Philadelphia

Completely new to the area, yup. Lot of exploring to do - very excited and will take recommendations from anyone! Really appreciate the invite - will definitely be hitting you up to play this year!

New to the area as well and putting this out there for whoever wants to get out once the weather warms up!

Anyone ever played the Mercer Oaks courses? I had played the West a few years back and remember liking it but had never tried the east. Made the dumb decision of squeezing 9 in on the east recently when it was 38 and howling so I shot a million but the course seems fantastic. Was in relatively great condition, even good sand which is rare this year and I loved the layout. Excited to check out the back and hopefully not shoot a million due to not being able to feel my fingers.

2 Likes

Sure, always looking for people to play with. Where are you located?

I’ve played one of the Mercer oaks ones. Can’t remember if it was east or west though! Also enjoyed the Mercer county course Mountain View.

1 Like

Fan of Mountain View as well (though I always have to chuckle at the name. What mountain??) and it’s super close to me. Gets pricey for what you get in the summer but it’s a great fall 9 hole evening value.

The 4th Mercer County course, Princeton Country Club, is only a last resorter IMO. The name would imply an exclusive, old, honorable club with ties to one of the finest institutions of learning in the country. It is anything but. The front 9 isn’t bad but the back is shoe-horned into a small, weirdly shaped piece of property that sits below a creek and thus is constantly flooded and in bad condition. Couple that with the overgrown tree scene back there and it just leaves a bad taste every time.

The Mercer Oaks duo though? Bueno

Bucks County!

1 Like

Spot on with the Mercer County Courses. Oaks West didn’t look so hot over the summer but I figure they’ll get it back into shape.

For those on the PA/NJ border, I can also recommend Heron Glen. Always in great shape and a pretty fun layout with five par 5’s and five par 3’s.

1 Like

I used to play Mercer Oaks almost everyday before i joined my club. I’m a fan of the East layout especially when it is windy, except for the 17th hole because it just doesn’t fit the rest of the course, you play 16 wide open holes and get to the 17th and its like a bowling alley (good green complex though)

West course they have been having trouble with in the summers especially 2 summers ago when they lost all the fairways and some of the greens due to water boiling the roots of the grass. West is usually the packed course on the weekends but you can usually get on the East course relatively easy.

Always happy to host at my club as well, anyone who wants to feel free to shoot me a DM

3 Likes

Ditto to what @Craigstands said - happy to host/have refugees out at my club too in Burlington.

2 Likes

I’m in Chester County just west of Philly in Kennett Square. Always down to play whenever the timing works out. Heron Glen’s been on my list for a little bit now…

1 Like

Totally agree, Princeton was brutal. Went to school and worked in the area for about 7 years. Always left the course asking myself why do you have to be such a cheap bastard, should have paid the money and played Mercer.

I played Mercer Oaks often when I lived in Princeton. Fun course. I often played as a single and male playing partners were always friendly. I also played Mountain View a lot, especially on weekdays when it wasn’t so crowded.

Hey all! Just joined the Nest a few weeks ago and wanted to introduce myself. I’ve been living in the city for about two years but between the working at the hospital and the birth of my first son I haven’t met too many people who play golf. I’ve played Scotland Run and Ballamor. Liked them both. I used to play Hartefeld National frequently when my dad was a member but he’s now down in HHI. Before my son I was down to a 6. Now I’m running around an 8 and depending on the day I can still play to a 6, but also a 12. Such is fatherhood. Anyway, I’d love to meet up and get a round or range session in as it warms up. I’m located in the city but don’t mind a drive to meet up. Cheers and looking forward to meeting you all.

6 Likes

Welcome!!

Hoping that we can get some Philly area meetups on the calendar this year.

I’m a member at Burlington CC in NJ - only about 25-30 minute drive out of center city - would be happy to host you (or any refugees). I play year round (though sat out this weekend - temps in the 20s at 9 am with only part sun and 15-20 MPH winds = no go lol).

6 Likes

Thoroughly agree with you. Hopefully we have enough local refugees to make this happen at least a few times this year.

I work at Wilmington CC in Wilmington, DE (hosting the 2022 BMW Championship, so that’s utterly CRAZY still) and also at Inniscrone GC in Avondale, PA. Can’t get any players on with me at Wilmington, they’re incredibly strict with employee play, but I’m sure we can plan for something at Inniscrone!

3 Likes

I’m in for a meet up or two :+1:

1 Like

@ChickPhilA @tenthousanddays @MikeRevak thanks for the responses! Looking forward to meeting you all. Glad there is a group of us around the city!

1 Like

All in like Kokrak for a Liberty Bell meetup in 2021

2 Likes

I have a meeting on Friday with our head pro and going to see how I can do an “event” that’s not during the week. But also I think we could totally use like some kind of google sheet weekend sign up to just play around in smaller groups too. Like who can play/host that weekend and slots to “sign up” for or something.

Open to suggestions, but there is so much good golf around these parts, we just have to get some stuff goin’!

1 Like