Roll Call: Maryland

Frederick has too many great public courses maybe? The idea of paying a shitload of money to only play one course when there’s like four great public courses in the area isn’t all that appealing to me.

Totally agree on the public play. Was more speaking to the idea of trying to get out somewhere without worrying about COVID crowds, pace of play, etc.

1 Like

I’ve wondered this too- it’s surprising there aren’t at least one or two more private clubs out that way. And conversely, it always blows my mind when I drive through some remote part of southern PA or the eastern shore or like the 81 corridor in VA and there are so many private courses… where do the members live??

I’ve heard great things about Holly Hills and was looking forward to playing a qualifying round for the MD Amateur there this year… but… yeah.

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed it. The run a good show up there. Definitely put MD National in your queue next. Similar views and elevation changes. Their par 3s are very unique. New carts from what I hear too.

1 Like

Expensive golf and stuffy atmospheres bum me out. What’s everyone’s favorite cheap course (especially in the Baltimore region)?

Right now my go-to is Forest Park.

You can’t go wrong with really any Baltimore City or County course. Outside of Greystone, they are all about 30 mins away or closer from Fells, Fed, Canton areas.

Clifton Park (EBCC - East Baltimore Country Club) - very similar to Forest Park, but I find it a bit more fun. You’ll find yourself saying, How did I just lose that ball after hitting it dead straight?
Rocky Point - the Pebble Beach of Dundalk
Pine Ridge - the views are great, but why the 6 hour round?
Greystone - Not that close to Baltimore, but good value. Can be a frustrating round (read comments above)
Fox Hollow - Scoring opportunities a-plenty
Mt. Pleasant - Did you know Arnold Palmer won an event here?
Woodlands - don’t miss left, or right for that matter.
Diamond Ridge - how is this on the same property as Woodlands?

6 Likes

Did not know about Palmer at Mt. Pleasant but just found a few Sun articles I’m about to read…

You’ll find yourself saying, How did I just lose that ball after hitting it dead straight?

I already say that multiple times per round. Don’t need any extra help.

I played Diamond Ridge yesterday and it was fine, nothing particularly memorable. I’ve heard Woodlands is cooler.

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/strapped-season-5-kvv-rants-about-different-shows/16557/763?u=rpm

Some pretty cool stuff here.

Mountain Branch is a good course that hasn’t been too packed and it’s only 25 mins from Baltimore to the North, if you’ve never played it. I often don’t think about courses to the North because most of my friends live South, but Mountain Branch and Wetlands are solid, inexpensive tracks.

1 Like

FTFY

1 Like

It’s funny - I grew up in Harford County and in my head Mountain Branch has always been emblematic of the part of golf culture I hate: rich and white, exclusive, expensive. It seems I’m off on the last two but it’s still in Fallston, the home of “I’m Not Racist, But” and “I’ll Never Go Into The City”.

Glenn Dale was my favorite courses for value and just having good time but it unfortunately closed last year. I think University of Maryland is a solid value.

Been playing Piney Branch every Thursday or Friday at 10am, haven’t had a problem getting tee times. Definitely a decent amount of people playing though. Always finish in under 4 hours. It’s great. Such a hidden gem. Took two “new” golfers last weekend for a scramble. There was a rain delay and I was like “dang there is a lot of people here”.

3 Likes

Yeah man, I’m definitely overall very happy about the increase in play there. And it’s certainly not crowded compared to any public course around, but last year I could head up there on any afternoon (even weekends) and have the course literally to myself.

I knew that wasn’t sustainable though, so the more the merrier (as long as we keep the rounds to 4hrs on avg)!

So this is a private club you guys are at? Do you think its worth it considering the myriad choices available for golf in the region?

Yeah it’s private. Depending on your age and location, very much worth it. I bet it’s the best value in MD.

I have a similar feeling on playing with others i don’t know. But I’ve also not played since all this started, and so far hearing the story here, I’m not certain I will play for a bit more, unless its with family maybe.

On the note of private courses, isn’t Cattail Creek 100% private, and its about 30 mins from Frederick. Its in Glenwood, MD. I’ve never played there, only been a guest of friends who only joined the social membership.

1 Like

Gunpowder in Laurel.

They have some welcoming rates, and honestly good on them for creating a golf-package with so much value. I’ve been up there a few times, but years ago. Ejection-city on those greens. Seemed just a tad too far to do regularly from South bmore with all the closer public options available, but as we’re experiencing, they’re not as available rn.

1 Like