Roll Call: Duval

Jax Beach Golf Club should be on your list, for sure. The re-open is this weekend and all 18 greens completely re-done, new bunkers, new tees, best value you’ll find.

Ponte Vedra Inn & Club has two very good courses, Ocean ($) and Lagoon. Lagoon is short, quirky, and scoreable, which might be a great afternoon option close to where you are staying. Ocean can be a beast when the wind is blowing even though it’s not incredibly long, but has some of the best holes in the area, wide fairways, big bunkers, lots of undulation. Really good option.

King & Bear at WGV is solid. Good conditions, several good holes, plenty of stuff to do/see in St. Augustine. I’ve not played Slammer & Squire but I’m told I’m not missing much.

Dye’s Valley at TPC Sawgrass is a much better value than the Stadium course, but I can understand why people coming from out of town would want to play the kahuna. Still, DV has excellent conditions, a bunch of good holes (par 3s in particular) and the same top-tier hospitality without the price tag, cart path only, and 5.5 hour round.

St. John’s Golf and Country Club is another solid track for a good price that always has good conditions. Eagle Landing is the same. Nothing that will blow you away but you’ll get good-enough golf for the money. SJGCC is in the same general area as King and Bear, so you may want to loop in K&B and SJGCC together.

Oak Marsh packs a good punch and the drive out there is great, especially early in the morning. Resort pricey, but lots of Dye-isms and plenty of marsh holes that give some good panoramas.

If you guys have any private club members in your group, it may be worthwhile to have one of your Pros call down to Atlantic Beach CC (great course super close to where you are staying), Jacksonville G&CC (among the best conditions you’ll find anywhere and a short drive), or Sawgrass CC to see if something could be worked out as a reciprocal. 8 guys might be hard to do but it doesnt hurt to ask about a Thursday when the courses aren’t as full. Depending on how elite your clubs are, maybe even try Timuquana, Plantation, or San Jose. Harder to get on but 3 of the top courses in the area.

7 Likes