Roll Call: Massachusetts

I am new here to the Refuge. I live in Natick but play most of my golf down at Acushnet River Valley. I was a member at a club for years but gave it up about 8 years ago and just started getting back into golf a couple of years ago.

I can’t wait for the courses to open again. I am looking forward to meeting some people on here. I am always looking for new golf partners.

7 Likes

I’m assuming this is to be taken at face value but it kind of sounds like a euphemism. Cougars or something similar… idk

Anyway, awesome to see new names in here! Like Nandy said, join the WhatsApp if you want, or just fire out private messages/posts on here if you’re looking to play with somebody when golf is once again allowed in the Commonwealth.

Wolf Hollow in Ipswich has like 10 wolves.

1 Like

Haha yeah it’s quite literal. If you were on 7 or 8 at the edge of the Candlewood property, you were close enough to hear them if it was feeding time or something else got them all whipped up. Pretty cool experience.

That property was for sale for $1m fairly recently, although looks off the market now. Would be a fun place for an ultra rich person to maintain their own course.

1 Like

Such a fun course

1 Like

Second that. That stretch on the bag nine is a completely different course and it is awesome.

1 Like

It’s a lot of fun walking through the pine trees then coming around the turn into totally open terrain.

2 Likes

What’s the best public Silva in MA? I like ARV too. Probably Red Tail, though.

Probably red tail, never been but heard a lot of good things

Played at Red Tail a few times and the front nine is nothing special. The back nine is really cool, elevated tee boxes, large waste areas, cool bunker locations. I plan on playing it again once this is over.

The “best” public is Farm Neck on MV, but my favorite is Fresh Pond because it is a zoo and I’ve played there so much.

Can’t say enough good things about the back but as someone who grew up playing the course the front’s gimmicks kinda get stale pretty quick

1 Like

Another Fresh Ponder! I live in Cambridge and have a (currently useless) weekday pass. Hope to see you out there…someday. Cheers!

1 Like

That sounds like the transition from front to back at Butterbrook in Westford. The front 9 is typical new england parkland golf then you walk from 11 green to 12 tee and are treated 5 holes of desert golf outta nowhere. It’s amazing.

Then 17 and 18 slap you right back in the face with parkland golf again.

3 Likes

I lived Cambridge for 7 years and played there weekly for a couple years. Didn’t play last year since moving to Malden. My favorite holes are 7 and 8. Driveable 4 followed by the forced carry 3 over the reeds. So, good.

1 Like

7 is drivable? You swing 120 mph with the driver?

3 Likes

TBO I can’t get it there, but I can get close sometimes. I always try.

I’ll admit that the last time I played FP was in 2001, but I am trying to imagine driving 7 right now. It’s certainly not long, but isn’t in 350?

It is 345 from the scorecard and I once caught a fish This Big.

3 Likes

Yeah we need to fix this when the world opens.

Very very down was planning on trying to play a lot more new courses this year

2 Likes