OATW Match Play - 2024 Edition - Rules post 1864 and in the spreadsheet

I moved to Ohio last summer and have been looking for an opportunity to #getinvolved.

I’m excited for this!

13 Likes

Make sure you sign for the roost!

4 Likes
6 Likes

Also joins the OATW and Cincy Strapped whats app groups. I don’t know how to link them. They are in the Ohio Roll call thread somewhere.

2 Likes

Howdy folks! Just wanted to put this out there. As a OATW roost member living in WNY, if ya’ll are open to the idea of having a WNY/WPA pod for the matchplay, sign me up!

3 Likes

We’ve got three people signed up in Erie, PA already and one from Pittsburgh. My thought process on this has been that anyone who is part of the Roost is more than welcome to take part. You might just have a bit more driving to do than those are are taking part in this tournament from inside the state.

I would say if you have a pod of 4 ready to go, then that might make scheduling a little easier. But even if you don’t, I don’t see a reason to keep you from playing.

2 Likes

Is it bad form to randomly start tagging people in drive by’s? I see some conspicuous absences on here, but don’t wanna put guis on the spot.

1 Like

I genuinely thing a lot of people don’t think to come here!

1 Like

Shoooooot. I say ruffle some feathers.

2 Likes

It’d be nice to see @paramoc, but I don’t want to play him

1 Like

I’ll gladly volunteer as tribute to play matches in NWPA if need be. Although wings at Park Tavern after will be the bet for all matches.

2 Likes

Awesome! Let’s do it then! I don’t mind driving either, even if I do get my brains kicked in.

EDIT: All Signed up and paid

2 Likes

NO ONE wants to play him.

:rotating_light: PRESS RELEASE :rotating_light:

More breaking news here at THE Ohio Matchplay HQ.

A second member of another prestigious club, this time in NE Ohio has reached out to our team to let us know they would be more than willing to host an elimination round of our tournament at their club. This club has hosted the US Open, The PGA Championship, and the US Am along with both the Senior US Open and PGA. As such, it was decided that this venue will likely host a “Regional Final” match.

The venue? Canterbury Golf Club. Which is very highly rated by Golf Digest and you can see why in their write up: https://www.golfdigest.com/story/canterbury-golf-club

As with the Final at Moraine a guest fee will be required to play this round.

“As the field has fleshed out it’s become clear that we were going to need a top tier venue for a later round in NE Ohio, and with Canterbury GC now on offer I think we’ve found it,” said @jgolf1 when reached for comment on the matter. “It’s exactly this kind of high quality course that really makes me want to uproot myself from Findlay and move closer to one of the big three cities.”

15 Likes

I was paired with him my first varsity tournament. It was my sophomore year (his senior), I’d never heard of him, we were playing Scioto and has was really nice after my first tee duck hook, so I thought I’d chat with him a bit…
Me: I heard you guys did pretty well at states last year?
Steve: Yeah, we finished second
Me: Wow! How did you play?
Steve (rather coldly): I won

proceeds to get waxed by 20+

3 Likes

He’s a man amongst boys. Daughter is a stick too.

4 Likes

This is no place for true sticks. Vanity caps only.

3 Likes

Got some serious flashbacks from this to my first varsity golf match when I went up against one Jason Kokrak when I was a 100lb (ish) 14 year old. Homeboy had set the scoring record at the state championships the year before and would go on to win another one later that year.

Jay was a junior golf demi-God and any guy around that age from the greater Youngstown area has PTSD from playing him.

2 Likes

I shot 34-49-35 in the same week in high school.

4 Likes

Hello friends (we’re in Nantz szn). I’ve been listening to the NLU pod for about 1.5 years and have recently caught up on some of their content -was planning a trip to NC and got hooked on Tourist Sauce. Have heard the Neat and this message board mentioned on the pod/Twitter and wanted to hear more about it, particularly how people have seen it help them find golf community, particularly in Columbus. What is the roost compared to the nest? Have you found new golf buddies through here? Are most people my age (25) or older? Would love to hear more

6 Likes