Roll Call: Maryland

Turgeon is not good.

1 Like

If you had to pick between the following courses, which would you recommend? I plan on exploring new courses in the Frederick area, which seems to have a bunch:

-Whiskey Creek
-PB Dye
-Worthington Manor
-Maryland National
-Musket Ridge

Whiskey is my fav

I would rank

Whiskey
Pb dye
Musket ridge
Worthington
Maryland national

1 Like

Have not played Musket yet, but I would rank:

Whiskey
MD National
Worthington
PB Dye

All are solid courses and typically in good shape.

1 Like

Yes. Should have added something on how I would be happy to play any of them.

NIT qualifier in Roanoke VA

2 Likes

Elevated status. Woa.

2 Likes

“plan on exploring new courses in the frederick area…”
Plan well ahead, because EVERY OTHER GOLFER in the DMV is doing the same thing it would seem.
I’m less than 20 mins from all these courses but mostly play elsewhere because of tee time availability or to avoid 5+ hour rounds (I love musket ridge but they dgaf about pace of play).

2 Likes

In my opinion Worthington and Whiskey are the top tier. I lean Worthington but that is preference and many others would lean Whiskey. They are both great.

Musket is next for me. Then MD National.

PB Dye is a decent course but if you’ve never played there are a lot of blind/deceptive tee shots and all the greens are 3-tiered so pack your short game.

1 Like

I am driving out to OC on Friday. Does anyone have a recommendation for a course to stop at along the way? Was debating River Marsh and Queenstown.

Hog Neck is another option. Everywhere will probably still be soaked after all the rain today.

No kidding but I accepted it when it was still coming down sideways at 4pm. I’ll check out Hog Neck it was also on the short list.

Hog Neck will be the most budget friendly. Have not played River Marsh in a few years but always enjoyed it. Have played the QH River a good amount lately and it has been in decent shaped. Unsure about the Lakes course.

FYI Hog Neck is only a Par 71 at the moment. Hog Neck is awful when it comes to drainage and 10 and 12 are been par 3s for a good 4 months. 12 was finally back up to its normal par 4 yesterday (hardest hole on the course IMO) 10 is still a par 3 and was probably pretty close before the rain today. We aerated last week but they are small holes so they still roll pretty decent. Course is slower coming into shape for the season

1 Like

River Marsh has had issues since Covid with conditions because they have been short-staffed since they are a Hyatt resort. M It was fine when I played it at the beginning of the month tho

You almost can’t go wrong with any in that list- that would be my top 5 in the region. For me, any of those could be #1 or #5 based on conditions, but IMHO:

1. Whiskey Creek
  2. Worthington
  3. Musket Ridge
  4. Maryland National
  5. PB Dye
2 Likes

Status report: Rum Pointe yesterday. 40MPH wind gusts. Walking. In pants. 5:15 hour round. No benches on the entire goddamn property.

But hey, it was 35 bucks. Beautiful course. It’s officially club tossing szn.

IMG_20210327_094005

8 Likes

Another Timbers check in. Played yesterday, walking for $35. Course was in good shape for this time of the year. Painfully slow though. The round took 4:50, waiting on every shot. Major backups on 3, 5, 9, 12, & 17.

1 Like

I advocate for walking at every opportunity but Timbers does not make it easy. #5 could really use a walking bridge.

1 Like

Just a heads up: Eisenhower tee times are now live on their site, as of 10 minutes.

6 Likes