Roll Call: Bay Area Golfers

To take what @needmorespeed said to another level. Here are my views on going and playing on a budget while still appreciating the full spectrum of all things Monterey on your first time down.

The time change helps immensely with any region, but for the Monterey Peninsula its clutch.

Pacific Grove is a no brainer. Have fun making that memory.

For Poppy Hills, here are the rates
MEMBERS: $85 (MON-THU) / $115 (FRI-SUN)
GUESTS (Accompanied by NCGA Member): $115 (MON-THU) / $145 (FRI-SUN)
NCGA TWILIGHT: $50 (MON-THU) $75 (FRI-SUN)

Twilight at Poppy Hills is 3:30 pm in Spring, and you can make that tee time 90 days out, so best get on it.

Bayonet and Black Horse are super fun, but at their rates, and at their location, for your first time down just don’t know why you wouldn’t go Pacific Grove Poppy Hills. Its where you want to hang out anyways. The Pacific Grove gate for 17 mile is a 2 minute drive from Pacific Grove Golf.

I also highly recommend just going and hanging out at Spanish Bay and Pebble. The practice putting green at Spanish Bay might have the best view of any in the world, and watching people finish their rounds at Pebble is a blast. Gets you pretty jacked up about playing golf in general; especially when you bring your own beer and food out to the lawn adjacent to the 18th Green there.

Definitely take the time to make the drive through 17 mile. At any gate location, all you need to do is say you’re playing at Poppy Hills, and you’ll get in. Kind of shady but whatever.

The last thing I will say is, if you’re super interested in playing the courses of Pebble Beach. Pay attention to the rolling deals that PBGC rolls out. Then there is also a Duke’s Club Membership. Just depends on your angle and approach.

6 Likes

Haha, that sounds pretty delightful! I’ll check it out, thanks. On any given day I will shoot high 80’s to low 100’s (I definitely have some work to do). Finally got my first HCP last week after joining BV Golf Club. I’m afraid it is sitting at 22 after 3 muddy, rain-filled rounds. :smiley: I look forward to watching it drop.

2 Likes

This is all exactly right. Hang out at Pebble, drool over Cypress, MPCC and Spyglass. Drink some Mad Otter if you can find it - really good local beer they used to have at Poppy Hills but if not you can usually find it at a liquor store in Pacific Grove

The nice thing about MGA Tournaments is there is always one or many folks there who won’t break 120 in the tournament. Then there are guys who break 80 (which disqualifies you immediately) and those who, say, shoot an 82 but get 9-10 strokes added so their net 92 only gets them a top-five or top-10, not the win.

I shot an 86 once and went to a playoff but lost, and then won last year in a team event, and came in second in the individual, again while shooting 90.

1 Like

I will second Poppy over Bayonet/BH, the value is much higher. Bayo and BH are fantastic for the member rates but I think they charge way too much for guest play. Pacific Grove is undefeated for the budget option, but if you’re willing to flirt with sunset, the late day Bayo/BH play is pretty great. Last I checked it was $45 for a cart and as many as you can fit in after 2pm. Might need to call to check though

Please expound on this…

I suppose any course directly on the Coast… With the way Poppy Hills… and the rest of the courses on the Monterey Peninsula sit, Twilight start at 3:30 gets you another “x” minutes of light. So if you tee off down there at 3:30 you could get 18 holes in after the Spring Forward time change. So really, helps the wallet at the end of the day. Is it a guarantee, no of course not. But I bet if you call Poppy and ask, they’ll say yes. Always call the course I suppose. Pace of play is always an obstacle obviously. For $50 M-TH at Poppy though, its fantastic. I have done it myself, and finished 18… yes the last hole was dark, but it was super pretty those last 4 holes at sunset in the trees up there.

If you play Del Monte or Bayonet/Blackhourse; Laguna Seca… etc… your inland so the hills may take away the ability to finish 18.

Was down there in September, watching people finish at Pebble, and there were fourballs coming in at 7 pm. It was dark, but its also because the hill on the coast line that back drops the 18th green obscures sunset. Anything on the other side of the Peninsula gets a lot more light.

I suppose its always prudent to check sunset time of year you are going anywhere to play golf.

The Head Pro at Spyglass let me play the first 6 holes by myself after my 12:45 round finished… and when I finished the 6th hole, I had enough light to go play 2-4 again… but didn’t want to push it!!!

3 Likes

would be hard pressed to find a loop anywhere that brings you right back where you started and beats 2-4 at spyglass!

2 Likes

OK, at least your argument makes sense, it isn’t “there’s an extra hour now”.

I haven’t played enough golf lately in the Bay Area to know if golf courses change their Twilight hours with the change in DST- back here in the cold-weather Midwest most courses set their Twilight specials for DST, since it usually isn’t warm enough to play earlier in the Spring. Sucks in the Fall because those Twilight rates are pretty useless once time changes back.

Anyone know a good custom fit shop that they would recommend in the Southbay? I’ve done the golf galaxy thing and it can be quite MEH.

Went to the golftec in Redwood City. Young guy is pretty good. But the vibe is not my style.

Think there a club champion down that way too. @giles ?

Good to know. I’ve had good experiences at Golf Mart but hoping for a small shop to get dialed in. Cause evidently it’s good to support a small shop. Shoutout to @MerchCzar.

Peninsula golf in San Mateo is great!

1 Like

Anyone have any insight on blue rock springs? Which course should I play?

They are both fun. I think the West is much better, neither is truly SPECIAL but they are really good deals for the value. East has a few fairways that run up and down next to each other so it can feel a bit “samey” which is why I favor the West course.

4 Likes

Hey Bay area golfers - I’m new to the area as I just relocated to the east bay burbs (San Ramon) from the frozen tundra of Minnesota and could use some recommendations for local courses. My game is a bit rusty and I’m not that good (typically shoot in the mid 90s). I prefer walking as a proud member of the #pushcartmafia - and I’d welcome some company or an invite to join a local group of golfing degenerates. FWIW - also a Peloton member, tread and bike, but prefer to run outdoors. Thanks!

3 Likes

Welcome to the fray, phil! lots of good option in the east bay. One of my personal favs for regular rounds, especially forgiving if the wind is down is Monarch Bay, Tony Lema course. Generous off the tee and extremely walkable. You won’t get beat up unless it’s really blowing.

Corica Park in Alameda. More challenging but, awesome. It’s where we’re hosting the Norcal NIT qualifier in 2 weeks.

Lot’s to choose from all over. Wente Vinyards (not walkable but dope) and Poppy Ridge (NCGA course). More East bay guis can chime in.

I moved from snowy Northeast 6 yrs and I still pinch myself teeing it up year round. Cheers.

2 Likes

Let me be the first to warn you off the Bridges. I mean maybe go play it once so you can arrive and see how well its maintained and then experience one of the worse designed courses out there. It’s truly awful.

You should play Canyon Lakes. Its pretty cheap and is good in a strapped kind of way. Not the best course, not kept in the best shape, but i always enjoy my experience there.

6 Likes

What he said. You may be tempted by The Bridges, but unless you are a member of Opus Dei and enjoy emotional pain, stay away. Already mentioned are Wente Vineyards and Poppy Ridge but don’t sleep on a cheaper, and personal favorite of mine, Callippe Preserve.

Also, don’t play The Bridges. Not sure if that’s been stated clearly enough.

3 Likes

+1 for Callippe. Solid track and always in good shape. I used to work around the corner from Monarch Bay, course can be tough when the wind is up but is always in decent shape and a fun walk. They do a “membership” type thing there that included range balls and 18 after 3pm was like $10 with a free beer. I think it was like $30 a month.

2 Likes