Roll Call “Chicago” (Part 1)

I’ll be up there Saturday

I’ll be there Sunday.

Going Sunday and may have an extra ticket if someone is looking holler at your boy

Someone may have to help me out, but I’ve been to my fair share of PGA Tour events, and I can imagine few things less appealing than attending a Ryder Cup in person. I mean, I’m sure the atmosphere is cool (though Straights seems like a terrible spectator’s course), but limiting yourself to one hole or one group when there’s action all over the course seems really limiting. Though if you had access to a bar tent with TVs it would be cool.

Purely a “I simply have to see this atmosphere in person” play for me. That’s why I chose to go up Friday. I’ll be squarely on a barstool or my couch for Sat/Sun to see the results and the golf.

7 Likes

Speaking of bars and Ryder Cup, is anyone planning on going anywhere to watch the Ryder Cup?

1 Like

I am in Old Town and would be interested in heading somewhere to check out some matches. Not sure of a good spot though.

2 Likes

I’m in Streeterville, so not far at all. We can definitely meet up. I’ll do a little digging to see what places may have it on

1 Like

I’ve never been to any pro golf events before, this will be my first. I did win tickets to the 06 PGA at Medinah in a caddy raffle, but I sold them because I didn’t actually fall in love with Golf til 2019. And yeah I watched the NLU preview video for this Ryder Cup the other night and it was giving me some fomo. I also think it’ll be pretty cool to say you were at the 2020 Ryder Cup in 2021 30 years from now. Pretty historic event! So yeah I understand from a pure viewing standpoint it’s probably better to watch it on TV, but I’m personally excited to experience the atmosphere in person and hopefully see some of those golf swings relatively up close.

6 Likes

TLDR: I want Bryson to hit me with a golf ball and not even remotely think about yelling fore

12 Likes

I’m sure the atmosphere will be cool. And if it’s your first chance to see an event in person, that’s always fun. Considering it’s getting to be impossible to do that in Chicago, who knows when you’ll have another chance. I’ve always liked attending early rounds, then watching from home on the weekend. Tour events are fun because you can camp out at a hole and watch everyone come through, but it’s tough to be “where the action is” unless you’re really willing to fight the crowd. And I would think with a Ryder Cup, it might be tough knowing the stakes in real time if you’re on the course, but maybe that’s easier now with so much mobile data. Best event for me was the 2013 Masters. Monday practice round, walk all around the course and soak it in. Watch guys hit some shots without worrying about their importance, then go home and watch it all on TV.

I don’t know if the Symetra Tour plays any events around here anymore. It was the Futures Tour when my friend played on it (I worked with her husband, who caddied for her). Those events were great. Small crowds, no ropes. They played Kankakee Elks one year, and a couple times as Lost Marsh. If you want know what yardage someone had, you’d wait until they hit their shot, then walk into the fairway and check a sprinkler head. Highly recommend those events.

1 Like

I think it’ll be a blast. Having attended a couple tourneys at WS, the mounding on some holes should help get a vantage point. But as noted, moving around with limited groups is tough at Ryder Cups. I posted up at Medinah at the 8 green, 9 tee, 11 green area for a while and decent day. Hazeltine was not good for spectators. At Straits, getting from front 9 to back is a challenge, so I’d pick a side and a hill.

3 Likes

I was talking with my girlfriend on this - we are both committed to getting there early AF Saturday but after seeing some opening tee shots, we’re not sure where to post up after.

1 Like

The American dream

3 Likes

I followed JT and Finau for 17 holes, the second to last group on Saturday at the BMW in Medinah and only the last 2 holes became difficult to get through the crowds.

I went to two days at the tournament and I’ve never seen another pro event. My preference is to pick the first par 3 and sit there until a great group comes by and then follow them as long as possible.

1 Like

Can’t decide if I should make my attire for the Ryder some play on BabblingBrooksy or if I should go full send and fashion an under armour sponsored Jesus costume and walk around calling myself SPIETHUS

9 Likes

I’m in river north and am interested. Only place that immediately comes to mind would be 5-iron, just could get pricey quickly if we’re there for more than a couple hours.

2 Likes

throwing out the obvious here, but you’re gonna run into CFB bars saturday and the NFL sunday.

one thought would be the honorable clocktower cafe. could probably take that place over.

may want to look into a chiefs or ravens bar, as they are SNF. but then maybe they’d switch it off at the end for the start of the game. hmmm…

of course say what you want to do out loud and text it to someone to see if instagram can send you some creepy but helpful ads.

boy am i glad i’m old and lame and have kids and don’t go party like the old days! good luck!

5 Likes

There is a possibility they are still doing half price Sunday’s. It was a “summer” thing but had no expiration date on the email i got.

Quietly chuckling to myself about a golf bar concept full of dudes in polos and khakis every Saturday and Sunday afternoon.

7 Likes