Roll Call: Bay Area Golfers

Lol is it a widely known fact he’s a total drag?! Glad I’m not alone.

1 Like

oh yeah, HE SUCKS. Most of the locals down here can’t figure out why they keep him around in a customer service role. I would play there at least once a week if it weren’t for him. We used to have a wednesday game there but he got mad enough to cuss at one of the guys in our group during early covid because it was “too much work” for him to have people call in to give him our CC info since we couldn’t pay in person. The group moved to bayonet after that call

1 Like

Is Art the big guy with no neck?

1 Like

Yup. Altho his neck is making a comeback. He’s lost like 80 lbs lately

1 Like

Good for him. Hopefully he lost the ‘tude as well.

2 Likes

Anyone playing next week during the week? Would love a game or two

Long shot but if anyone’s up for a drive on Sunday morning to play my home course, Dryden Park in Modesto, let me know. $31 to walk. Thinking of grabbing a foursome mid morning.

With the newly announced change in the board coming soon, and given that I will probably move on from NLU as I only check out here a little bit, if anyone wants to connect with me for the above next year, DM me your contact info and I will make it happen. Orinda is an under the radar treat, especially after our 2015 restoration and the continuing care of superintendent Josh Smith, and I am confident that no one will be disappointed.

5 Likes

Did you end up getting fit somewhere? I’m debating jumping on their black friday deal and getting fit for the first time

1 Like

Already playing Baylands Sunday morning but I was debating driving out to play Dryden Park last week and wasn’t sure it was worth the 1+ hr drive. Give me your best sales pitch on it.

Beautiful warm night today, especially for the day after thanksgiving! Hope some of you got to enjoy it.

14 Likes

It’s firm and fast. That’s all I got. :slight_smile:

In all seriousness it’s a fun track with small greens. Not overly long.

1 Like

Played Baylands Sunday morning…it was chilly! Course condition seemed to slip a little from this summer but maybe that’s typical of winter out there. Greens had some fire though. They were rolling VERY quick. Anyone else play it this weekend?

Played out at Lone Tree, they are one of the few courses that have bent grass greens in the bay. They were slick, but playable. You can spray the ball off the tee(wink, wink), but the challenge comes around the greens. First time playing there and I would go back.

Lone Tree is kinda underrated IMO. How was the overall condition? I’ve been meaning to get back out there but it’s always packed.

Yeah, I was surprised that I haven’t heard of it before. Greens were good, but the fairways were spotty. Overall, I would say “good.”

1 Like

The conditions will begin to slide from now through the rest of the winter, if trends from the last couple years hold. It will be very soggy once it starts raining in January/February, and then start to firm up again in ~April.

2 Likes

Played the weekend before thanksgving and thought the course was pretty good all in all. I didn’t see the unplayable soggy fairways that were mentioned a few weeks ago in this thread. Agreed that the greens were in amazing shape.

I don’t know how I am supposed to get out there anymore though. Now that you can make a tee time more than 7 days in advance for the regular rate (which with dynamic pricing is $$$$) everything is taken before the links card rate becomes available (which is still $$$).

Ya - I played a day or two after that was posted, and aside from the usual odd patch of soggyness, it was totally fine. Definitely not “unplayable”.

To your second point… right?! I’ve been really frustrated with their booking model lately. A couple things I’ve experienced:

1. On a week night a couple weeks ago, they had almost two hours straight of tee times open from 3-5 pm. I knew I couldn’t book via the app, but showed up assuming I’d be let out with an entirely empty sheet to play 9. They said the “system wouldn’t let them put a single out”, and asked if I could call a friend to join me :man_facepalming:t3:. To be fair, they were cool about it and offered me a bucket of balls, and then when I walked away someone inside must have recognized me and got me sorted and out to play. The people in the shop are almost all really good people, I think they’re just getting some questionable orders from the management group that operates it.

2. The prices have gotten crazy. The other day I saw a single spot with a non-resident/links rate of $144! Baylands is my jam, but that’s absolutely crazy pants. I just spent the last few days in Bandon, first round was $150 (second $50)…

3 Likes

I mean I see why they charge what they do now, since the course has been jam packed all year. So good for them I guess (not that the course will see any of the money, as I’m sure they’re stilling paying off the reno). But its frustrating to remember playing my favorite local course for sooooo much less last year and not having to jump through such crazy hoops just to get a tee time.