Roll Call: Maryland

I’ve played it countless times, and while it’s not my favorite course, It’s a beautiful piece of property and a great place to host a big tournament. Glad to see it getting a PGA event. I haven’t seen the place for about 10 years so I’m curious to see what changes have been made.

Yeah definitely excited to see the pros play it. When I was there for the Senior Players they had flipped the 9s and I think even re routed some of the holes.

@JohnnyPanton, I’d be happy to have you out there sometime this fall. It takes years- lifetimes, even- to figure out those greens.

1 Like

Although @Randy would likely not approve, I’ve also signed up to be a paid volunteer…

PUMPED and very hopeful that we can get a full attendance event next year.

2 Likes

I’d be happy to take you up on that offer. I’ll gladly reciprocate with an invite to my home course in Towson.

I definitely did not come close to figuring out the greens during my match on Saturday.

1 Like

Really? I always liked the front 9 way better than the back, mainly because it’s more open. I’m curious how much longer it will play for the pros. It always looked like there was room to lengthen some of the holes, and it was always their intention to host big PGA events there.

It’s maddening, because there are large and obvious undulations that you see and say “OK, I think I know what’s happening here.” But there are also these smaller hills and valleys sprinkled in that can only be seen from certain angles that just take dozens of misreads to start to feel out.

I stopped by yesterday to get in a quick 9 and the pro said the state matches were still playing- guessing a different division, though, as he told me we were getting beat badly. That must have been a brutal back 9 with the weather that came in.

I’ll message you about some potential dates to set something up in the coming weeks/months/before it gets too cold. I just saw we aerate 10/19 so hopefully a couple weeks after that. When we settle on a day maybe @RobertHunter or some of the other refugees I met that the DMV event will be interested in joining?

7 Likes

QH is my home course and man does it ever take a long time to dry out after any kind of rain.

1 Like

Yeah it’s become my home course this year. Hoping it’s dried out some by this weekend after all this rain. They’ve taken a beating this year with the amounts of rain we’ve gotten in short periods of time.

1 Like

What has gone so wrong with the Chartwell renovation? I worked in the cart barn for years back in high school about 15+ years ago. Same with Crofton CC. Live in Chicago now but was bored tonight and reading back through old messages on the MD board. Parents still live in the area and make it back about once a year.

It was great back when it first reopened in the spring when I played it. But supposedly with the extreme heat and heavy rains we had they lost a bunch of the tee boxes and some of the fairways.

They had someone come in to assess the damage and he basically shit all over the super and they fired him on the spot.

Also…we may have worked that cart barn together as I too worked there in high school and parents were members for about 30+ years.

Brian Smack was the asst pro when I was there if I remember correctly. I never got fired but stopped getting scheduled haha. Played on the SP golf team from 01-05.

Gotcha. You were just a few years before me. I played 08 & 09 once I realized I sucked at basketball after my sophomore year. Brian was a good guy (at least to me but like I said my parents were members lol). I’m sure we could go for days on old time Chartwell stories

1 Like

Tons of stories of that place! We should play when I’m back in town next, which is very tbd. And if you are ever in Chicago you have a place to play

1 Like

For sure! My wife has family in Lake Forest who are members at Knollwood I think? We try to get out there once a year

1 Like

Is there any talk of a MD refuge outing next year or anything? I don’t need a good reason to return to the motherland but that would be a great reason

1 Like

I only live like 15 minutes away. Signed up for practice area, standard bearer, or hospitality. Plan to basically live there that week.

2 Likes

Yeah I plan on volunteering Thursday/Friday then using my tickets they give us for Saturday/Sunday

Not yet but we should get a couple on the docket.

1 Like

Dropping this Clicgear cart on Craigslist here for anyone that wants to join the PCM. https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/spo/d/rockville-click-gear-pull-cart/7214362698.html