Roll Call “Chicago” (Part 1)

Some of the neighborhood guys my Dad plays with have a permanent Sunday morning time so this point makes total sense for MP.

I don’t think this is what got him riled up enough to write the piece though. His focus in the piece, to me, seems to be rightly griping about newer trees planted in spots that will surely harm the smaller existing greens.

4 Likes

If by SE MN you mean Winona, MN then go try Cedar Valley if you have time. It was the home course in college and is a lot of fun in terms of elevation changes; it’s cut out of the bluffs lining the Mississippi. Very affordable and always in good condition

2 spots available for a 6:50 am tee time at Sunset Valley this Friday if anyone is interested.

Anyone know the state of Calumet? Last I found online they’re hung up in court trying to get Homewood to let them sell or get annexed by Hazel Crest, but wondering if anyone has more info.

Showed up to my tee time last week and nobody was there except a few maintenance guys and some kid who was giving away range balls and carts saying, “I don’t care, just take it.” Pro shop completely locked up so people were just going out when they were ready. Anarchy!

2 Likes

Woah really? I played there a few weeks ago and everything was normal.

Yeah, it was weird. A group of guys playing behind me who I met when I walked up said they were there two days earlier and everything was normal so idk if it was just that morning. Another single who I caught up to and played the last 12 holes with said the Dan Ryan was completely closed that morning so perhaps whoever was opening got screwed by traffic? By the time I walked off 18 (11 am or so) someone was in the shop but it was the weirdest 20 minutes when none of the 6 people waiting around knew what was going on

1 Like

Is there any interest here in doing another Chicagoland Refuge thing in the fall? I know you guys did a few last year, I wanted to play in the MPGC get together but I was already playing 36 with my dad and his buddies at Klein Creek.

Would be fun to get out and play with you guys and finally match usernames to faces.

11 Likes

Man, that is a wild story. I feel for Calumet CC, played with @JBors a few weeks ago and it was a fun round. Course was hit hard by - what I assumed - C19 essential staff only, but am hearing more about how it’s been on a downturn for a while.

I still think about holes 4-6. Just an insane 3 hole stretch that is so much fun. Wanted to get back to play those alone, but seems like it may be a lost cause.

Definitely interested.

same.

also - I got an email this morning from Harborside for their “Morning Meeting” tee times. Anyone interested in the August one? 555am on Wednesday, Aug 12, port course, $60.

Alright guys - bunch of likes on my post about an outing so it seems like there’s some interest here. Comment below with courses you’d like to play, if you’re interested in team games, would you wanna play 18 or 36, what time of year (IIRC the Chicago Refuge events last year were in the fall), etc etc.

I would greatly appreciate help with the planning from someone more experienced in that. Being quite honest I myself am a 22 handicap and my experience with golf event planning was sending out an all staff email at my work and playing a 3v3 scramble at Fresh Meadow with some fellow teachers and the principals.

Hopefully we can get a framework of something here and plan to get out maybe once or twice in the late summer or early fall. Cheers!

Personally would want to play 18, and we probably get more traction that way.

Would be really cool to do it at Ravines in the fall.

1 Like

There’s really not much to do in the way of planning. If you want to be democratic, throw up a poll with a few dates, then when the date is decided, put up a poll for courses. Or take the authoritarian approach: pick a date and a course and gauge interest. If we have a big enough group, (16 or so), you can probably get the course to block off a group of tee times a couple weeks early.

Time of year seems less important now. In the fall it’s easier to get people together because there’s less going on than the summer.

I appreciate the feedback. What’s the best time frame to post those polls if I’m looking to have it one of the last weekends of September? Exactly a month out or like 2 weeks?

Now.

Really, two months out?

Hey man, some of us have wives that need this kind of advanced planning!

3 Likes

Fair enough, I’m a twentysomething teacher who honestly forgets what day of the week it is in the summer. I’ll get on the poll stuff soon.

1 Like

I’d love to do 36 but agree 18 will be easier for most folks with time constraints. If you can land a Saturday, that’d be great, as the current tracking… my fall Saturdays probably are freeing up and likely have ticket refunds to allocate elsewhere.
SurveyMonkey for poll or public Google Doc for tracking.

Team comp sounds cool, as long as us singles can get paired up.

Cog #2, Sunset Valley - I’m sure several public places would love to lock up a couple 4somes this far out.