OATW Match Play - 2024 Edition - Knockout Bracket Looms

All you goons playing matches at Canterbury….please tell me you’re picking up a shirt or two. That’s an awesome logo.

6 Likes

I may or may not have visited the pro shop prior to the round to buy another QZip because I don’t have enough

5 Likes

Had this same thought, and the thought of 'if you need a fourth to fill the group, feel free to post that!"

2 Likes

All goons welcome

6 Likes

Thanks for the write up! Pod 11 is down to 1 match left and there is a very real chance we wind up with three players tying at 6 points which would be WILD.

3 Likes

If so, is tiebreaker #1 the overall match score?

1 Like

Correct. Since we could not use head to head to break a three way tie, it’ll come down to the column on the far right first.

If we wind up with a tie there between two players, then we will have to use head to head.

Also, with so many matches yet to be played, (MAKING NO PROMISES) there is still a chance at an at-large bid and I think someone who misses out on advancing with 6 points would be high on the list for an at-large.

2 Likes

6&5 win at minimum, good luck!

6 Likes

I’m 100% here for @clevelandgooner embracing the spoiler role, all due apologies to @joecline41 who is without a doubt the classiest of the class acts

5 Likes

Just texted @quicktempo that he’s going to see my best golf in about 25 years or a complete meltdown. The carb load dinner at Danny Boy’s the night before should help….I hope?

4 Likes

Come to Findlay event next Saturday and we can play our match?

3 Likes

I’m in a very similar situation. Depending on how the match between @McDickey and @Cramptcm goes today I’ll either be playing for my life or playing spoiler. Could easily go either way. Knowing I’m going to be in the last match of the pod play is a bit nerve wrecking.

1 Like

Not to mention it is most definitely going to be mushy and/or still raining on Saturday morning for these matches. As is my tradition, it rains the one weekend day I am lined up to golf and it will be beautiful the day that I cannot play golf.

3 Likes

Seriously. I’m way more geeked up for this than a chubby, 42yo balding father of 1 should be. But, here we are. I’m already telling myself all the match play tricks from high school—approach the 1st tee like you’re 3 down. Break the match into little mini matches. Really stuffing my brain with thoughts, since that always ends well.

6 Likes

This makes me so happy to hear and you’re not the first person to express this to me either. Exactly what I was hoping would happen by bringing this format to Ohio.

Already looking at ways to improve it for next year as well.

2 Likes

Wanted to provide some updates from POD 14. Last Saturday, we played the great Scarlet course at Ohio State. The matches ended in a true “its darker than our cameras make it appear” situation (see Photo). I felt like a scumbag bringing the boys to my home course and knocking the first approach shot to a foot but God had other plans than hospitality that day. Looking forward to the next stages of this thing.

Match results are as follows.
Nick: 3-0
Max: 2-1
Chris: 1-2
Brian: 0-3

5 Likes

deeply enters his process

2 Likes

Oh hot damn what an update!

These results have been added to the sheet. Congrats to @Palestracheco2 and @Rummygolf for moving on!

3 Likes

Want to shoutout my matchup with Chris because the 17th hole was spicy. I’m one up on him and he had the tee. It’s an uphill par 3 with no trouble besides a creek, but that was only 50 yards to carry so not really in play. Naturally, Chris tops it and dunks it in there, so he’s forced to re-tee. I hit a decent shot to the green side bunker, which I thought was a good enough shot to virtually close him out given the situation. Chris had other plans. In the pitch black (can see the ball for maybe the first 1/4 of its flight), I see Chris absolutely stripe his 3rd shot. We walk up there and it’s hole high, maybe 3 feet from the flag and he makes it for 4. I skull one that somehow ends up on the green, then lag it to 3 feet for a bogey putt. Missed it short somehow, so we’re tied going into 18. We probably spent a combined 10 minutes searching for balls on this hole in the pitch black, but I was able to close him out.

Great time with this pod and once again, thank you for hosting @Palestracheco2 !

3 Likes

Going to take a second to poke a couple pods.

@tmck14 and @Birdsong, please do what you can to get at least one match in somewhere with one of your pod mates.

Pod 8 - @evanjill, please inform your pod mates if you’re able to get any matches in.

@JakeFromStateFarm and @ChuckWoods - please reach out to your pod mates and try to schedule a match or two before this ends.

It’s looking more and more like we might not have to go to any at-large bids but we need at least a few matches played here to help determine who moves on a bit more fairly.

1 Like