Roll Call “Chicago” (Part 1)

The old staff from McHenry CC run The Grove pro shop now (Scott Beaugureau is head pro). I was a junior member at McHenry CC for a few summers before they went to semi-private. McHenry CC was an awesome place to be a junior member.

1 Like

You are this thread’s preeminent expert and historian on all matters related to far northwest suburban golf.

1 Like

Spot on assessment, I played with the old super (who I think is the super at Naperville CC now) and pro shop staff there a lot (played junior golf with head pro’s son). The super always wanted to clear everything out and let the rough grow out where the tree lines are (he did add fescue areas to fill in gaps between the routing). As you said “legacy members love trees”, he was fired after one summer because he kept trying to take out the trees lol

1 Like

Kyle, right? I know a guy at Naperville, he’s made a name for himself already.

@EConroy419, thanks for the new title.

2 Likes

No his name is Nate Bol-something, he may be somewhere else now. Granted he left McHenry in like 2016. Good guy, he just wanted to make the course hard, even with no trees. Every time we would play 6 he’d go on a rant on how those over-hanging trees on the left are totally pointless. Also the tee shot on 10.

1 Like

Those trees on 6 are stupid.

The 200 yard tee shot on 10 so you can blindly blast it up the hill 300 yards? Yeah, great hole. Remove the trees to get a line at the creek, it would be 260-270 yards out. Right in the decision making zone for most golfers.

1 Like

Just for my entertainment, are these the trees in question?

2 Likes

Lmao yes, every junior member out there had a 240-260 shot that would bend right to left about 40 yards. Only for 10 tee and 12 tee. Along with hitting a driver straight up in the air to cut the corner on 2.

1 Like

Yes sir, either aim at the purple tree for a 210ish shot or hit it straight over the trees on line with the water cooler box (just out of frame on the left) about 250-260.

1 Like

Yep, I circled the purple for reference below.

1 Like

Living up to your newly minted title, very much deserved.

1 Like

There’s a lot (too many) of trees in your picture, so didn’t want you to get confused.

I feel like the trees along the left side on 15 and 16 are problems. Also always thought 13 would be more fun with no right trees and just tall Fescue down the right.

2 Likes

not a superintendent by any means but from what i understand all those overhanging trees make keeping greens alive much harder?

Yeah, trees shouldn’t be within 50 feet of a green. 75 feet is better.

Lots of issues. Trees are fighting the greens for water, sunlight and nutrients. Keeping grass cut that short isn’t easy to begin with. Additionally, you can have root damage to the green, extended frost delays and lack of air movement all caused by trees.

Agreed for 13, you can get pretty close to the green when its dry out there, sometimes you clip one of those stupid trees and you are totally screwed from there. Realistically there should be no trees except on OB lines with backyards and houses.

There’s nothing more egregious that having a nice solid drive on the 11 that chases down the right side to have a nice approach to the left situated green. Then you find your ball in the fairway under a giant tree canopy.

2 Likes

I lived in McHenry for 24 years and never played CC (granted, i spent more time at Trend Cellar than i did at the driving range). I remember when the schoolboard was in talks about expanding East Campus and someone suggested expanding into the golf course and that “they would only have to give up a hole or two.”

That did not happen

1 Like

Same can be said for the left side on 11, hitting a drive dead center on 2, left fairway on 6, 7, 10. I have a love hate relationship with the place :slight_smile:

That practice area though has given me a respectable short game as well as the sand and small greens.

Can’t tell you how many times that has happened to me haha. And the right side is the best angle.

Gotta play the patented McHenry CC punch shot through the bunker! Oh baby when you pull that off

1 Like