Roll Call: Bay Area Golfers

Best place to play near SLO? Monarch Dunes + Challenge course? Morro Bay? Avila Beach? Likely going to pop in somewhere on the way back from SoCal next month. Previously played La Purisima, likely further south than I’m looking since wife will be hanging with a friend in SLO and dropping me off/picking me up

Monarch Dunes is the gem, if you only have one round play Monarch. Super fun. Cypress Ridge is fun but I don’t remember it much. Morro bay is fun, beautiful but kinda simple, front 9 has awesome holes (9 is by far the best hole, especially at sunset) but pace of play can be a challenge. If you can make it up to paso, hunter ranch is also great.
Dairy creek is a decent 9 hole course. Avoid Chalk mountain. Don’t bother with blacklake

I’ve never played Avila Beach but heard it’s okay, inland 9 isn’t as good as waterfront 9

3 Likes

Open spot at Olympic Club Ocean course tomorrow at 2:15. Should be able to fit in 18. Guest fee is $125. May make it slightly earlier (still after 1pm if it opens up).

12 Likes

Damn, I would love to if I didn’t have a 4 week old :slight_smile: If you ever have an opening again, please let us know!!

5 Likes

Just saw this about a Member For A Day at TPC Stonebrae TPC Stonebrae CC - Golf Moose.

BTW, would appreciate it if I could get some follows for golfthebay.info on facebook and/or Twitter. Not sure what’s going to become of it but I have to start somewhere. Thanks.

1 Like

Hey, y’all. Many of you participated in last year’s NorCal NIT Qualifier, Chunks at the Chuck, in Alameda. We’re looking to run it back in 2022, likely in March again!

Posted a thread today to get the ball rolling. Updates will be made there. If you’re interested in joining the Flock for a day out at Corica Park, instructions are found here: 2022 Chunks at the Chuck, Proposal for THE Northern California NIT Qualifier

6 Likes

Was this spot filled by any of you snapperheads? Show yourself. We demand a review.

1 Like

Unfortunately no takers this time. Fun afternoon despite not playing exceptional. Finished in about 3:50 so was able to get the full 18 in. With the days about to be much shorter there’s probably going to be less guest tee times available but might have another opening in the next week or so.

6 Likes

Introducing myself - Lived in Bay Area for last 8 years, Oakland for 4.

9 times out of 10 I’m playing Corica South, but happy to travel for some new experiences, there are a handful in the Bay I haven’t hit yet. North course is fun as well, would’ve been fun if it opened a little earlier this year.

Looking forward to seeing you out there, hit me up if you want to coordinate some play.

Cheers,
Shane

15 Likes

Good to meet you, Shane.

-Shane

11 Likes

Insert Spider-Man pointing at Spider-Man gif

7 Likes

What’s up Shane.

Your thoughts on the 18th at Chabot, please? For the record.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Can’t take the bait, haven’t played chabot.

Tilden has some holes I’d like a word with, though.

1 Like

I just read about the par 6 at Chabot and now I’m thinking of trying to play there Sunday lol

It’s certainly something. Easily the worst hole I’ve ever played.

3 Likes

I know some people like Chabot, and there are some holes that are not awful, but as bad as 18 is, there are plenty of other holes there that are real bad, too.

Like the back to back par 5s on the front that are identical for example? Down the hill drive, ridiculous steep uphill approach. repeat. I birdied both of them and still hate them they’re that bad,

It’s a piece of land that shouldn’t be a golf course…period.

3 Likes

Literally the two holes I think about (negatively) when folks suggest playing.

1 Like

This sounds so bad I feel that I need to experience it just to be in on the joke

3 Likes