Roll Call: Maine

I’m a member at Old Marsh in Wells if you want a fourth and a sherpa.

1 Like

I probably spent 15+ summers golfing/vacationing in Ogunquit. Love that town.

Cape Arundel in Kennebunkport is a gem, usually at the top of the list of places to play in Maine. The Ledges in York is a solid public track. I always liked Dunegrass in Old Orchard, was always in pretty good shape. The other one to check out is The Links at Outlook in Berwick…real interesting layout with some cool elevation changes.

This place is a true hidden gem. Its a passion project that is in a backyard.

Spent some hazy days post beach clearing our minds out here on this little track.

Owner likes to sit in his Adirondack chair and walk around repairing ball marks. Good vibes.

3 Likes

+1 on Merriland Farms for a round with kids or a chill round with anyone. Don’t skip on their adjoining restaurant. Run by the same family and absolutely fantastic food.

Agree with the other course recommendations, but also check out Biddeford-Saco Country Club, a public Ross track that I loved last year. And Webhannet in Kennebunk Beach is a rare Skip Wigan layout that’s semi-private and wonderful.

Played it a few weeks ago and his greens are fantastic right now. Seriously impressive how well he takes care of his course.

1 Like

Hey Mainers! There are a few spots left for #golfprom at Hooper GC this Saturday. It will be epic, DM with any questions.

Howdy all,
About a dozen of us St. Joe’s alums have our annual mini-tournament in a few weeks and we are likely playing somewhere close to Saco. Most of the crew play like once a year and are not super interested in golf course architecture.

Any course suggestions around Saco would be appreciated, thanks!

Check out Dutch Elm in Arundel. Also worth giving a look into Gorham Country Club (pretty easy course) and Nonesuch River in Scarborough. Not technically the Saco area but close by. Played Nonesuch a couple weeks ago and it’s in great shape.

Biddeford-Saco is always good, but that’s definitely more for your architecture crowd.

You also have Dunegrass in Old Orchard - pretty tight course with lots of houses if you’re trying to avoid that. Aside from that, always like playing there.

1 Like

Cool thanks. We have done both Nonesuch and Dunegrass before. Never heard of Dutch Elm, so a new course would be sweet.

Dutch Elm is sooooo bad. I’ve played it twice in two separate years and I’ll never go back (and I have no problem with crap minis). The layout is boring, the pace of play is absurd, and the conditioning is awful. There are plenty of other spots to check out.

2 Likes

If you’re alright going outside of Saco a little bit there is also The Links at Outlook in Berwick and The Ledges in York.

The St. Joe’s team plays out of Point Sebago.

1 Like

Yeah, I can see that. I played in July for the first time in a couple years and thought their greens were much better.

The owners are good people.

Good day to bring NLU Maine back from the dead. Any events in the works?

Outside of Boston Tee Party events I don’t think so yet.

I would be down for something Maine-specific though.

I would be interested in trying to get together with the Maine cohort. Things are slowly drying out and opening up!

People, Let’s get something going at Belgrade Lakes.

4 Likes

I’m in. I’m a member down in Wells at Old Marsh and am happy to host there as well.

1 Like

I just moved from Gardiner (Member at The Meadows and frequented Natanis) down to Westbrook! I’d be down to join with any of you guys! I actually work at XGolf in Portland as well, currently without a home track but I’ll be glad to host you guys at XGolf any time!

2 Likes

I would fly up from Georgia for this. Belgrade Lakes is great and the Sunset Grill would be perfect for some post round brews.

1 Like