Roll Call “Chicago” (Part 2)

Favorite new course: calumet cc shout out @McDuffin

Best shot: hitting a 8i in a scramble with @kmcswain and instantly calling it to go in. Stuck 6 in behind the hole (of course it was the longest putt hole)

Favorite round: the crook where @dobee87 made and ace and the dynamic duo of @HackMarkham and I got artistic all over the course

12 Likes

5 Likes

Yea, that was fucking awesome…

6 Likes

Favorite new course: Ravisloe

Best shot: First HIO on #8 at the Crook, with an audience! @BadBrad @HackMarkham and @CrunchyBear

Favorite round: The Ravisloe Refugee round, as a group we had a shit load of birdies… 16-ish?, while I was outdriven on every hole by @BadBrad, his buddy, and @Ballgame by 75- 100 yards… thanks to the snap hook driver yips…

9 Likes

Is this 2CGC shot of the year?

11 Likes

the prince of smash factor
title checks out

4 Likes

Favorite new course: Oakmont

Shot of the year: I made like a 60 footer from off the green at Oakmont for birdie. If you want to see the putt, and how big of a douche i am, i’ll show you the video if you want. Guy I was playing with filmed the whole thing randomly. Runner up would be the chip in for birdie @Mr.Sunday hit as he scorched the front 9 at Crook.

Round of the year: In a Little-Giants-esque situation, I finally beat my brother h2h at Des Moines Golf & Country Club while I was home in August. I also shot even par a couple times with the Waveland Breakfast Ball crew as well, which was fun, but manipulated the shit out of my index. Every Thursday morning was basically the round of the year if I’m being honest!

See ya’ll at Mudness!

9 Likes

Don’t forget @dobee87 dropping a birdie on 9 then an absolute dart on 10!

Also;

No one:

@BadBrad and myself when given the option of a sensible punch out:

5 Likes

That was painful to even type for you, wasn’t it?

4 Likes

THANK YOU for bringing that up @HackMarkham ! Happy Holidays you to yours!!!

5 Likes

Best shot
Last minute, decided to head out to Highland Woods and got paired up with a couple randoms. Hit a shitty right-out-of-the-car low drive that squirted left. Second shot was probably 190ish out from the left rough. Hit it to about 3 inches, and proceeded to birdie 3 of the first 4 holes.

Favorite new course(s) played
Chicago-area: Pine Meadow
Overall: Diamond Springs. I think about that place all the time.

Favorite round(s)
Chicago-area: Don’t make me choose! So many great rounds with Refugees. But if I must, Lake Zurich GC w/ @baldvinny and @Setwilli. What a day.
Overall: The final round at Abandoned Dudes on Streamsong Red was pretty special.

9 Likes

Had to wash my hands after typing it out

3 Likes

Best shot: Had a hole-out eagle but that’s more luck. Probably knocking it stiff from the reeds on #9 at Black Sheep to win a match playing w/ @Wyclef, @BigBird, and @ChiFFI IIRC.

Best new course: Big DeVries year. Did the GR trip vs FCF and got up to Kingsley as well, which is the obvious answer. Definitely not the Glen Club. HM: Lookout Mountain

Favorite round: Final day in Grand Rapids at Diamond Springs. Something about the delay emptying the course, the low hanging clouds. Just an incredibly peaceful morning. And playing against @Jalspurg is just delightful.

12 Likes

Can we just relive some more fun shameless self-congratulatory stuff? i’m going to anyway.

@PinkPantser @TheAbeFroman can i nominate my hybrid approach on 18 at OF that i hit to a few feet for best shot?

nevermind the fact i thought i hit it in the fairway bunker and took objectively too long to find the ball about 20 yards past said bunker. and OF COURSE never mind the fact that i missed the birdie putt.

but it was the best pargame hybrid in a season full of hybrids (as they all are).

ah golf was fun that day.

11 Likes

Favorite new course in IL: Realized I only played three new courses this year, Black Sheep, OFCC North and Calumet CC. OFCC North wins out but Black sheep was a close second

Favorite shot: At Beeches in South Haven, MI; I popped up my tee shot on 12, then put my approach shot from 220 to 4 feet.

Round of the year: Beating @JAD 2 up in the WBC Race to the Clocktower Championship presented by Stan’s Donuts. It was the culmination of a month of match play and felt good to come out on top. Also Commish of WBC winning WBC…

11 Likes

First off thank you everyone for a great first year in the Refuge!

Best Shot: I appreciate the shout out @TeddyPargame, but I would probably go with the 60ish footer over the ridge on 3 at the Crook. HMs to a full wedge from a weird half grass half trap shot to a few feet on 15 at The Preserve against @RLSIII to set up a birdie.

Favorite new courses:
IL: I’ll go with Sunset Valley, just hadn’t played it then it kind of became a staple late in the season.
Midwest: I would love another go at Diamond Springs that doesn’t come with being exhausted and getting the shanks in the middle of a delightful walk and making @Ballgame visibly upset with some of my greenside decisions.
Travels: Chambers Bay was delightful. The sticker price is bad, but I couldn’t wipe a smile off my face the whole round.

Favorite Round:
Got to have my bachelor party at Sand Valley(Lawsonia with the groomsmen beforehand) and so far nothing has beat Mammoth with a great group of guis.

12 Likes

That was my favorite shot of the year. Couple revolutions away from finding the other side of the bridge.

4 Likes

Such a fun round! The weather was perfect that day even though it had rained a bit. I want another crack at at taking you on in a match this year!

2 Likes

Been trying to participate in this trend and suddenly realized why I couldn’t think of multiple courses, shots, or anything. The entire year boiled down to one round for me.

Favorite Round, Favorite New Course, Best Shot:
Diamond. Fucking. Springs. That place was pure, unbridled joy. The vibes, the architecture, the audacity of “one-cut” and completely pulling it off. Add that to it being the culmination of one hell of a weekend at the Brewer’s Cup, and the magic was made. The round itself was an all-time duel with @jbrooks, who couldn’t miss a putt all day. We traded blows all day and shot a best ball gross -4 on the back nine. The best shot of my year was highlighted when I was chasing him on the back nine - blocked the crap out of my drive, hacked it up a bit further into the heather, and then DUNKED one from about 150 out with a nine-iron for birdie and to win the hole. He ended up getting the better of me that day, but it didn’t even matter.

Events like that are what make the Refuge the greatest group in golf (and maybe not just golf). People like @jbrooks personify everything that’s right with striking a balance of a competitor and a friend. Courses like Diamond Springs make it all possible. And drip drop draining hole winners from 150 out in the heather make you never want to stop chasing all of it all over again.

Cheers to one heck of a 2022 - and can’t wait to get out there with ya’ll in 2023.

17 Likes

Diamond springs is soooo high on my must play list. Gotta make it happen.

9 Likes