Roll Call: Michigan - support the Green Fairway Fellowship!

This is the way. Also, the clubhouse serves one of the best breakfasts I’ve ever had.

1 Like

The Loop is a must play IMO even if it is just one way. The absolute most fun I have had while being fisted by a golf course in my life the first time there, give it a go.

2 Likes

Super helpful advice from everybody. Really appreciate it!

I’m looking forward to the recommended beer at Arcadia. I’m hoping to squeeze in two rounds of the South, which should take me pretty close to sunset.

It looks like Pilgrim’s is definitely on the list, mainly because the way the itinerary works out I’ll play it on my way to GR from The Loop (which will be a single round, but hopefully I won’t hate it).

So I guess right now the last decision is whether I play Diamond Springs or Stoatin Brae. They look completely different, but both sound enjoyable. Any thoughts?

1 Like

I played them both last summer for the first time. Personally I enjoyed Stoatin Brae a lot more. Granted, I couldn’t get off the tee at Diamond Springs, but I found SB more interesting, bouncy, and a different style of golf. I wanted to go right back out and play another 18 as soon as we finished.

2 Likes

I like the sound of bouncy and different. My finalized itinerary, then:

Sun: play Sandbox; depart @ 11 am to Manitowoc ferry (2.5 hrs). Ferry departs @ 2 pm.
Mon: Arcadia Bluffs. Play South Course. Preferably 36 if possible.
Tues: The Loop
Wed: Pilgrim’s Run (enroute from Forest Dunes). Add Mines if feeling spry.
Thurs: Stoatin Brae, then head to Chicago

Thanks to all for their input!

11 Likes

I’ll agree with the conditioning going down a little bit in the last couple of years (also play it at least once a month), but you can walk it for $38 during the week which definitely qualifies as affordable even though rates have gone up in recent years. The amount of play it gets has gone up a ton since like '18/'19 as well which probably factors into it.

1 Like

Very true re: amount of play. I only ever get there on weekends so haven’t been able to take advantage of the mid-week rates (a me issue, not a DS issue). I just get annoyed when TFE or SSC present it as Kinglsey for $30, which it decidedly is not. It’s a great, affordable, public course for sure, but the mystique being created isn’t necessarily accurate.

Unrelated, if you’re that close and looking for a round in the area sometime shoot me a note. I’m a member at Macatawa but play a fair bit at other local courses.

1 Like

Some hot takes in here right now and I like it I am on the other end as DS SB are both in my top 5 publics possibly and for sure in my top 10 in Michy so that right there is wild for a couple of places in BFE be thankful you guys have amazing tracks because we do not have publics on the Eastside with any kind of thoughtful design like those gems! If you are not from Michigan and visiting Pilgrims Run is a great example and the best of Northern Michigan tree lined country track feels.

6 Likes

Leslie Park disagrees!

1 Like

Truth. @jawnnypage and I had that convo at the mines last year

2 Likes

Nowwww this is a hot take give me some highway adjacent funk with no water bills built into the muni model and I ll play her but pry not in the top 20 :kissing_heart::woozy_face:

1 Like

I’ve only seen it once but loved they layout. Need to see it in better weather, while also NOT getting waxed my @57_Flavors

2 Likes

heck yeah and we need to get you to the westside so I can show you how us country boys do it :wink:

1 Like

Way in on that! I’ll be up in charlevoix next month I believe. Excited to see some northern mi golf

1 Like

Ha, I remember the match being closer than that. But down for a rematch any time.

Course is even better to play in nicer weather when you can get some actual rollout.

1 Like

I will take you up on that for sure!

Just an FYI if there are any dropouts, my plans during Maxamania changed and I am now wide open to play!

We’re got open spots still. Put your info back up on the form, and I will add you to one of the threesomes.

1 Like

Signed up (again) and Paid @JDGAFFLIN

3 Likes

Hell yeah!!!

1 Like