Roll Call: Bay Area Golfers

My buddies and I just bought the links card a few weeks ago and now I’m concerned it was a waste of money. Do you still think it’s worth it?

if you can get the free round that comes with it then it should be worth it…I have been trying to use mine since March and they keep saying something about how the system will allow it at some point but not sure when. They say I wont lose it but I’m still waiting…

If you do play a lot it will help out, you get a free round using points at around $650 spent I think.

1 Like

this year’s flyer doesn’t mention the free round on purchase date like last years. Holding out until Jan to see if they add it, in which case it basically pays for itself immediately. Not feeling optimistic given how packed the place is.

3 Likes

yeah without the free round I might hold off on this deal…unless I am sure I’m going to play 7-10 times then maybe it ends up paying for itself.

I’ve been wanting to check out Baylands since a couple guys I’ve played with at Corica have told me it’s the next closest thing. It seems like it’s a little easier to get a tee time at Baylands, but every time I’ve checked, the prices are through the roof. So I just end up refreshing the Corica tee time page until something opens up.

I also got a chance to check out Chardonnay yesterday for a free birthday round and really enjoyed the scenery, especially on the front nine. I thought Corica’s greens were pretty big, but man, some of the greens at Chardonnay are enormous.

If anyone else is in the East Bay (I’m in Walnut Creek), would love to tee it up with you. I generally always play solo, but would enjoy the company of some Refugees! Also planning on heading to Palm Springs area for a couple days after Christmas, so if anyone has recommendations, they would be much appreciated - currently looking at La Quinta Mountain and PGA West Stadium.

1 Like

your entire foursome gets the discounted rate, so if you bring a full group, it pays for itself in many less rounds than that. Its definitely a great deal, as long as you can get a tee time.

Also pretty good is golf cash, where you preload $x into the app and then can book tee times worth $x+10-20%. That deal is stackable with the links card rate.

4 Likes

I’ve never looked into their golfcash deal, but given I have 15 rounds at baylands this year it would have saved me some $$$ for sure! thanks for the heads up on that

1 Like

“nobody goes to Baylands anymore, its too crowded”
-@giles (probably)

5 Likes

I remember Baylands was also really pricey the year it reopened…similar prices to now. Hopefully prices trend back down but given current demand everywhere it doesn’t seem super likely. The dynamic pricing model is interesting…will they put caps on it? or let it just keep going up? i suppose we’ll find out! As long as twilight pricing through the summer is reasonable I’ll be content

2 Likes

Wow, I’m an idiot…could have saved some $$ using this. Does anyone know if you still accrue Links points if you pay for tee times with golf cash? If so spend $600 to get $700 in golfcash, get the links points then use them on an expensive tee time (pretty sure I used 650 to get a time in the past but just checked and it was 750 for a $100 time slot). Seems like a decent deal to me now that I look at it.

Brag.

1 Like

Remember the ‘good old days’ right as golf resumed…solo tee times only…2 & half hr rounds at sunrise…bashing 4fters off raised nerf and artificially low caps?!

Those were the days :joy:

6 Likes

Chardonnay is fun, if you like it you should check out Eagle Vines next door. Chardonnay sold off part of their property and then EV opened up. It’s harder in my opinion but has some great holes.

@GremlinGolfer is your guy for the Palm Springs area but one course I can’t recommend enough is Indian Wells Celebrity Course. Perfect blend of challenging but super scenic and accessible for all.

1 Like

Yes! Walking a fast morning round with mellow tunes playing was a dream!

I would probably pay double to be first out as a single at this point :rofl:

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, I went back through my old confirmation emails to double check. Baylands was considerably cheaper when it first opened.

1 Like

Nice! I just found the receipt for $82 the first time I played it in October 2018. Word must have gotten out by then! All I remember from that first round is getting ejected on the greens…they were so firm

1 Like

I wonder if it’s also cheaper in the summer since there are more times available? Would make sense with the dynamic pricing it would be the most expensive on weekends during the off season? Who knows haha

2 Likes

Some goof options for your sojourn to the Desert:

PGA West Nicklaus Tournament - New greens this summer so they are firm but the course is good.
PGA West Stadium Course - Difficult, difficult, difficult. BUt fun
PGA West Norman Course - The Most “desert-y” of the four PGA West Public courses
PGA West Weiskopf - The easiest of the 4 PGA West Public courses
Silverock Golf Club - Located around the corner from PGA West. I really enjoy this course. Usually in really good shape with a load of fun holes
La Quinta Resort, Mountain Course - Pete Dye course with some of the best views of the Coachella Valley and Salton Sea
La Quinta Resort, Dunes Course- I played this last week and really had a nice time. The two LQ Resort courses will be your most affordable options

3 Likes

I’m a Walnut Creek resident as well. I play at Oakhurst in Clayton and can host you anytime if you want to get out there, but I do play all over the Bay area when I get sick of the same course. Let me know if you’d like to get out!

1 Like

Anyone want to play Bayonet next monday, 12:20pm? $60 walking for NCGA members

1 Like