North Star Shootout 5 - September 8, 2024 (NSU Roost Major)

Hello, friends…

You’ve waited long enough for this announcement. The Shootout is back and better than ever. And for the first time, it will be returning to its rightful place…

WHAT: North Star Shootout 5 (Roost Major/NIT Qualifier)
WHEN: Sunday, September 8
WHERE: Keller Golf Course, Maplewood, MN
WHO: Up to 72 sickos
FORMAT: 36 holes (AM/PM Shotgun) - Gross/Net Stableford (-1/0/1/2/4/8)
COST: $200-250 depending on numbers

Details
You read that correctly - the Shootout is back at Keller; this time with the course to ourselves. Format will be AM/PM shotguns with mixed tees and tee changes between rounds (I’m going to ask about pin changes but let’s not get our hopes up there). For any of the uninitiated, Keller is generally held by NSU as the Best Value Public Course in the Twin Cities, if not the entire state. Scoring will modified Stableford with both Net and Gross divisions:

Double or worse: -1
Bogey: 0
Par: 1
Birdie: 2
Eagle: 4
Albatross: 8

Charity
For this edition, we will be partnering with Children’s Cancer Research Fund. CCRF has been assisting families and funding lifesaving research for childhood cancers since 1981. As of 2022, 81% of donations go directly to funding treatments and research; 14% goes to fundraising, and 5% goes to management. On average, every dollar donated results in $18 in research funding due to CCRF’s investment in “seed grants” which allow researchers to prove out their theories and in turn secure larger grants.

NIT Qualifier
Gross and Net champions will be awarded a berth to the 2024 Nest Invitational Tournament, taking place at Dobson Ranch Golf Club in Mesa, AZ; October 24-26. Only Nest members are eligible to attend the NIT.

Registration
We are kicking the NSS5 thread off the old-fashioned way - with an unofficial spreadsheet. Official regsitration will be set up and posted as soon as we work out some financial stuff on the front end.

24 Likes

We are SO FUCKING BACK. Shout out Nanski for being more creative then me on the logo here, and shout out me for remembering my web accessibility class back in college to refine the logo

5 Likes

Can we decide that this is the tree on 4 and not 17 so I can like it?

4 Likes

It is the tree on 4

2 Likes

The tree on 17 kicks ass, man

2 Likes

This is the tree on 4 and it was almost literally traced from a photograph

2 Likes

It could, in a different era

I don’t get it, its not even in the way

2 Likes

Can fly there and back on good ol SW for $150… hmmm… I shall put my name if we’re accepting out of staters/roosters.

3 Likes

We would absolutely love to have you up here

2 Likes

Pull my leg I shall book some tickets

2 Likes

My wife is not going to be happy with me being gone the weekend before for the Lyle Cran at Stillwater CC and then this the following weekend but I’m going to do my damndest to be there!

2 Likes

The Lyle Cran is the best tournament in the state.

1 Like

Best format, price and organization I’ve played in. I also just really enjoy that course. Sadly, if the wife makes me choose one or the other, the Lyle Cran will probably be the one I pick.

1 Like

2 Likes

Going to be really tough to convince my wife after our Labor Day tourney. We shall see though

But have you played in the North Star Shootout at Keller?

3 Likes

Assuming neither kid has the launch codes to ruin my weekend, I will this year to validate this statement, but I stand by it regardless. The only bad thing anyone can say about the Lyle Cran is the price increased before the price of a costco hot dog did. But still, $135 for 45 holes and straight up match play is tough to beat.

3 Likes

That is a very lucrative price. Unfortunately we would need about 110 players at the Shootout to get the price down there, and I just don’t think that’s gonna happen.

1 Like

Keller is the big draw and is an incredible get by you guys. The price you listed makes perfect sense to me! Really stoked to see it shine for this as I’m sure it did previously.

4 Likes