Roll Call: Bay Area Golfers

I haven’t but Sharp was next on my list. I’m absolutely up for that

Hello Bay area NLU-ers! City-based golfer checking in here. I typically get out once a week and have enjoyed the year round weather here since relocating from the northeast. Always open to meet new folks. Thought I’d drop a few notes/recs in:

1. Best public range: Peacock Gap (San Rafael). All grass, multiple greens, bunkers, and chipping area. Course is just ok. But I can be there in 35 mins and beats bashing balls into the prevailing wind of the Presidio cliff range.

2. Best Value: Corica South (Alameda) - test your shotmaking on a Sand-belt style links course. I’ve yet to score well here which means I’ll be back plenty till I figure it out. Runs firm and fast and rewards creativity, accuracy and lower balls flights. $30-60 walking (VERY WALKABLE).

3. Best of the City (public): TPC Harding Park (Daly City) - as they prep for the 2020 PGA, the rough is being grown in and up, making the usual tame/open course play quite spicy. Large greens, beautiful views and as others have mentioned, super reasonable with a resident card (I usually pay $80). Also easily walkable.

4. Best Northern Excursion: Northwood (Monte rio) - hat tip Fried Egg. Nothing quite like the sound of an iron shot echoing through redwoods. Go!

5. Best Southern Excursion/Wish list: Pasatiempo (Santa Cruz). Haven’t gone yet, but if you know, you know.

6. Best remodel: Baylands Golf Links (Palo Alto) - the old Palo Alto Muni got a major facelift and I honestly fell in love with this little links course. Wind is the main defense (or aid) as I hit Driver-7 iron into both of the Par 5s with the wind, yet couldn’t get anywhere near greens in cross winds. Firm and fast, I’m looking forward to going back.

7. Best Private: no idea :slight_smile: Played Olympic Club (Ocean) and Lake Merced (which is freaking awesome) once. But if any local members want to hook an addict up, let me know!

Cheers and Crack on!

8 Likes

Check out pac grove as well to the south

Also shout out sharp park, great vibes please get back to the original design

1 Like

Give props to Gleneagles as well…maybe best 9-hole (public), which is run by an old friend of mine. Agree with the note about the Peacock Gap range (see my post from May 6). I’m playing there tomorrow.

I live in the East Bay and am a member at Orinda CC.

2 Likes

I played Sharp a few years back and while the bones are there I couldn’t get past the extremely poor conditions. Has it improved at all?

I am playing Sharp on Sunday, and will report back. First time I’ve played there since the mid 80’s.

2 Likes

I certainly would not classify the current conditions as “poor”, but rather typical muni. Just know going in you might get a couple funny lies or bumps on the greens and enjoy it for what it is. It ain’t bad.

2 Likes

Summary: not worth a visit anytime soon. Course is the same terrible shape it was when I played it 50+ times back in the 70s and 80s. Only this time, the old practice hole (now #8) is part of the course, instead of something you walked by.

Wait until the restoration is eventually done (they will need to replace the entire course’s turf, and sand-cap it…this will cost a fortune) before spending the $54 to walk.

1 Like

Hey all! I’m planning on moving to the bay in Sep/Oct, has anyone played TPC Stonebrae? I know they have the Ellie Mae out there. Thanks!

Thanks for the update.

Are you planning to join it, or buy a house there?

1 Like

I plan on joining, don’t really think buying a house is the best idea for now

I definitely recommend that you play the course before you join. When wind is blowing, can get pretty difficult. Many holes that look like this:

2 Likes

That looks like a great club and course

2 Likes

Yeah i think it’s very well priced to just get a golf membership for young people, really hoping to improve my game! Currently in Chicago and weather is awful!

I’m in San Jose. Been in Bay Area a while and joined Pasatiempo about 2.5 years ago. Loving it. I like a bunch of the courses people have mentioned. Harding Park(fun and a nice walk), Presidio(great layout-and a good walk, remember your layers), Half Moon Bay (both courses), Cinnabar Hills (nice greens to my recollection, but is a cart. When I got back into golf I joined there and played there quite a bit). I never really liked Coyote Creek for some reason. Played Tilden Park in Berkeley when I was in grad school, and remember enjoying it. Had my best 9 ever on the front at Laguna Seca (-4), course can be fun. Had my only ever even par round at Santa Teresa (which is a fun course, and walkable).

Nice to meet you all.

5 Likes

Nice. I’m going to be down in The Bay the weekend of the 20th. Going to carry for a buddy playing in a match play qualifier in Santa Rosa then we are either going to do Pasa and somewhere else, or shoot down to Monterey for spyglass and possibly Pebble if we can get on. If we end up doing Pasatiempo maybe I’ll shoot you a dm would be fun to go out with a refugee. The last time we played there we ended up joining these two awesome ladies in their 60s Barb and Cathy. They could not have been nicer… they literally had people bring us cocktails out to the 13th hole and then bought us lunch and drinks after. Really made my first experience there amazing. It was funny too because when we caught up to them and they asked if we wanted to join we were kinda bummed haha. They ended up being so so cool. Told us they have a regular group of ladies that call their group the “mother fucking potty mouth club” too funny.

3 Likes

Sounds good. Have fun at Santa Rosa!

I live in Santa Rosa; which course?

Oakmont. Maybe it’s not exactly in Santa Rosa proper. Not sure the exact town. Played there last month it’s a pretty easy track lotta birdie holes. He’s gonna need to go low I think.

1 Like