Roll Call “Chicago” (Part 1)

Used to go to a dome in Highland Park as a kid - wonder if it’s still there…

The HP course closed but not sure on the dome status, but they renovated Sunset and big rec.

1 Like

It depends on the course. Within City limits Marovitz, Jackson Park, and Indian Boundary are open all year weather depending. There are a handful of suburban courses with the same policy. In all honesty, there are plenty of options in the winter months for the odd round on a decent day. It’s really up to you on whether you can stomach the weather and bad conditions.

Skokie Sport Park has heaters on the range, open limited hours on winter weekends. I played Billy Caldwell Dec. 23th last year.

1 Like

Just assuming most places are going to be a sloppy mess (like ya mama) for at least another few days. The river is inches away from a record high. I didn’t realize it was this bad.

Yup, Lower Wacker got shut down last night.

Well where are we supposed to go for our Refuge 2006 souped up Honda Civic races?

2 Likes

Ja Rule will know.

jamonica

2 Likes

Has anyone played the Joe Louis Forest Preserve course? It’s got cheap times for this weekend but I don’t wanna play it if it’s absolute trash.

The dome is there but its really limited for hitting balls. I have kids that would go there for sport practices before the fields would open up.

1 Like

No problem with the cold - just trying to play as much golf as possible!

Ravisloe had some new water features installed over the weekend. Pics from yesterday round at 8am:

Besides that, the course was in amazing shape, and nearly deserted. They’ve got those little elevator contraptions on the holes for lifting your ball out with your foot (basically a thick gauge wire tied to the flagstick and connected to a metal plate at the bottom of the hole)

3 Likes

When things return to normal we are starting a sunrise at syd league for us city dwellers. Super early super fast 9 hole game.

Thread here:

3 Likes

It’s a golf course with 18 holes - nothing incredible. I’ve played it a bunch over the past couple years because my roommate was still in the learning mode. There are better Forest Preserve courses (George Dunne IMO) but if you’re looking for a budget round it’s not bad. However I’d imagine it’ll be very soupy after all the rain.

Did anyone else recently receive an email from the CDGA regarding encouraging Pritzker to “modify golf protocols”? These are the key points made in the email:

• Groups shall be made up of no more than four (4) players.
  • Tee times shall be set by the facility and spaced to avoid clustering on the golf course. This is a course-specific parameter.
  • Properly sanitized motorized carts may be used by a single-rider. Two players may ride in the same cart if they are members of the same family or household.
  • Practice ranges and practice areas may be open and private golf instruction can occur on an individual basis. All practicing and instruction must be set up for social distancing, removing all common touch points while also employing sanitization procedures and protocol.
  • Restaurants and halfway houses may be open for off-premises takeout and/or “to-go” orders golfers can consume on-or-off-course. (all tables and chairs removed or flipped upside down to prohibit use; all possible congregation areas eliminated)

I appreciate the CDGA making these efforts!

4 Likes

I got the email from Naperville Golf with same details.

1 Like

Sent my message just now. I desperately need a range to cure my duck hook I somehow now have!

All sensible except for the second bullet. No matter how far apart the tee times are, there is going to be clustering with foursomes on the course due to slow play. An extra four minutes or seven minutes or whatever between groups is not going to cure that problem.

If clustering is a legitimate concern, which this seems to acknowledge, courses need to utilize rangers and other methods to crack down on slow play more so than spacing out tee times. Single rider carts will probably help some.

1 Like

Dude same here. Duck hooked no joke 10 drives on Saturday.

I feel and share your pain. It’s not fun. Gonna get out there for a little bit tonight with my pro to see if he can quickly fix this! Everything else stayed ok this offseason, but this is not how you want to start any hole!