Refuge Book Club: Killers of the Flower Moon Date, September 20th

we’re talking wine and 'shine!

1 Like

“The next totalitarian state will have candy.” - @Sarah

6 Likes

Really enjoyed the conversation, everyone. Great book, looking forward to the next one. Nice to meet you all!

6 Likes

Agreed, thanks everyone! Excited for the next one.

5 Likes

Thanks everyone for the great conversation. Again, blown away by the intelligence and insightfulness of this golf adjacent crew. To actually discuss the book is impressive for a book club!

As for next book, stemming from the Daniel Day Lewis kick I’ve been on as of late, the selection is The The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton.

As a staple in English Lit this ought to be an easy find and is free on apple reader for those so inclined. Given that, we’re thinking 3 weeks from now for next discussion. And for suggestions on Daniel Day Lewis movies available on Canadian Netflix, hit up my DMs.

7 Likes

So much fun to push myself to read something that would never cross my radar otherwise. Appreciate everyone’s contributions towards another crazy good discussion. Look forward to the next as always.

7 Likes

For those interested – looks like a Austerlitz docudrama was made in 2015 by a German filmmaker.

5 Likes

When is the date to discuss, @Sarah? I see a $0.99 version of the book on Kindle, and this has been something I meant to read a long time ago. Would love to read and join …

1 Like

We thought three weeks from our last one which would mean June 12th. I think that’s still flexible at this point though. Likely will firm up a date closer. Would be great to have you join!

1 Like

My copy just arrived and pretty sure it’s a bootleg version, huge pages and what looks like a homemade “copyright” page that jumps straight to the prose

4 Likes

Age of Innocence bootleg?? There’s a lesson here :thinking:

1 Like

looks similar to my copy of The Good Soldier, which was printed on 8" x 11" paper glued together

If that’s a college student trying to avoid lighting money on fire in the name of school bookstores I’m v in

1 Like

The book is likely in the public domain. I’m no lawyer like seemingly everyone else on this board, but pretty these DIY print jobs come with the territory.

2 Likes

I’m totally cool with it, just thought it was funny when I opened it up. Brings back a really good memory. Before our honeymoon to Thailand and Laos, my wife’s boss gave us a copy of A Dragon Apparent, a British observer’s travelogue through French colonial Indo-China in the late 1940s. Awesome book, JFK and LBJ probably should have read it before stumblef*cking into war.

I left it on the public bus we took on a white-knuckle journey across Laos, and was crushed. We found a cellophane-wrapped copy in the Vientiane airport. Super pumped. We open it up, and it’s VERY bootleg. Construction-quality paper, misaligned typesetting, no copyright page.

Which, given the subject matter of the book, fair enough. Cool with the hustle, and was fun to share the story when returning the book to her boss.

3 Likes

copyright generally (with some exceptions) lasts 70 years post-death of author

*not a lawyer, but work in publishing

Wharton died in 1937 – so cleared the timeline there and the original copyright was 1920.

So–have at it:

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Age_of_Innocence

2 Likes

I picked up so many books like this while travelling in SE Asia. The best example was probably a Bill Bryson book missing a few pages because the original had a folded page when it was photocopied.

1 Like

Love me a Bill Bryson tale

That’s the only one I have.

I remember buying a book like that, I think it was Fathers and Sons by Turgenev. Enormous pages with terrible font. Also the translation was like someone threw the original Russian into Google translate and let Jesus take the wheel.