Roll Call - Metro NYC

So the morning has been really hit or miss, I think the day I mentioned was certainly a bit of an anomaly given the holiday. A few weeks back I showed up on a Saturday morning (good weather day) at 6 and there were multiple tee times available on Black between 630-7 and then I’ve shown up and nothing until late morning/early afternoon.

I live nearby so it’s not a big deal for me if I get shut out, in your situation I’d either consider the BPI or sit on the website the night before clicking refresh until your finger falls off looking for a cancellation. The latter has a high chance of success but the time will disappear in a few seconds so you have to grab it immediately. I suggest you keep a bottle of whiskey close to the mouse for this activity.

2 Likes

Quick fingers and a scotch. It’s gotten me many tee times.

1 Like

What else has it got you?

2 Likes

Was testing the tee time booking system last night, as I’m hoping to play the black the last week of July. I ended up securing a 850a 2some on black for 7/23 that I have no intention of using. Is this in your trip window? Happy to coordinate my cancellation for anyone interested in scooping up the time.

Definitely a mixed bag, with real potential. Suneagles @ Fort Monmouth has a very good back (17th green is a mess however), and a so so front (back and forth holes, and some holes along busy streets). My guess is it has the most potential in Jersey for a renovation. Here is an old pictorial - http://myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/SunEagles/index.html?

@Zocco - I almost bought the shirt for the insanity of the clipart logo!! Bad logistics with pro shop and mask back in my bag prevented it… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Anyone here play Cherry Valley Club? Playing for my first time Thursday and just curious of what anyone thinks about it/ things to look out for.

1 Like

Managed to snag a 710am twosome with my buddy at Rock Spring Saturday. Was a joyous occasion and I managed to beat my friend who has been whooping me this year. Won by 1 in the match and 2 in stroke play, 80 for me, 82 for him. I really love Rock Spring and I hope I can get out there many more times. Was a very pleasant walk despite the scorching heat.

8 Likes

That was my uncle’s home course, and played it once or twice a year, but have not been back in a few. It’s an old, well established, historic LI club. A true “gentle handshake” opening par 4, then back to back dogleg par 5s. For a flat site, there’s some cool movement in the land. I think it’s #7 that the entire fairway twists right to left.

Some dramatic slopes and tiers on the greens, which roll fast. I believe they did ongoing tree removal, and renovations in the last 10-15years. (My uncle said there was grumbling among membership about how “brown” things looked, but I thought it was great!). Couple of long par 3’s and 17 is short, but dangerous if you miss the green short or left.

I’m not sure how much Emmet design was altered, but it seems pretty much the original routing. I’d say it 's a great place to play everyday, not a push over, but also nothing truly super wow about it. Some of the greens are closing in on wow. Stay below the holes except for false fronts, and you’ll be fine.

Although you need to take your hat off when entering the clubhouse, and no cell phones, it still feels pretty laid back. Enjoy it. Interested in knowing what you think!

1 Like

Thanks for the note on walking. They were carts only weekend mornings, but I assume with CV-19 that they modified that policy. Looks great…

Played it last spring, really fun spot. Super nice green complexes, nothing too critical off the tee and your host will be able to provide the correct line on each hole. As mentioned, a lot of tree removal over the years and a healthy fescue likely growing in this time of year between holes will be your major enemy out there. I played on a cold/windy April day, would love to get back out with favorable temps.

Recently renovated the clubhouse bar area, it’s super nice and a big window overlooks the course. Extremely friendly staff and membership, enjoy!

1 Like

luckily my host is the pro

1 Like

I played split rock last weekend and had the same experience. Mosquitos were so bad on the front 9 I couldnt focus at all. It was the worst I’ve ever experienced in my life. I do not recommend.

Do you pay for the “membership” or got lucky with the morning tee time? I played Saturday morning also but had to check daily for a cancellation. Really enjoy the track but its tough to get a morning time on the weekend.

My friend got lucky checking for cancellations 2 days before I think. I was originally planning to play van cortland solo at 6am so was thrilled with how it went down.

Interesting note, we never really saw the group in front of us or behind us, yet twice on hole 12-15 the ranger gave us crap for not being “tee to green” with the group in front of us. Just shrugged it off as we clearly weren’t holding anyone up.

I made my desktop background on my computer a slideshow of rock spring and now I’m just daydreaming of going back and breaking 80.

It must be the marshy surroundings of Pelham split rock. So hard to play and enjoy life with mosquitos swarming like that.

How itchy are you today?!

I wonder if van cortland has similar issues??

The amount of bites I have that went through my clothes is ridiculous. I think the front 9 is just very lowland marsh and with all that long grass it’s just… shudders yuck
I’ve actually never played Vanny. Let me know how it is! I’m going to Michigan for a few weeks. Hoping the mosquitos are all dead when I get back. Fingers crossed

1 Like

I’ve been in those bunkers a many of times

1 Like

I hit three wood and was just right of the fairway off the tee shot, pin was in the back. I kinda pushed / faded my approach and thought it was destined to land on top of the right top bunker and roll back in, but surprised myself by landing just on the front edge of the green and ending up pin high.

My buddy crushed driver up the fairway ended on that runway to the green. He shanked his pitch into the right top bunker haha.

I remember thinking walking up to my tee shot damn these are some cool and intimidating bunkers, had to take a photo.

2 Likes

got my first eagle ever at Rock Spring on Sunday morning! pitching wedge into #2 from just off the fairway on the right, caught a nice soft bounce in the rough between left trap and green, rolled toward the flag and disappeared, couldn’t believe it!

4 Likes

Haha yup I took a picture and then ended up in the bottom bunker, from which I moved to the top bunker from- lesson learned

1 Like