Roll Call “Chicago” (Part 1)

oh yeah, i’m in on this. I’ve just registered for the May 21st one.

1 Like

Got out to Sunset Valley on Saturday morning. Easy walk, definitely want to get back and see what it’s like more dried out, and less wind (was playing in to 30+ that morning, and couldn’t feel my hands til it warmed up around the 6th hole). Promising renovation so far, clearly removed trees and brush, though some long stuff likely coming back in season.
2 foursomes let me through, thanks if any of you were part of them, as one had a NLU towel.

Anyone from central IL?

I’m currently living in Bloomington/Normal which is actually an amazing golf town.

The Den at Fox Creek, Prarie Vista, Weibring Golf Club are all AMAZING value for the price.

I’m out in Peoria. Great muni courses in Peoria proper and the surrounding towns.

TRIGGERED from State golf days…was always cold and blustery

Oh boy- what a nightmare. Actually love that back 9 though. Used to play in the summer MAJGTs there when I was in high school.

This just jumped across my twitter timeline. It may be of interest to some Chicago area refugees. Joining forces for one of the foursomes/threesomes could be a thing too.

1 Like

fully aware that it’s easter, but i was thinking about trying to play Ravisloe this sunday if anybody is interested. ive never been and it’s supposed to be quite nice so it seemed like the right time

1 Like

Got a group or you looking for any add ons?

There’s two of us so far, both first timers for this event. Got a possible third. You’re more than welcome to join in either case @rkasko

Maybe I’m being an incredible homer as Mount Prospect has been my home since my family moved out the northwest side of the city, but how about this thread rallies to get an NLU outing at MPGC? This is only viable if NLU actually starts doing outings, which I swear they have mentioned in various pods and on Twitter.

The course has various aspects that would appeal to the architecture sensibilities of the NLU guys - Raynor design, bunch of template greens and holes (15th at North Berwick and the Road hole), among other things that appease fellow golf nerds.

It’s easily accessible by the highway and very affordable.

Just a thought.

2 Likes

I’m in the west burbs but want to play that course. I’d do my best to make it!

Sounds like they’re coming out BMW week if you can get some traction for a meet up with the crew. I’m volunteering at the BMW, so hard for me to make it work.

I’d be down with a NLU Refuge outing.

1 Like

I come from the city and have had western burbs buddies meet me, its really accessible from 294 and 90 on weekend mornings before traffic starts.

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/private-public-golf-courses-to-bid-on-in-chicago/6796?u=pushdraw

FYI – this was just posted by @mwennmaker

Dropping in for the requisite new member introduction. Located in the far western suburbs (Lisle, Downers Grove, Naperville). I usually play as a single, always looking for a partner and to try new courses.

Self ascribed scouting report:

• Too afraid to track my handicap, but it’s around a 12
  • Low skill
  • Low motor
  • Strong locker room presence
  • Misses are both mental and physical
  • In perpetual pursuit of the perfect bogie
  • Frequently possesses range shanks
  • Occasionally drinks during a round, almost always after
1 Like

Count me in as well. I used to work in MP and have used the practice facility but never made it out on the course. Andy Johnson over at The Fried Egg included it on his best budget rounds and gave it high praise.

I’d be willing to play a round on a weekend as well if anyone is interested.

That made me laugh

1 Like

Very pro-Mount Prospect. Place is legit.

As was mentioned, the NLU guys will probably be in the Chicago area for the BMW at Medinah in August.

Maybe if we get in contact with them on this read or through Twitter as we get closer to the date we can figure something out? Even if it’s just a group of Refugees and maybe a few of the guys themselves. Could be fun. Let me hear your thoughts.

Also I should probably admit I’d be the worst guy in the group with my 21 handicap. I suck but I enjoy playing the game. My brother works at MP and got me out one day and I got ejected by the circusy greens.

4 Likes