OATW Match Play - 2024 Edition - Knockout Bracket Looms

Pod 14 checking in - after a competitive front 9, @methridge took complete control and dominated @scuff 4 & 3.

4 Likes

Pod 13 do a three way match scheduled for noon on Sunday at Springfield CC with one spot open if anyone wants to join as a marker.

2 Likes

If the spot is still open early Saturday I should be able to play. Trying to plan a climbing trip but it’s pretty doubtful. I won’t know for sure until early Saturday. If anyone else speaks up 110% pass on me but if it’s still open then I will either circle back or maybe shoot me a DM.

Got a DM with an update for the last match for Pod 2.

@CinderellaStory beats @Racole212 1 up.

That means that @tanderson will be moving to the elimination round as the second person out of Pod 2!

2 Likes

:rotating_light: ALERT :rotating_light:

@smithburger and I are going to start digging into putting together the match play bracket over the next couple days so we can get that out to everyone ASAP so we can start scheduling knockouts.

Please hop in here and let us know if you have any matches scheduled or any matches that need to be reported from over the weekend.

You can see the current pod play standings on the sheet below.

4 Likes

Pod 5:
@papateeps
@UncleDrew
@Tigerific90
@jgolf1

Pod 15:
@GooseTrego
@BMass
@61FORE
@TKush614

Any matches played or scheduled that we may have missed?

1 Like

Friday, May 19, 9:30am. Office of the Dean of Golfers

In walks @Gobrownies09 “Sir, I’m reviewing the upcoming semester pods and one stands out…”

Dean @golf4miami “Is it a pod that golf will be completed, but turned in late? Shenanigans, tom foolery, birdies, nooners and shameless SIIICKKKK! yelling”

GoBrownies: Yes it does sir, it sounds like pod 11 sir.

Golf4Miami: Of course I was talking about pod 11 you fool!!! The time has come for that pod to come to an end…

Denison University, located in beautiful Granville was the location of finals for pod 11. After a long night of cramming every fact I could about the Donald Ross design and let me tell you, Professor Ross did not disappoint with this test.

I met up with @Albatrossity and immediately brews were cracked, (Pinehurst) No. 2 pencils were sharpened and the testing commenced.

A gentle handshake opener lead to me jump up 1. Hole 2 is where you are presenting with equally difficult choices (OB right, water left and just general length). Kincaid quickly deduced that selecting D(all of the above) was the wiser choice than out thinking the test and won hole 2. Then continued the streak going full tweet tweet with a birdie on 4 and a 5/4 on hole 8 to go up 2.

Hole 9, short essay question and Kincaid stumbled by simply writing ‘Magna Carta’ instead of a 3-4 sentence structure. I was 1 down going into the back 9.

The back 9 I continued strong, ticking off 3 straight hole wins with par, par, par and going up 2. Professor Ross then decided to make a hard pivot… By referencing material only those who showed up to his study hall sessions would get (wadddda dick!). Kincaid being the studious kind had attended these and rattled off 3 of his own straight hole victories (par, par, bogey) to put me down 1 with 3 holes to go. The maths were quickly not mathing as a victory of less than 1 would still move my opponent on(tie breakers) so it was time to go for broke, summer school was not an option.

Hole 16, tight shortish par 4. Driver, wedge put me below the hole with Kincaid above and to the right. His par putt burned the edge. Match Even.

Hole 17, thin to win baby. Due to a scantron error I ended up back of the green while Kincaid again had a par putt burn the edge. 1 up.

Hole 18. Denison University spread out below us along with the 18 green looming. Kincaid’s 2nd fell just short of the green and mine found the back left portion of the green. 1 putt later handshakes were exchanged and a diploma was handed to me.

I cannot say enough what a pleasure it was to play with @Albatrossity the guy is beyond a class act and can’t wait to run it back. Denison lives up to the hype and would make the trip there over Virtues any time.

11 Likes

Impressive, impressive report @skibum232.

Now, this is important. Did you win 1 up or 2 up on that 18th green?

2 Likes

2 up was what was ultimately settled on.

3 Likes

Well then congrats to you sir for escaping the pods play by the narrowest of margins!

@Albatrossity, stay tuned. Depending on news out of the other pods you may be earning an at large bid.

4 Likes

The fuck?!?
Narrator: he’s still salty about going 2-1 last year and missing out. He should’ve played better.

2 Likes

Probably due to our pod. Scheduling has been a nightmare for all of us.

2 Likes

You’ll have that. Was surprised it didn’t happen last year. Would think it’d happen more years than not.

2 Likes

Yeah. The selection committee is seeing some rough scheduling conditions across the state this year. As much as we don’t want to see it happen, it might happen.

Also, I haven’t brought this up to @smithburger yet, but I could see a scenario where this tournament moves to a one and done situation in years going forward. Not only would this allow for more than 64 participants but it could allow for more flexibility scheduling.

3 Likes

If we get away from pods, and straight into a bigger bracket, it could allow for double elimination too. End up in a lower bracket and then can play your way to the finals in there too. Reminds me of old school travel league baseball tournaments so parents don’t feel like crap driving 3 hours for a first game knockout of a weekend tournament.

9 Likes

Depending on the size of the bracket, double elimination might be tight on the schedule. The ideal obviously would still be to sort people into regions even if we went straight bracket only next year so that the early matches wouldn’t be too heavy of a lift travel wise.

4 Likes

As the only person who lives in the pod 5 region to play a match, I will graciously accept one of their spots in the next round

3 Likes

If we’re throwing out ideas, what if we did something in the Fall?

The weather at least here in SW Ohio is much better in Oct/Nov than Mar/Apr.

Could do pods in Fall then brackets in May of the next year for example?

Not nearly as seamless as doing it all in the same year but last few yrs, Mar/Apr have been the worst months of the year to play IMO. It’s still cold like January and February, but add in wind and rain.

3 Likes

Weather generally stunk early on, which was unfortunate. Made scheduling tougher. I feel like we are just now getting good golf weather again. :-1:

4 Likes

In Pod 5 the only official match I am aware of @UncleDrew defeated @Tigerific90 1up in 19 holes at Sylvania CC on 5/11. Was a tight match the whole way with @UncleDrew taking a 2up w/ 2 to play lead before I rallied to win the last 2. He was able to hit his approach on the 19th to about 4" after nearly dunking it. After he somehow scraped in that knee-knocker (joking it was conceded) I missed my 6’ par/net birdie putt to continue, thus giving him the victory. We had a great night of golf and it is always a pleasure to play with Drew. Still stings to lose that last hole after I hit the most majestic flighted driver that had to of carried at least 27-33 yards then roll another 80+. I thought that would be enough to intimidate Drew but like the true warrior he is he was able to overcome.

6 Likes