Roll Call “Chicago” (Part 1)

Look at all those trees!

7 Likes

This is actually the best time of year to play there, great colors.

2 Likes

I remember this hole from high school…you’ve got a VERY at the green in 2 because of the trees up the left side blocking the approach. Driver gets you to the second dot, followed by a 30yd high draw over the s**t and bunkers to a green that runs away from you. The only blemish on what I consider to be a very fun golf course!

1 Like

sick!

1 Like

16th is the only other hole I have problems with. The tee shot has a 30’ tree opening to hit through and when the balls gets outside that window it’s near impossible to find when the leaves drop.

1 Like

played whites last weekend and hit that spot, pure luck, but I did it. Played out there twice birdied that hole both times, so I’m biased.
I second @ChiFFI’s motion that Lost Marsh has the worst golf hole around.

Which if playing a twilight round also means that corner of the golf course gets pretty shaded. Neat green site though if I remember correctly. Been a while since I’ve played up there…

Trying to play Sunday there, we’ll see what the temps do though.

1 Like

I play it almost every week. At first, yes it is a strange hole. But once you get used to it just leave it short of the water then an easy second shot to the green.

3 Likes

that was my first thought looking at it, too, just leave it short of the water and have an 8-iron left

Anyone want to join me at Lawsonia Links this Saturday? I have tee times booked for 9:10 and 1:40 but my partner can’t make it now. I’m driving there and back. Ignore the fact that the high is under 50 degrees. LMK

1 Like

I lost two balls on that hole the only time I played there.

1 Like

This recent trend of hilarious hole discussion (as well as my recent “Get Paid to Not Work” arrangement with my former employer) has given me some new energy - I’m planning to do a couple more Course Reviews like I did for Jackson Park a little ways back. I’m targeting a joint Harborside review, Sydney Marovitz in the city, and then Olympia Fields from the other day.

If any of you have any specific thoughts on any holes at those courses, feel free to DM me and I’d love to integrate some of those into the write ups!

@McDuffin specifically I thought you may have some insightful input into your impressive two-putt* of the 3rd green at Olympia Fields, for example.

*We won’t mention the three chips in between the two putts, it’s a safe space.

2 Likes

1 like on this post and I get myself a season pass at Mt. Prospect next year. I still live in MP and through some shady dealings (just not changing my address on my drivers license when I hit 26) I can hold onto said pass forever.

I spent way more than the price of that pass playing golf this year and given the fact I have summers off from educating the youth I can get out for 4-5 rounds a week easily.

8 Likes

I double dog dare you.

Ah fuck. Decades of watching A Christmas Story the morning of have taught me that’s legally binding.

2 Likes

As someone who never seems to be able to find a tee time out there…the season pass is a great idea

2 Likes

Either that Lost march hole and the closing at The Heather (Randy favorite hole) have to take the cake! IMO

First off, I absolutely love #3 at OF, its on my list best holes(I’ll even say I like more than 14). And although that was an epic 2 putt, I got the idea thanks to @Slips after watching his chip slowly dissappear and then my putt follow. I’ll have to deal with those demons until maybe someday I get revenge.

I’m also with @VenkmansLament on 18 at village links, not a fan. The water is definitely one thing, but add the clubhouse factor on the approach after bending the drive left and complicating things by pulling the 2nd shot further left is nothing short of trouble. Or maybe I just love adventures and beer…

4 Likes

You full for Saturday?