Roll Call “Chicago” (Part 1)

So did you call her six days later?

3 Likes

The McHenry CC talk is awesome. I worked there through HS, played on the HS golf team and that was our home course. The last time I was out there Nate was still the super and he was trying to fill in some of the areas with fescue but tree management has always been a hassle there. Every morning I had to open after a freak storm, I always hoped that the tree in the middle of 2 FW was gone, but it never was. The greens were always awesome though. Fast and smooth. I felt like it was a lot longer when I was 16 but it actually wasn’t that bad.

The old guard of members were an interesting group and some were complete dicks to deal with after their group play on a weeknight. I almost joined about 15 years ago but like many others, I didn’t live close enough to actually utilize the place. The driving range/practice facility are awesome, designed by Dave Esler, the same guy that did MP.

I have no idea who even runs the place now that the pro I worked for isn’t there anymore. I know they have a cash flow issue. There was always discussion of moving the clubhouse and 1st hole to sell the land but it would lose the on the river feel.

4 Likes

What a way to enter the new year and new thread lol

McHenry CC talks are always welcome in my opinion, I remember Nate and Scott/Eric (I played mostly with Scott’s kids and Eric) ranting on how the 1st hole should not at all exist.

However I always thought it was a good handshake hole despite the ridiculous flooding from time to time. All in all I look back fondly at that course, it taught me a lot on how to go low (with Scott’s help).

1 Like

The Cash flow issues at MCC seem to be less of an issue now that they have been able to get out of the restaurant biz (they lease the space now) and now they are offering some public tee times (pandemic didn’t hurt either).

They are putting a small workout and simulator space in the locker room and did a small renovation on the 4th hole (made the green bigger).

The largest debt holder (owns the local ford dealer) is quite the dick though which may be one of the biggest draw backs to the place.

1 Like

Saying what everyone else was avoiding!

I guess growing up with the owners of the Ford dealership gave me a different view.

Loves the trees.

My personal experience and from what I have heard from others is Ed is a great guy and super friendly and Steve couldn’t be more opposite.

2 Likes

Steve Buss is a fucking dick.

(97)

4 Likes

How big is the 4th green now? I haven’t played since they went semi-private. Is the right bunker still partially out of bounds?

Don’t think Buss Ford will be sponsoring NLU anytime soon.

1 Like

The new green hasn’t been open yet but I would guess the space is coming from making the left bunker smaller and the hole maybe 15 yards shorter.

That right bunker is fully in play now. That house did finally sell though it was on the market for years.

1 Like

Based on their business model I would guess a large part of who they are trying to please aren’t on the internet.

They are the only bill I have to pay by paper check.

2 Likes

Making a joke about the Refuge and paywalls and advertisements.

But yes. I couldn’t take my old company truck there because of stuff like that.

So with snow on the ground we are likely golf-less until March? What’re the odds it melts enough for some mud ball?

4 Likes

I can’t tell you how many times a punch shot came out a little hot from the left trees and I thought it was bound to cause significant damage to that house.

Hey fellas,

I just moved to chicago so i know of very few golf courses and even fewer people to golf with. ive been surfing thru this thread and taking some notes, but id love to play some new courses with anyone willing to play in the cold. otherwise i guess I can wait till spring. as for the refuge, i love golf and the content NLU puts out but I’m not a huge message board gui. i just joined the refuge a few months ago and never found the time to browse thru summaries of all the posts. i also really only use my laptop for this so its hard to stay in the know w/o notifications.

just joined the whatsapp group, hopefully that is still active. also im not in the nest (not opposed to joining) so wanted to post in here just in case this thing dies off (like i said, not a regular user so idk the details)

Anyways, looking forward to chicago golf!

12 Likes

I just moved here in August and this message board has been a savior from having to get paired with randoms. I know myself and at least a handful of guis that will play in the 30’s as long as it isn’t snowing.

The indoor spot, 5iron, is also a good spot to swing and has a few refuge members that frequent there.

6 Likes

Still think the coldest weather I played in this year was that day at Harborside. Thoughts and prayers for @TrajMahal that afternoon.

2 Likes