Roll Call: Maryland

I would rank Wyncote as the best of the courses up in that PA area. Usually in really good shape, no trees in play at all which mean wind usually affects shots, has the longer fescue grass and I think can get that 'firm and fast" type of feel. Haven’t played it this year but from my experiences always a good experience.

The course is in good shape and a fun layout. Some tough holes and some gettable holes. Conditioning generally depends on rain since it’s on the shore if there’s a few days of heavy rain it can hold some water. Once it dries and drains it’s great.

A little farther up in PA is Iron Valley and it is outstanding. Played it many times.

4 Likes

Wyncote is high up on the list for “I’ve driven past this course a million times, need to play it one day”. Looks fun?

1 Like

I think it’s fun. Links—ish course, but fair too, which is a rarity for US links courses since most links courses that aren’t already famous in the US are shit. Built on old farm land, so not many trees.

1 Like

Wyncote was fun, thick fog made for a tough scene on the back 9 but it lifted around hole 15 and I managed a decent round. Conditioning was great, difficulty-wise I’d rate it below Royal Manchester. Seemed like the tall stuff is more in play at Manchester, and it has more blind shots. All in all I’d definitely go back.

2 Likes

Got invited up to play Elkridge this Friday with a buddy and his client that is a member. Anyone have any recent course conditions or tips??

2 Likes

I’m probably very late to this and you are already on the course. Super fun course, not very long, pretty tight. Greens are always in great shape, although we got a ton of rain up here last night.

There is a beautiful Raynor Biarritz (#13) that plays over 230 from the back tees. One of the most interesting green complexes I’ve ever seen.

Also, make sure you get a Southside at the bar.

1 Like

Yeah this place is incredible. For sure old money vibes. But the layout is spectacular and it’s in money shape

1 Like

Snuck a few pics in. The Biarritz on 13 was awesome. Also the green on 17 (not pictured) was great. For a 6400 yard course it gave me the full test. Can only imagine how it would play when it hasn’t rained all summer.

My host was also an all time great guy and gave off great vibes. Former club champ and was a perfect sherpa in showing us how to play the course the proper way.

Edit: I put one in the parking lot on 12 with mega big right miss tying to drive the green (shout out to @MerchCzar). Luckily only hit the roof of the pool house and not the windshield of a Bentley

7 Likes

Tournament pins out at Greystone made for a tough scene. Conditions were good though, and it’s always a nice walk. Just wish they would redo a few of those greens (9,13).

1 Like

That course is so close to being awesome, but the greens are pretty comical in places, and I have no idea who thought the 9th green was okay as is. Its objectively terrible.

Dew sweepin at Mt. Pleasant this am w/ @jhughes2242. Finished 18 in under 3hrs, pretty amazing.

11 Likes

FIRM conditions at Royal Manchester yesterday. Made for really fun golf, despite the tee boxes being completely bare in some spots. Play was quick until the 18th where there were 3 groups stacked up at the tee. No idea what happened there.

I played Piney Branch yesterday for the first time. Besides getting smoked in our State Team matches, the course was playing fairly firm and fast. The greens were very difficult and were extremely fast. I regularly put my ball in all the wrong spots.

I’d like to play there again to get another crack at figuring out the greens.

2 Likes

Broke 80 for the first time since June at Queenstown River today. Course had finally dried out and was playing very firm and fast. Sucks we’re getting more rain the next few days.

6 Likes

NLU newbie, just wandered on here and it’s really cool to see a place to connect with other golfers here in Maryland. I’m in northern Harford County, mostly play local and Southern PA courses but always looking for new courses & people. Our group is taking another crack at Wyncote on Wednesday, our favorite local course.

3 Likes

For those of you who are MSGA members, be on the look out for an email about registering to volunteer for the BMW at Caves next August. I just signed up for Thursday/Friday to do shotlink/scoring.

Cost was $150 which included food and drink on volunteer days, Peter Millar shirt & jacket, hat, some other random merch and 2 tickets to use on any other day.

2 Likes

Signed up this morning for shot link, scoring, and practice facility. Worked at the course all of high school, and off/on for years after. Can’t wait!

1 Like

Yeah I am pumped. My first and only experience with Caves was going to the Senior Players a few years back and the course is awesome.