Philadelphia

I like what I’m reading.

3 Likes

How’s the conditioning over at Inniscrone right now? Played it not too long ago and it seemed Covid had left it’s mark on some of the upkeep. Would be interested to know if it was a course that saw the boom in play many did or if it’s out there enough that not as many people came around to play.

Conditions are good, but you can definitely tell that we saw more rounds in 2020 than we have in years. The two biggest issues are tee boxes getting chunked up/not being able to get the grass growing fast enough and then poor green repair by the players. It’s tough. The bones of the course and the layout is still a ton of fun, but there’s a lot of instances where we look at an issue like quality of the greens and realize that we could alleviate most of the issue if the players would repair a divot or two every time they were on the green.

So it’s a tough situation, I know the course could certainly use some extra staffing and manpower to help get conditions right, but because it’s run by the township, there’s a lot of kickback on those requests.

2 Likes

Thanks for the insight, I agree I love the layout and think the course offers a lot of fun challenges and variety between some of the open holes and tighter woodsy holes. Hopefully more folks will leave the course better than they found it in 2021!

Let’s do it!!!

Here’s a very rough start of an idea - open to feedback/improvements/changes

If you wanna play with some refugees in the area, propose a date, a course, who’s hosting (if it’s private obis, or if public who’s going to secure tee times), a notes section (to put a deadline to sign up, any other info), how many total spots (including host) and then spots for as many people.

Like I said - this is ROUGH draft. But f it, let’s get something going for the spring time (or any “balmy” winter days…I’ll play in this cold if it’s mostly sunny and no wind/rain/snow actually going on lol)

8 Likes

@ChickPhilA Looks like we’ve got a starting point!! I see what some other regions and areas are doing with events and meet-ups and I know that we can do something similar and just as good. I think we’ll likely just have some slow build-up until this weather breaks for us but I don’t see any reason why we can’t do what the other regions are doing!

Hell, maybe we can even do a little point system, track where people finish, have a playoff or something for an annual Best Refugee in Philly?? Possibilities are ENDLESS as long as we have some engaged people that want to get together, enjoy this wonderfully frustrating game and take part in some great interactions.

3 Likes

NYC metro area did a match play bracket last year and I think that is easily doable here too. Whoever is interested sign up, we make the bracket. People play their matches by certain time, go to next round, crown a winner at end of season.

Could do points based match play too so maybe everyone plays 3 matches and accumulates points, then it goes to “sudden death” matches from there over the season.

2 Likes

Big supporter of this idea. Love to have some friendly competition.

And of course I’m always open to getting a random round in, competition aside. Especially early in the year when I know my game will be rusty.

2 Likes

I threw in a potential idea for one of my personal faves where I should be able to get us all resident rates at least if not arrange an “outing” if there’s enough interest. Date is flexible but thinking some kind of season kickoff type thing. The facility at Makefield Highlands would be great for grabbing a bite, etc after but that will probably still be off the table in March.

3 Likes

Makefield does have a great patio area for before/after food time. Oh and a fantastic course setup.

1 Like

Would love to have some sort of prize for making par or better on 18! Not an easy feat.

3 Likes

For those interested in joining the WhatssApp Liberty Bell (Philadelphia) group chat I’ll post the link. Feel free to join and introduce yourself and look forward to getting some meetups info the calendar this year. Thank you @ChickPhilA for creating the google sheet!

4 Likes

Love this @ChickPhilA, that 32 degrees is scaring me away this weekend but definitely want to get out to BCC. Really like the idea of what the sheets could become if we all started to use it.

1 Like

Yah I had the this weekend thing as a “example” because unless those winds go to 5 Mph or less I am NOT golfing this weekend. I’m crazy, but not THAT crazy.

1 Like

Thought the Philly folks would be interested in some of the changes going on at Jeffersonville. I took these last week. Will be out there documenting changes pretty much every week from here through the spring.

For those who know the course well, this is a big project improving No. 5. It will also have major benefits on No. 6.

• Removing large tree left side of 5 fairway
  • Restoring bunkers on left side of 5 fairway which have changed a ton over time
  • Removing bunker short-left of the green
  • Moving greenside right bunker “back” to be more middle of green (currently front-right)
  • Tree removal on left side of 6 fairway (at the dogleg)

more to come!

22 Likes

On this same note, have been talking casually with @Craigstands about figuring something out for this spring or summer. I think we can make it happen.

5 Likes

NY Metro has assembled a competition committee to organize a few events this year, and hoping one is where we can get some Liberty Bell vs. NY Metro matches :slight_smile: More to come!

3 Likes

Along the lines of this, I think another idea would be if we would pick a centrally located course and do some type of Birdie challenge.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Love J-ville; do you happen to know if Tyler Rae is still consulting on their projects?

Love the continued improvements they have done incrementally over the past decade.

1 Like