golf back home!

1 Like

You poor thing!

1 Like

We played Belevedere on Sunday and I loved it! I can understand why some of you suggested just playing it a bunch. I was ready to go straight to 1 tee after finishing, but unfortunately the family had other plans. Hoping to sneak back out before heading home.

Monday we were set to play bay harbor links-Quary. Started to rain on 3 of the links and had no sign of stopping. We finished the links 9 and got a rain check to comeback. Some incredible views for sure on the links overlooking Lake Michigan. A couple of the holes seemed to be a little bit “gimicky” to me but still a lot of fun.

Totally agree about gimmicky Bay Harbor. DIdn’t want to burst your bubble before you saw it but if you use raincheck head over to Boyne HIghlands!

1 Like

So we decided last minute to get 18 in this morning at Dunmaglas since it’s only about 3 mins from where we are staying. Did not have high expectations at all from what I was told by the folks we are visiting, but I gotta day I really enjoyed it. Some incredible views and just an awesome piece of property overall with some really fun holes. Greens were really difficult to figure out after playing Belvedere and Bay Harbor as they were very soft and spongy and nowhere near the speed. It seems like a not as well known course but again it was very fun and I would probably play it again if I ever make it back up here in the future.

Yeah, that course is tucked away pretty well! There’s so many northern Michigan courses like that … not “rated” or “known,” but beautiful, fun and affordable. Enjoy!

Another southeastern Michigan resident here. Currently in Lake Orion but originally from EL. We should have NLU events every so often in different parts of the state.

Love this course - Beeches - just east of South Haven. $45 to walk peak rate, $30 weekday. Played it twice in the last few days and it exceeded expectations. Wide off the tee, heather-faced fairway bunkers, multi-tier large greens, good variety of linksy holes and woodlands holes, just really fun. I hear locals call it too tricked up, so you know they did something right :stuck_out_tongue:

Used to be my home course and my dad plays there 5 times a week. Glad you enjoyed it. Parents still live 5 minutes down the road.

The property used to be an alfalfa farm and one day was bought up and they started building a golf course on it.

1 Like