Roll Call - GB & IRE

Hi Les*

Definitely the right place l, we have a very active potentially overactive group of flockers on WhatsApp who play more golf than is reasonably acceptable and probably the reason the economy is the way it is. Events are arranged through out the year including one at the end at some of the courses you mentioned, between April and November you’ll struggle to find a day where you can’t play golf with one of them.

@The_Cad_Says is the man for that side of things come along if you want to join a sick bunch of golf nerds, fragrant and vagabonds.

1 Like

@lesliejohn The important question is if you’ve tried the muffin at Littlestone yet?

1 Like

Heh Phil ,
Thanks for the reply . Played a few around the Maidstone area , Leeds castle included,I’m a member at St.Augustine and the 18 hole par 3 at north foreland ( using it as a pathway to full membership, after the 2 years are up) lessons etc , plus 2 goes around the main course , play there every Sunday morning so it’s more than worth it , links greens and bunkers so all good practice, I imagine lots of links courses on the Wirral, went there once for football

1 Like

Heh mate ,
Sign me up , lol , unfortunately not retired yet but I’ve a understanding missus who lets me out Saturday and Sunday mornings, AND football Saturday afternoon, lol
Why am I having to wait 45 minutes to reply?

Hi guys I’m in a similar position, new to NLU and abit confused about how to navigate this refuge site, I’m from Manchester and I play at 2 clubs here, it would be nice to know of any NLU based events that are happening this year in the north west of England. Hopefully meet some like minded people.

3 Likes

Probably because you aren’t a nest member, you’ll have restrictions on the time between posts etc

2 Likes

Welcome!

In short: The Refuge is good and lots of (mainly US but not exclusively) interesting/funny/fun threads to get involved in. It is also the gateway to get onto the UK&I very very active Whatsapp groups. Someone on here will sort that out, I’m sure. Loads of people on that with organised events and informal meet ups.

We’ve got a pretty big sub-Whatsapp group for the North and Midlands, lots of golf played and quite a few of us NW based.

So, you’re a member of not one, but two course?! Which ones?

I play at Wallasey, been on here for a couple of years and followed NLU for a l lot longer…

1 Like

Hi thanks for the update, beginning to get used to the site abit more now! Is it worth becoming a nest member ? And yes I’m a member at reddish vale golf club, and a close by course that’s not as good (cheap & cheerful) both no where near Wallasey standards though, I’ve played it once a few years ago but it was before they made the changes in 2021, I’ve had friends play it since that say it’s even better now.
How long have you been into NLU & have you ever been to one of the uk refuge events

Crikey. That heart must beat quickly after that walk up 18 :joy:

We had 30 odd of us up there in 2022 as part of a 2 day event and played Cavendish on the 2nd day.

Reddish is……quirky.

Is Nest membership worth it? That’s truly up to you. I consume all of the NLU content, so paying £65 or so for that is worth it. This board can be very US-centric, but it can be good value for a laugh, and talking to like minded freaks.

2 Likes

Like many others, I see Nest membership as a very good investment into the hours hours and hours of NLU golf content I consume. For me, it is much more about supporting NLU versus what I get out of the membership. That being said, I waste (invest) quite a few hours on some threads on the forum and via The Nest got onto the WhatsApp groups for the various NLU UK groups. The discount on their golf merchandise is also good.

Someone will give you the Whatsapp details; think @The_Cad_Says normally obliges…

There’s loads of Refuge type events, all organised via the Whatsapp groups. From large get- togethers at courses all over the UK, season long knock-outs etc. I haven’t done any of that yet but mainly arrange to play with a few others on the Northern Whatsapp group. Loads of opportunities to play; it’s a “get out of it what you put in” type thing… The best thing is that, because of the NLU filter, you meet good, like-minded golf people. The WhatsApp can be full on but I’m just in the North Group, which is more manageable for me.

Yes, Wallasey has really come on. Been there six years now and getting better and better. You’d be welcome for a knock whenever. I definitely fancy giving Reddish Vale a go, quirky is what I hear!

Been following NLU from the very start (if you recall the early Twitter #toursauce days); love everything about what they do.

1 Like

I’m pretty much of the same mind - I was and still am consuming so much NLU content that I wanted to support NLU hence joining the nest. The enjoyment I get from the nest & the yearly gift (no matter what anyone’s thoughts on the gift are) I feel are bonus territory…

1 Like

Afternoon all. Long time NLU supporter but new message board member. Live in St Albans and a memebr at Verulam Golf Club. Keen to try out a few other clubs in the Hertfordshire area over the summer (hopefully at member guest rates!). Happy to host in return. Cheers!

4 Likes

What’s up, y’all? I am traveling to Dublin in August. I plan on playing 2/3 rounds in Dublin and maybe one around the London area. Any recommendations? I honestly want true links golf. Portmarnock is on my list, but I have no idea where else to go. From my understanding, the golf on the East side of Ireland is not as great as on the West side, but I still need to enjoy the links there.

1 Like

The East coast has some incredible golf. Don’t let the world rankings fool you. :grinning:

Portmarnock is a must if you are able to get on. You could also look at Royal Dublin, County Louth, European club (bit of a hike), Seapoint, Corballis or (one of my personal favorites) The Island. I’m sure i’ve missed a couple.

Also you can look through the Ireland thread in the travel category for more insight:
https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/ireland-trip-recommendations-can-i-like-adare/9976/3358

2 Likes

Thank you for this great piece of advice. Looking into this now. Can you please resend the link on travel internaries for Ireland? Getting a 404 on my end when I click.

1 Like

It’s the right link, but the thread is behind the paywall, so need to be a nest member to access it

1 Like

Sorry yeah definitely a paywall thing.

Is there any bonus podcast content that comes along with the nest membership? I’m still semi new to NLU but no doubt I’ll join up soon, it’s rare to find a media group / podcast or whatever where i like all the hosts, I’m still at that point where sometimes I can’t tell who’s talking but never the less I always agree, they’re all really intelligent & know their stuff. I think TC is my fav early on just because you can tell he’s the most honest with his opinions and doesn’t really give a fuck of the repercussions ( aka burning bridges with pro golfers lol ) but as I said I really like them all from what I’ve heard atm.
And I think that guy did reply to one of my posts a couple of days ago saying he’ll add me to the groups, I’ve given my number so hopefully I’ll be in soon. And think I’m the same the northern group will be the one for me. & yep you’ve heard correctly, very quirky and quite short at par 69 but some great holes and each one different from the next, that’s the main reason I like it, You’d be welcome anytime! Can sort something once I get setup in the WhatsApp.
And ohh so you’ve been in from real early days of NLU, any recommendations on the best tourist sauce vids on YouTube ? Haven’t had a chance to dig into them that much yet

2 Likes

You get access to the RACDG Nesticles WhatsApp chat group that has bonus Baldy Lee material unavailable on the refuge

7 Likes

I’ve got it delete this homie before you’re sold a Nigerian princes fortune

1 Like