Roll Call “Chicago” (Part 1)

Aaron made mine, tall bald guy. Got to know him since my friends and I were regulars - for a couple years he tried to make a name for himself on Florida mini tours but to no avail. Now he gives lessons out at Shooters (I think that’s the name) driving range

That Denny’s off of 51 in Normal…

1 Like

Long time listener, first time posting in The Refuge.

I’ve lived in the southwest Chicago suburbs for 8.5 years. I don’t have a home course, I just play random public courses as I have the time and opportunity. I don’t have much of a golf network of people to play with, as I don’t have consistent days off and I work afternoons, so it’s hard to find a regular game.

I played golf for a DIII college in Texas after growing up in Las Vegas, and I still maintain a single digit handicap though I feel wildly inconsistent. I work for an airline, so I do travel as often as I can and enjoy taking my clubs with me when the time is right.

• Derek
16 Likes

What is your take on reverse routings?

Asking for a friend…

6 Likes

Many people are saying that Subaru’s are just H3s with a different logo stamped on the grill.

5 Likes

K so…

I was on a work trip through TN, GA, and AL to visit a bunch of stores and courses and sell them crap and yada yada. One stop on the itinerary was to Augusta GA, which I have never once been to (let alone seen any part of the ANGC)

Since I was only staying in town for one night, I told myself that I HAD to take a picture of/with the ANGC Members Only sign. I woke up Monday morning and drove past the course, which GPS had directed me to go in through the Old Berckmans Rd entrance (not the one with the sign). I kept driving and saw google maps only had Magnolia Dr running to Washington Rd, but then stopping short of the golf course.

As I was peering into the course whilst trying to keep the rental car in the right lane, I very briefly spotted “the sign” tucked inside the the perfectly manicured hedge being guarded by a rather intimidating security guard. In the biggest “shoot your shot” moment, I made a U-turn and pulled into the unmarked entrance and faced the guard head on.

“Can I help you sir?”

“Maybe…I’ll be honest I’m just passing through town, and was wondering if I could just take a photo of the entrance sign. I work in the industry and figured I would ask before I just ran onto the grounds.”

“Well I appreciate the honesty, but unfortunately we don’t allow photos on the grounds unless you’re an invited guest.”

I told him I understand and didn’t want to cause any trouble. He was SUPER cool about it and asked me just to pull around the guard shack and back onto Washington Rd.

I’ve never set foot on property, nor have I ever visited as a patron, so my first glimpse onto the grounds was a quick peak down Magnolia Lane, the lush green grass and perfectly contrasting “red” of the pine straw, and the beautifully painted building and gate keeping knuckleheads like myself out when not invited.

Did I get IN to ANGC? No. Was I technically on the grounds? According to my man at the front gate…yes. I will say that being direct and honest with the guard probably kept me off the “no fly list” (though you never really DO know…) and made for a pretty cool story.

Google Maps didn’t even get in:

16 Likes

Always cool to run into a fellow refugee in the wild. Fun day out at Ruffled Feathers with @treeputttim. 40 degree weather, 20mph winds and a brutally slow 4some ahead of us couldn’t derail our enjoyment of playing golf on the shortest day of the year. Excited to get back when the conditions are a bit more hospitable.

2 Likes

A delightful surprise having my first Refuge encounter on this winter solstice. The days only get longer from here boys. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t know if this is getting shutdown on January 1, but I will probably not immediately get a nest account so this may be my final plea to @TCRBrad to release the OF photos. Stop the steal, Brad.

3 Likes

Christmas is coming, good sir :wink:

(It’ll be a public gallery on Flickr too so no worries)

3 Likes

Checking in on this… @TCRBrad our guy hasn’t eaten in over a month :rofl:

3 Likes

Are they following this thread… Settler’s closed for '21 for renovation.

1 Like

You got any routing maps or course layouts for said renovation?

Looks like a Greg Martin job, which means I’ll probably LOVE 10 of the golf holes, be “meh” about 6, and absolutely hate 2 of 'em lol

Looks like he did The Preserve, so promising?

1 Like

Oh yeah! Greg does a good job with renovation work, it’ll just be interesting to see how he routes the course/if he makes any drastic changes at all

Can’t make it much worse

1 Like

Guis only want one thing and it’s disgusting.

2 Likes

My cousin and I are walking Chick Evans at 10:50am Sunday, open invite to anyone that wants to play. Two spots still open, $33 to book on their site.

Just went to book and it was there and then gone. I’ll give them a call if they are open tomorrow.

Hello Chicago NLU’ers- hope you’re all well.

Inquiring on if anyone knows of a weekday golf league- but here’s the catch- it’s in the morning ( I work evenings and weekends). I played a lot in 2020 and want to keep it going in 21’ and was thinking a league would be some good fun. Live in the city, have flexibility with location.

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this is a stupid question

Tim

2 Likes