OATW Match Play - 2024 Edition - Knockout Bracket Looms

Welcome. The roosts are regionalized subsets of the nest. We have lots of cool events planned. We are glad to have you! There is a sign up sheet for the roost somewhere around here lol!

2 Likes

Would you mind finding that for me :grimacing: I’m not familiar with the site and would love to join the Ohio one!

1 Like

@Rummygolf - the sign up for the roost is in the message I’m replying to here. Hope that helps!

Welcome aboard!

2 Likes

@Rummygolf

1 Like

Hell yeah - great work! This is great and definitely would be an incredible experience as I’ve been dying to see it. Thanks all!

Here’s the ohio against the world roost sign up sheet. I saw you signed up for the match play too.
Feel free to ask me roost questions.

1 Like

First answer: hell yes. Golf with strangers from the Internet is undefeated. Ages and abilities vary a lot, but everyone I’ve played with from this place has been great.

5 Likes

Afternoon everyone!

The sign up list is officially full at 64 participants. But please feel free to sign up on the waitlist in case we have people who need to drop out and/or one of the three people who haven’t paid yet decide they don’t want to participate.

I’ll be reaching out to the three who haven’t paid via DM in order to clear their spot ASAP so that @smithburger ans I can start working on organizing people into their pods for group play.

If anyone has any questions feel free to shoot us a DM.

10 Likes

My wife makes fun every time I tell her I am going to play golf, then I tell her with who. And she says, “Oh your internet friends.” Internet friends are the simplest, best form of friends @Rummygolf.

7 Likes

:rotating_light: Press Release :rotating_light:

Good Morning Match Play participants and all who are following along!

We’ve been approached by another NE Ohio club member who is on the record as being willing to host an elimination round. The course involved this time is the newest of the three we have on record for being available for our elimination rounds of what is quickly becoming a prestigious tournament. This one will likely be a round of 32 and potentially a round of 16 host site.

Built in 1992 by THE Faz it’s a high rated track that looks like an absolute treat: Sand Ridge Golf Club. A very cool flyover video of the course can be found here: Sand Ridge Golf Club | Chardon, OH • Drone Video - YouTube

As with all clubs hosting so far, a guest fee will be required to play.

When reached for comment about adding yet another top notch venue to the calendar @smithburger was heard mumbling, “Man it really does seem like the NE contingent of the Roost and this match play are really stepping up their game. We’ve got three courses in that area already committed and the closest to me that has committed is Moraine and I’ll never get to the Final to see that. Really is a bummer no Cincinnati spots are popping up.”

15 Likes

:rotating_light: Press Release :rotating_light:

Good Morning! We’ve got a dual news break here at Matchplay HQ!

First! A SW Ohio Roost Member has confirmed with us their willingness to host elimination round matches on their home course. Likely for round of 32 and 16 matches. This course is lauded as one of the more challenging courses in the Cincinnati area and was designed way back in 1902 by Tom Bendelow: Losantiville Country Club. With the rolling fairways and fast greens, this one is for sure going to be a challenge to our competitors.

For a full course flyover of LCC you can check out the YouTube playlist here: Losantiville Country Club - Hole 1 - YouTube

Second: The 16 pods for the group stage of the tournament are 99% solidified and I’m hopeful that we will get them announced so that people can start planning soon. A true keep an eye on this space situation.

“It really is great to see all these club members coming forward and being willing to share their home courses with the Roost and those participating in THE Ohio State Matchplay,” said @golf4miami. “I’ll likely never get to see any of them as I’ll be eliminated long before I have the chance, but it really is heartwarming to know that other people will get the chance to play these great venues.”

7 Likes

The shape of #1 makes it seem like a billion miles long.

Also, gonna have night sweats about that one if I make it. Does not look like a cut friendly hole. :laughing:

1 Like

The course is not cut friendly, especially on the back.

3 Likes

Not going to lie, when I saw hole #1 followed immediately by that long par 3 hole #2 I got the sinking feeling that if I ever played this course in a match I’d be down 2 after 2.

2 Likes

9 looks like an absolute menace for a lefty who plays a cut.

Every time I see a moderate length course that plays tough, I definitely don’t look forward to investigating what the par 3’s look like. :joy:

3 Likes

Need these pods asap, I want to schedule my first match for this weekend. The weather looks A+.

9 Likes

I have an admission. Despite mostly being a single digit capper now and playing golf for years I have no idea what a draw, fade or cut is without looking at the bottom of my driver.

¯\(ツ)

3 Likes

9 was renovated last year and it’s a totally different hole now.

2 Likes

Please say the words, “tree removal project”.

3 Likes