Refuge Book Club: Killers of the Flower Moon Date, September 20th

Excited to read this one! I feel like I read it in high school but who could say? I went to bad public schools in Arizona where literacy was optional.

1 Like

Any thoughts on timing for this one? I definitely need at a least another week to finish.

I need time- a classic case of too many golf trips

1 Like

Me too! I can run to the library today at lunch, just got through the first glut of grading and have my evenings back.

Which reminds me, I’m teaching my course on America 1877-1920 this semester. Is there any interest in joining in a book club meeting where we discuss one of the books my students are reading? I’ve attached a screen shot of the reading list, we’ve already read the McMath book on Populism (least interesting of the three). The Moore book on Cowboys is fantastic and I assign it every time I teach this class. The Sammons book on the Rattlers is a wild card as I’ve never read it.

4 Likes

I’d be down to follow along with this portion of your class, as long as I don’t have to be tested at the end…those days are long behind me.

Yeah, I would read the Cowboys book, if I could get it.

I’ve had Catch 22 on hold from my library for over a month, so I wouldn’t mind a little more time for that one to show up.

1 Like

Finally got around to ordering mine today so no complaints from me on having time to get through it.

1 Like

Finally got a copy of Catch 22 from the library, so I would be ready next week or anytime after

1 Like

Any appetite to put Catch 22 on the schedule? Would love to discuss but also happy for us to just put something lighter in the cue and discuss that…

Feel like this one may have sucked the life force out of this group :joy: It definitely falls into the “glad i read it, but a grind” category for me

2 Likes

How does 11/16 look for everyone?

I was wondering if it was just me. Actually, I’m in the “I’m a quarter of the way through and thinking about giving up and switching to another book” category.

Sorry - I feel like it’s largely on me! I’ve been a bit distracted lately and haven’t had a chance to dive in!

I’ve always felt like Catch-22 was a book that lived more in the cultural imagination than in real experience. It has this place where people tend to think it’s a funny/irreverent book all the way through, but I’ve never found it all that enjoyable, personally. In my mind it’s kinda of like a lesser version of Vonnegut. At least in terms of the anti-war books with numbers in the title, Slaughterhouse 5 > Catch-22

1 Like

Catch-22 made its way onto the list for my “in person” book club as our annual classic read. I broke my personal rule of doing the TV/Movie (Hulu Series for this one for me) and that helped me digest it a bit.

Definitely open to whatever works for this one … picking a date and committing or finding one more lighter fun chat pre-holidays are both good for me.

Regardless… let’s recommit and build out 2023 for some quality chats!!

1 Like

A great way of putting it

I feel like I enjoyed the first quarter quite a bit and it’s starting to just get really repetitive. I’m probably 75% of the way through and also in the “thinking about giving up” category. I’ll soldier on and be ready for the 16th!

Yeah, I read it awhile back - maybe in high school? - and I’m sure a re-read would be useful but I haven’t even considered it. You guys should discuss it and then nominate another book I will read!

Yeah I got Vonnegut and Dos Passos vibes

I can’t do the 16th unfortunately. Maybe it would be useful to get a count of how many people have finished or plan to finish to see if we should meet?

1 Like
  • I’m finished
  • I plan to finish and want to have a discussion
  • Stop trying to make Catch-22 happen

0 voters