NLU Texas Cup (Formerly Bucc-ees Cup) Pine Dunes June 5/6 2021

I have a set I can bring, more than happy to delegate the actual cooking to anyone who wants to do it though.

I also have a decent sized cooler I’m planning bringing that we can load up with community beers and such.

1 Like

The DFW team would love to host the cookout for all participants. We will definitely not bring specifically labeled meat that is for DFW teams and non-DFW teams. Those for the other teams definitely won’t have anything that will wreck your insides. No chance of this event going full 2021 Walker Cup.

4 Likes

It sounds like we need to add another tab to the signup sheet…

The signup sheet has a lot of moving parts to say the least.

2 Likes

That’s awesome. I will bring some homegrown non-salmonella eggs, just to fulfill backyard chicken stereotypes about Team Atx/SA.

2 Likes

On Thursday, I got out to Pine Dunes for the first time and played 36. Figured some of this might be helpful for you all to see prior to the event. I thought the course was fun, fair and yet still challenging. If you’re in good position off the tee, scoring chances are really good out there with the big green sizes. I especially enjoyed the par-5’s. Some of the Par 4’s on the back 9 played into the wind and made them play much longer than the 396 type yardages the card says. Don’t get fooled by <400 yard par 4’s out there if the wind is present.

Also, the par-5 18th is a phenomenal finishing hole… especially for an event like this. I have the ability to poke it about 310-320 off the tee and if you catch a good one like that, even from the blue tees (one up from the tips), and you take the right angle across the pond, you could leave yourself with <120 in to give yourself a pretty good look at eagle.

As others have said, if you’re playing well, low scores are very much in play here. I was surprised with how well I hit the ball off the tee with consistency and was able to turn that into some low numbers. You guys are going to have an absolute blast.

Here’s some shots from the day…

Looking down 18 upon arrival that morning…

The tee ball on 1 where nerves will inevitably be in play. A nice 230-250 soft draw for a righty is absolutely the play here.

Really fun split fairway par-5 on the front. A good drive over the junk from the blues will clear it if you carry it 240+ I’d guess. If you do, you’ll likely have sub 200 in and it’s by far the better angle than going out right. Should make for a fantastic match play hole.

Long par-3. I think it measured about 215 with the pin back from playing the blue tees. To be fair, it played downwind and of course downhill. Pretty hole.

Another great par-5 on the back 9 that requires a lot of thought about what to hit off the tee and how aggressive to get. Partners will really have to work together well on strategy for this hole.

And finally, a look up the 18th. Big, big fan of this finishing hole.

8 Likes

Great stuff! Did you walk or how do you assess walkability?

2 Likes

9 Likes

Ha. I was blessed with a 6’5" frame so I’m glad I get to put it to good use. Luckily yesterday, it was going 300+ in the right direction. But I can’t always enjoy that luxury.

3 Likes

As far as walkability goes, I feel like it’s very friendly for that. Not much elevation changes overall. Most tee boxes are a short walk from the prior green.

4 Likes

It’s most definitely walkable.

1 Like

But it’s gonna be hot AF and east-texas muggy, and we’re gonna be drinking soooooooooo …

3 Likes

Are we walking? I’ll bring my push cart if so.

1 Like

Should have taken notes
Top image should be 11
2nd image should be 10 (in fairway)

I’m normally a big fan of walking, but with it being pretty warm and playing 36 holes, I’d think carts would help manage fatigue / improve quality of play.

4 Likes

Yes, I am usually a walker, but for 72 holes in 48 hours in East Texas humidity, I will be riding…

4 Likes

10 plays so, so difficult. Ever so slightly uphill. Tough visual with lots of mounding, and that single front bunker just fucks with your comfort level on the approach. For a pretty wide open hole, it’s had my number most times. Interestingly, for how visually imposing 11 is, its played markedly easier during my experience.

Can’t WAIT.

1 Like

Whatever happens on Saturday, it may be good to ‘walk it off’ on Sunday during singles.

2 Likes

Haahahahaha like we’ll be in ANY shape to walk on Sunday morning. I hope I can get the ball to stay on the tee!

Team Houston got a little warm up in this morning at Gus. I’d say we are “match play” ready :sweat_smile:. Good play, great company, and an even better pace!

3 Likes