OATW Match Play - 2024 Edition - Rules post 1864 and in the spreadsheet

I believe we have a plan…I am playing one match on Saturday AM and we think there is gonna be a round-robin “death match” style free-for-all the next weekend (after Findlay) to finish up all the rest of our matches.

4 Likes

That was certainly one of the more pleasant walks I’ve had in awhile even though those bunkers chewed me up. I’ll echo @Rummygolf, @Palestracheco2 was a great host and a hell of a player. Also big shout out to our other competitor @Talented_Mr_Yipley Who was a great hang and whose push cart failed him almost immediately.

3 Likes

I lost to @McDickey yesterday afternoon 5&4 at Elks Run outside of Cincinnati. I did not bring enough of my game to overcome 10 strokes. The greens were in very good shape and surprisingly quick. Highlights: 0 lost golf balls between the two of us. Lowlights: I think I had only 2 GIR, one of which was after the match was over, and Adam 4-putted a par 3.

Pod 4 comes to the final match between @golf4miami and @McDickey

5 Likes

I didn’t bring my A game, but I brought a game.

4 Likes

Updated Pod 4 standings are below with one match between @McDickey and I remaning.

If I win, I’ll tie @Cramptcm and @OhioStateBrady on points but go through on the overall match tie breaker. If I lose or tie, then @OhioStateBrady goes through on that same tie breaker.

Either way, as it stands now @McDickey is already through as the top seed from our pod.

2 Likes

@Birdsong and I are playing our match tomorrow afternoon, and @tmck14 and I are playing our match Tuesday afternoon, so that’ll wrap up all of my matches.

3 Likes

@Ckroger and I got rained out for our match today. Hoping to get it in next Friday at OSU Gray.

That said @golf4miami & @smithburger given the particularly bad weather this spring would there be any thought of moving the 5/14 deadline for pod play?

4 Likes

jesus @McDickey do you keep a shovel and pick axe in your bag?

8 Likes

I just picture someone with this score going around like Jarmo Sandelin shooting guys with his putter.

1 Like

Yo @Creags thanks for bringing this up. After some back and forth with the competition committee Slugger White has authorized an extra week to get matches in for pod play. We want to give everyone an equal chance to get their matches in and as you said, the weather has been very hit or miss so far this spring.

We also have a few weeks built in here and there for stuff like this.

NEW POD PLAY DEADLINE WILL BE 5/22 FOR MATCHES

This will be a HARD cutoff though. No more pushing beyond that simply because we will need to start scheduling elimination matches right after. Also, if we happen to get all matches in early, then that’s just as good if not better.

8 Likes

@McDickey taking a selfie of @Cramptcm and I on the 14th. Ivy Hills apparently breeds killers.

Picture1

6 Likes

Thanks for this. I’ve had some personal stuff pop up that’s kept me out of town, off the course, and away from grinding over putts against @methridge and @Greenthumb

3 Likes

Two tiebreaker wins and big L wasn’t enough. Pod 4 is stacked

4 Likes

I will fully admit the HC struggles (or is that benefits?) from Ivy Hills being home, but we’ve witnessed the putter and know where the real issues are :slight_smile:

I will go forth and rep our pod well! Your deaths will be avenged by your killer.

1 Like

There were no winners out there today, but @joecline41 beat me 2up.

4 Likes

place-has-everything-bill-hader

Tops, whiffs, worms all over the greens, toe shanked drivers. A true pillow fight out there today. Congrats to @cwb19 and @Browcoww77 for moving on from pod 11. Make us proud.

3 Likes

Update from the weekend:

@Birdsong and I teed it up at Brown’s Run Saturday afternoon. I jumped out to an early lead winning the first two holes, but Todd stormed back, one putting holes 3-6, winning all of them, and flipping the script from 2 down to 2 up. I won holes 7 and 9, so despite halving only one hole, we made the turn all square tied.

The back nine revealed how tired I was (I’d played 18 already in the morning), and Todd’s swing started showing its rust, but his red-hot putter kept him in the game. Lots of bogeys from both of us, and we got to 17 tee with me being one down. I was licking my chops lining up my tee ball on a downwind par 5…and promptly hit a massive slice 20 yards OB. Todd made a routine par to close out the match 2&1.

Pretty sure being 0-2 means I won’t be getting out of pod play, but I’ll still give @tmck14 my best tomorrow afternoon (at Brown’s Run once again) and see if I can’t make things a little more interesting for figuring out who advances.

3 Likes

Shoutout to any and all that are 0-2 and still showing up to grind. Truly protecting the field.

11 Likes

Pod 5 - @Greenthumb v @PrincipalKnows

Location - Cincy Raynor

We couldn’t ask for a better afternoon walk thru the hills for our match. PK played the par 3s +1 and dunked it in for par after hitting into the cape from 100 yards out. A fun walk as PK won 3&2

Road hole showing out

27 Likes

That photo is making me drool.

1 Like