Roll Call: Bay Area Golfers

I keep hoping to see some news about Aetna Springs reopening. It really should be the Sweetens Cove of California.

2 Likes

I know the old director of ops, and when I talked to him a couple weeks ago, he said he still wasn’t sure when it would open again. Bummer considering he was confident it’d open this year when I talked to him last summer. That being said, they’re still maintaining the course and I had a couple buddies just show up a play it last month and nobody stopped 'em.

1 Like

It probably wouldn’t get nearly as much love as is does given the MacKenzie pedigree, but the design is just a part of what makes it so great. The laid back vibe, the stunning scenery, incredible bar and restaurant, its ties to the Bohemian Grove, combined with a golf course that’s superb (1, 4 and 6 are world-class short par-4’s and #'s 2, 5, 7, 8, and 9 are fantastic in their own right) is what makes it so special.

2 Likes

I did take my dad out to Northwood this morning. I was worried about whether it would love up too the refuge hype, and today it certainly did. The greens were fun, hardly a single true flat lie in the fairways. Scenic and quirky. Lived up to the hype. Also we definitely need a refuge tournament out there. Not volunteering as I have a new three week old at home.

3 Likes

Continuing the Northwood hype train … the place is truly special. You can play it so many different ways which makes it fun and keeps you coming back. Also, hearing your golf ball hit a redwood tree is just different. Hoping the NLU guys follow ZB & Fried Egg with a trip out there. Would be great to see a Refuge event there as well.

2 Likes

We’re prob just going to host our own. Someone just needs to step up. Anyone have a contact there?

I’ve been looking forward to playing Foxtail, is it not very interesting? Unfortunately I live hours away from anywhere and the only 18 hole track I get to play regularly is Ukiah Municipal.

1 Like

Hey all, I’ve been listening to the podcast for years but recently found my way here. I’m in the East Bay. Corica Park is my home course but I like to move around and play as many courses as possible.

3 Likes

Welcome! You’re in luck bc most of us are obsessed with CP haha. As you can see we have one of the more active regions on the refuge. Don’t be afraid to reach out for a game.

1 Like

Just played Corica for the first time yesterday. It was a great track with some crazy fast greens.

Totally down to make the drive up to Northwood.

1 Like

@ProbablyPunting Foxtail is my home course. The south course is essentially the local muni and the north course is a step above (home to Sonoma State golf team). If you can only play one, play the North. More variety, less crowds (typically), and better condition of two courses.

1 Like

i grew up at mountain shadows(foxtail), ended up working there for 5 years. the north course holds a special place in my heart. great walk.

2 Likes

What do we think draws a larger Refuge turnout, a single day rental of Northwood or a big chunk of tee times across the 18 and mini 9 holer at Corica?

2 Likes

Anyone care to play Sunday morning with a humble visitor from Boston? Libra, plays fast, has car and willing to travel. Sadly, due to work obligation, must tee off 9am or earlier.

I could probably arrange for Claremont Country Club or happy to play wherever anyone else is playing. Thanks either way.

3 Likes

I’d try to attend both.

Funny you ask I just sent in a request to Northwood for some info on holding an event there this morning. Waiting to hear back

1 Like

NorCal’ers, I’d recommend reaching out to others on this forum and getting on the course with them.

I recently played with @greebs who remained great company while battling it on the course that day. Super bright, kind, interesting dude.

I’ve previously played in the event that @GremlinGolfer spearheaded at Corica Park in October and got to play with three solid guies: @catshannon, @GDB12 and @tizz. Golf sickos, all, and patiently provided much-needed shoulders to cry on as I had an epic back 9 meltdown.

This past weekend, I had the pleasure of getting together with @Mack, @catshannon and @fullbodyfix. Mack referred to himself as a high variance 8. . . and proved it on the first tee with a dribbler short of the forward tees followed by a 340 yard (maybe more?) center cut bomb. More importantly he was fun, funny and positive. Cat is just silky smooth, pounds it, has laser accuracy with his irons and may be the most afflicted golf sicko I know (who convinces their wife to allow one to convert a living room to an indoor hitting bay?). And Fullbody shows up to the range, shanks, fats and tops the ball for 15 minutes, claims he’s an 11 (which seemed borderline vanity-cap based on the range session) and proceeds to shoot a front nine 38 on a tough track, missing one fairway all day. He fell off the torrid pace, but only a bit, on the back 9. Combined with some favorable variance from Mack, they relieved Cat and me of some hard-earned cash. Photographic evidence of Mr. Hi-variance – pure drive to middle of fairway, then leave wedge buried under lip of bunker. . . but then blast out from an impossible stance to save par:

Moral of the story: reach out to others and take advantage of what we have here.

11 Likes

@GremlinGolfer is terrible to play with. No fun at all and blasts Whitney Houston on 11.

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. So many good guis around here.
Had a smile all day - such good company.
Hat tip for the host @Shankadelic.
And yes, that was easily my worst range session. Ever. Followed by my best round. Ever.
Oh golf. Lol.

6 Likes

Incredibly gracious of you to leave out the details of the 18th hole. Bringing a close to the worst round I’ve played in ~3 months, I put a ball in the absolute green light zone on a ~500 yard par five, left myself 196 with 185 of it over water into a bit of wind. I had asked @fullbodyfix to bring his 3 iron (currently for sale on the Silk Road, #getinvolved) because I was interested. I made absolutely peeyuure contact with the ground 4 inches behind the ball and put the ball right in the middle of the pond. I did not buy the club.

Jokes aside, @Shankadelic is an awesome host and even better dude. @catshannon 's mind is clearly as sharp or sharper than his golf game, and @fullbodyfix has a back made of iron after piggybacking my sorry game around all day.

I desperately want to put a Bay Area meetup together, there’s too many of us to not get an NIT spot to somebody.

7 Likes