Roll Call: Bay Area Golfers

Have a spot tmrw at Pasatiempo 1PM. $150 if you want to join me.

You know I am!

1 Like

Hello! Sounds like my new job is taking me to San Francisco Aug 3-5, and I was thinking of staying the weekend and trying to play some golf on Saturday if anyone would like to swing 'em with a PNW guy.

6 Likes

Going to be a bit tough as 24 of us are playing an annual rivalry called the fleming cup in monterey at Pacific Grove on the 6th, but hopefully one or more of the others not playing can shepherd you around one of our many fine offerings.

3 Likes

Would normally ask you out to my club, Richmond CC but it’s being aerated that week and oddly the Ladies tournament is that Saturday just after aeration.

Would love to do this but have full commitments on 7/23, but would be happy to have you down to Richmond if you’re interested sometime.

How many members does Napa have if you can’t play in your member guest?

I’ll be around and should be up for a game

1 Like

Played a new course this weekend and was curious what others thoughts are on it. Indian Valley in Novato. After a few days to reflect on my round I still don’t know how I feel about it.

The design was quite provocative! Short course, OB everywhere, lots of elevation changes, blind shots, and some WILD greens. A blind tee shot on a par 3 was a new experience for me. I thought 16 was maybe the worst hole I’ve played (design wise). I have more thoughts but want to hear what you sickos think first.

1 Like

I’ve played it twice. I think it’s actually quite fun. You have to sort of embrace the quirk. 17 (the blind par 3) has been discussed…similar to one at Carmel Valley and Chardonnay…you sort of just have to hit a straight shot and hope lol.

On 16 - the mega down hill par 5 - which green was in play? I do think that makes a difference. The one down to the left is blah. The one up to the right is provocative haha.

The finishing hole is also a tough / weird one where you have less than driver off the tee and then a possible reachable second shot completely blind.

I’d say give it another shot. embrace the weird.

3 Likes

I’ve played Indian Valley quite a bit. @fullbodyfix said what I was going to about 16 and 18. I actually have more issues with 14, the hole after the funicular in that almost every tee shot rolls down to the right, leaving a truly shitty second shot. Unless things have changed, there is NO flat landing spot that will let you have a better approach which is … pretty dumb.

That said, there’s only two public courses in Marin and it’s a much more interesting course than Peacock Gap. It’s walkable (especially with the funicular on 14) but a tough walk in spots. I appreciate it because it feels different than almost every other course I play around here. I’d give it another shake, for sure.

4 Likes

Full agree here - “embrace the quirk” indeed. I played 3 or 4 rounds this summer in the Spark Golf league at IV and really enjoyed it. Also the bar is a great post round hang - leaps and bounds better than the :peacock: vibe imo.

let’s not neglect the remarkable, walkable 9-holer that is Mill Valley.

3 Likes

I always DO neglect it, and I shouldn’t. It’s minutes from me, and I haven’t played it in like 20 years. It’s a disgrace.

2 Likes

I freaking love that place. Right up there with Gleneagles in terms of absolute joy IMO.

3 Likes

As a kid in high school, because we don’t get snow out here, we used to go buy blocks of ice at 7/11 and at night go “ice sliding” down the hills until the greenskeeper showed up furious. I didn’t golf then and didn’t realize what a complete dick move it was, but it was truly a joy. I"m going to force myself to get out there this summer. (During the day, sans ice.)

2 Likes

I love that course. If I wasn’t 30 mins away from it out here in Fairfax, I’d definitely be hitting it up often for weekday evening rounds. Love the vibe; people walking their dogs out on the course, Mt Tam looming over, redwoods, etc.

Wait, there is a funicular?! That’s gotta be the most #infrastruktur bit of infrastructure ever constructed!

I happen to have a bit of a thing for funicular conveyances :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Yep! It’s a bit terrifying since it’s not clear when it was built but it’s been running for sometime, and if you are carrying your bag it’s a great relief for sure, as the walk up to the 14th tee (I’ve played it at least once or twice when the funicular isn’t working) is NOT GOOD

2 Likes

I’ve never taken it… too paranoid of getting stuck. Someday… will remember to take video.

1 Like

I love Indian Valley. Definitely a little funky, but very fun and scoreable. There aren’t any holes out there that feel repetitive which is pretty impressive!

4 Likes