Roll Call: KC Area

I think that’s a good call. I haven’t played Stone Canyon in a couple months but definitely would not recommend Sycamore Ridge right now. Seems like they’re having a hard time getting the right combination of moisture, airflow and sunlight for bent, especially on the front nine. Love Stone Canyon, hopefully it’s in good shape.

I’m starting to wonder if this is just a bad time of year for public bentgrass courses in this part of the country. They just don’t heal fast enough. Had a similar experience at Gateway National in St. Louis last weekend. I’m really starting to appreciate the zoysia at Osage National - Not my favorite grass to hit off of (especially chipping), but it heals fast and does a great job holding up to the traffic.

I will second the shcokingly bad sentiment. The back 9 was slightly better. I’ve heard a lot of people blame it on traffic, but it didn’t seem like a traffic issue. The tee boxes weren’t beat up, they were dead. The fairways had a ton of dead spots, and the greens and the surroundings were really rough. All of that on top of the normal wear and tear of having a lot of play. I agree that it seems like the front 9 seems like it isn’t getting any airflow or sunlight. It was weird, especially after having always had great conditions at Sycamore.

Great stuff from @sundaybag on the newest NLU video!

18 Likes

Thanks dawg

2 Likes

This was so cool Ben. Great piece, thanks for doing it!

1 Like

This was great! This is the KC I wish everyone could see.

1 Like

This is outstanding. Thank you for doing this, @sundaybag.

My wife and I live blocks from there and didn’t even know it existed. As said above, thank you for showing the KC more people should see.

2 Likes

It would be fun to do a little meetup there or possibly help with a kids golf clinic or something!

1 Like

So here’s the rundown for the weekend

Shoal Creek - good layout, nothing spectacular - the greens didn’t seem to roll true but liked the course
Sycamore - As others said course wasnt in the best condition, not to mention - that front nine put me in my place, ouch
IronHorse - love this course, great condition
Swope - KCs gem ? Greens were so dirty, they were clean - would play swope/ ironhorse every day - great vibes at swope

4 Likes

Next time you are back give Creekmoor a try. Greens are some the truest in town, when not punched and covered in sand. Also I hope you had some good BBQ when you where here.

1 Like

What is up, my man. I’d be interested in getting together for a loop sometime. I’m also new to the refuge, but love NLU. The strapped boys have singlehandedly help me get through this COVID BS. I’m an attorney living in Waldo, fyi, so we would definitely have a lot to talk about, HA!

LT

1 Like

I’m playing Grand Summit tomorrow for the first time and just recently heard of it for the first time. I’d be interested to know if anyone has any opinions one way or the other. Also, local tips always appreciated!

I’m a Falcon Ridge member, and as far as I know, the only one that owns any NLU gear. I’ll say hey if you’re in the shop the next time I’m there.

On board with this.

Agreed

well get ready for some side hill shots. Creekmoor is about 4 minutes down the road and a better course I think. But I am biases.

I’ve never played Creekmoor and I can confirm it is better than Grand Summit

1 Like

I appreciate it. My game got cancelled because the other guys were exposed, so now I’m jonesing bad.

Hilarious! Probably why I’ve never heard of Grand Summit before.

Yeah for sure! I’ve noticed a Nest head cover before, must have been you. Look forward to meeting you!