Roll Call - Metro NYC

I live in Cos Cob and don’t belong to a club currently, but friend of mine joined the Rye Golf Club in Rye, NY and he loves it. I played there once last year and thought it was pretty solid and he said its pretty reasonably priced to join compared to say Westchester CC. My ‘home course’ is the Griffith E. Harris or “the Griff” in Greenwich near the Westchester airport, it’s a public course but I think one of the best in the area but because it’s not well known as the Westchester courses it’s generally cheaper and less crowded than others.

4 Likes

From Penn Statiom I hop on the LIRR to Oceanside and play Middle Bay which I find to be a very challenging track on the water where it’s always 15/20mph. They were a well regarded country club destroyed by Sandy and since re-opened as Public. Have done a great job to restore the grounds although the clubhouse is a dilapidated structure. Matts to hit balls off of pre round. They host a few qualifiers for LIGA events.

Anyone play any LIGA events? I played the LI-Open/Am/Mid-Am last year for the very first time. Got to play an awesome private course St George’s in the Am (didn’t qualify but still a great day of golf) and got 2 rounds at another country club Pine Hollow which was a fun Hanse design.

I live in Bridgewater and play out of a public course called High Bridge Hills in Lebanon.

It’s a stout 45 min-hour from Hoboken but basically a straight shot on 78 West.

Course is decent but most redeeming thing is the unlimited range membership for $200 (grass tees). Included in the range membership is $10 greens fees after 4:30 with cart included.

After the first year, they offered me a twilight membership (play after 2 pm) for $999.

Not a bad place if you’re trying to save $$ and get your money’s worth.

1 Like

I live about 10 minutes from Middle Bay, and I caddied there in high school when it was a private club. It’s a great public option for Nassau County, and it’s impressive what the conditions are considering the course was under water during Sandy. I’ve had issues with slow play, however, and no rangers on the course.

Pine Hollow is a nice club, I’ve played there too. It’s not a Hanse design, however, he restored it earlier in his career.

Another good option is Harbor Links, in Port Washington. It’s pricy if you’re not a Town of North Hempstead resident, but it’s a fun layout that’s usually in solid condition. I believe it’s Michael Huzdan and Dana Frye, the same team that deseigned Erin Hills.

1 Like

You are right. Gil is good but not designing from the womb good

golf on LI does an awesome job.

1 Like

Thanks, I’m definitely going to look into Knoll. Appears like a good deal and not far at all.

Public options in this part of Jersey are crumby, either cheap run down county courses or private. Bergen County though has some great private clubs. Ridgewood, Arcola, Hackensack, North Jersey are all close to Wyckoff

2 Likes

This is me. No car, no driver’s license. Although I intend to remedy the second part in the near future, are there any other courses that you guys would recommend that you can take either MTA/LIRR/NJ Transit to, and be within walking distance (or a short Uber) from a given station?

If I have to keep taking the 4 to Woodlawn to play 9-hole Moshulu for the rest of the year, I’m going to flame out quicker than yelling “Boomtower” did on the PGA Tour #sorrySmylie

I’m not really bothered with transit time from Penn,Grand Central, etc. If a course is worth it I’ll gladly sit on a train for an hour-plus. Proximity to a train station is the Holy Grail (anyone that knows the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow feel free to chime in as well.)

Appreciate any and all responses, glad to have a #safespace to hear from fellow Metro NYC golf nuts.

1 Like

you can take a train down to Bay Ridge and uber to Dyker Beach

1 Like

Pound Ridge
Middle Bay
Bethpage Park - 5 courses including Black

All are very short Uber rides to and from train stations in their town

1 Like

Harbor Links in Port Washington. Quick train ride too.

If you are taking the train from penn station to farmingdale to play Bethpage, make sure you buy your LIRR ticket under the “Long Island Getaways”. It’s the same price as the normal fare but also includes a free cab ride to/from bethpage and 10% off a meal at the restaurant in the clubhouse. Make sure to take down the number on the cabs to call for one to take you back to the station at the end of your round!

6 Likes

GolfOnLongIsland is doing its own Muni golf course bracket

https://twitter.com/LI_Golf_Book

1 Like

good article in the golfers journal 3 by @MerchCzar that sums up NYC golf - check it out if you haven’t read it yet

3 Likes

Oooh. I haven’t subscribed yet but I guess I’ll bite now

Not sure if this exactly fits in here, but I was lurking GCA and I saw someone trying to recreate the original Lido on “The Golf Club” http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,65640.0.html

As you know, the “Lido” course we have is a scaled down quasi-replica

Always enjoyed the Knoll West. Growing up it was private or semi-private, so I was always out on the East, which was a shooting gallery and you often took your life in your hands.

Forest Hills here. I’ve played Marine Park and Clearview so far this year. Both are decent shape for “off-season.” I’m looking forward to getting out consistently each weekend from here on out. I’m hoping the Winter storms are finally behind us. I’m going to try like hell to get a tee time on Bethpage Black on 4/14 (bday) when it opens. Hopefully the new reservation system works well.

Clearview has had a lot of trouble with tree damage this year. There were crews clearing out felled trees last weekend; mostly by the par 3 16th. The clubhouse had been without power for some time, but they are up and running again. The kitchen was able to cook only fried food last weekend, but they should be fully operational now.

Marine Park looked pretty good. Not too many flooding issues after the series of Nor’Easters we’ve had. It’s normally windy there but I played there in 40 mph wind gusts… definitely a challenge.

Definitely worth it. They have done a great job fixing the place up after Hurricane Sandy and the greens are generally some of the best in the area, in my opinion.

Definitely pending weather, but most area courses should be aerating the greens in mid-late April. Maybe try out Marine Park in early May to get the full experience.

1 Like