Big Cedar - Refugee Meetup - Official Thread- In Memoriam to all Trees - Part Deux (coming 2022?)

Getting very excited for this and I’ve got the hard confirm that I’m in… as long as the rona doesn’t buck its head to much again in the fall.

2 Likes

Checked the google doc and I’m 100% a sicko - anytime Hiland is an option I’m all for it.

2 Likes

Well, crap. Not sure how I missed this when originally posted. As a midwest gui I’d hate to miss a meetup but that’s what I get.

Signed up as an alternate!

3 Likes

When we get closer and i get my travel figured out. We’ll see if I can set it up.

1 Like

Hi All - I’ve earmarked about 2 dozen 6-8 Bedroom houses in Hollister with Free Cancellation. I feel no motivation to make any moves due to the volume! That said, the ones with fire-pits and or game/theater rooms are rising to the top!

Consider this my “every 3 week” update. Hope everyone is well!

2 Likes

This one looks sick. Bit pricey but looks cool:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/34757218?location=Hollister%2C%20MO%2C%20United%20States&check_in=2020-10-23&check_out=2020-10-25&source_impression_id=p3_1590001315_giLBkEIhE3WlV%2FUV&guests=1&adults=1

2 Likes

We can’t make reservations, but we should plan on a Friday or Saturday night dinner at Lamberts in Ozark

Throwed rolls!!!

3 Likes

I always thought it should be “thrown rolls”, “throwed” just gives my OCD the heebie jeebies haha

2 Likes

Branson Canyon seems to be where the vast majority of 6+ BR houses are. I put this trip board together on Homeaway.

My rough math shows 12-15 folks interested in a house, of that, I know some are thinking about pullout beds/air mattresses to save some more cash (thinking a fractional share of the house cost vs those in their own room/bed). I also respect that folks perspectives may be evolving (in either direction!) on the logistics of sharing a house.

So, my plan is (and I’m open to feedback on this approach):
1 - I would book a larger house and fill it up (beds/space for air mattresses/etc…)
2 - figure out the volume for a potential 2nd house
3 - name a “captain” for that house and try to find something nearby the first house to fit the rest

In parallel to that, I’d be working with the guys at Big Cedar for a good rate for the 3+ hotel rooms requested (although, given the state of the travel industry, wondering if that might be better done by just booking in advance).

Additionally, if the families going need or want any help with houses for them, would be happy to pitch in!

Again, not making any moves, just trying to figure out how to manage the lodging logistics…

3 Likes

Sounds great! For me, happy to sleep in a double room or pullout.

I’m also looking at maybe getting in Thursday evening/night as to not have to leave here at like 4a. Imagine most people are relatively close so driving Friday AM, but if anyone is getting in Thursday or has an extra sofa for a night HMU!

1 Like

It should be, but you’re talking about the Ozarks…

2 Likes

I would be interested if we can get around 8 people at least thatwould be sweet. . . I work in a nursing home and requires extra precautions right now for if I travel out of state. Hopefully they will let up and make it easier.

1 Like

Hi All - just my “every 3 week status” update for you all…

I checked in on all the properties I had earmarked on Airbnb and Homeaway and there was very little movement in terms of any options being rented from under us - in fact I added more to the watch list than removed due to availability. So not seeing any need to take action on house rental confirmation, even with most offering free cancellation.

We now have 7 names on the waiting list. Frankly, I’m overwhelmed by the continued response and enthusiasm. Personally, I’ve now had 2 trip cancelled this Spring/Summer, so I really just have this to look forward to (hence my seemingly overzealous planning efforts on this now).

That said, if you do need to bail, I totally understand, no explanation needed. Just keep me in the loop an the google doc updated, so I can keep those waiting informed.

That is all for now - I hope everyone is well!

Chris

4 Likes

My folks played Mountain Top and Top of the Rock over the weekend, everything is in great shape. MT sounds like its as much fun as you can ask for in a short course!

Btw, the locker room/clubhouse at Mountain Top and Ozark National is one of the coolest you’ll find anywhere. To the point I’ve gone there for beers and apps without golf.

4 Likes

Hi all - I have some breaking news I wanted to pass along. I just received official word that the Big Cedar Meet-up is now an Official NIT Qualifier! The powers that be are extending 1 (final) bid coming from our meet-up in October. Looking at calendars, you may see how this could be complicated with the NIT itself being closely scheduled to the meet-up. I am confident we can work that out.

Additionally, there were some misgivings with any qualification taking place at a location with less than “18 cups” which I’d like to respect. While still in the early stages of contemplating the format, thinking only the 18 hole rounds on Saturday and Sunday AM will be counted towards qualifying, leaving the PM for some hit and giggle type fun (and not eliminating anyone that has issues with the Friday round itself).

All this said - we are wide open for the free flow of ideas, and given the “elevation” of our event, I started kicking around some ideas on the merch-front.

If I have learned anything while investing more time in these message boards than I probably should, is that the many contributors are infinitely more clever than I will ever be. So I certainly look forward to the ideas and feedback to come!

… I wish this trip was sooner…

Chris

7 Likes

Would love to try to attend. New here, anyone point me in the direction of what this all means (NIT/qualification)

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/nlu-2020-events-schedule-w-nest-fyis/19707

2 Likes

Oh boy, finally a qualifier close to home. Glad my name is on the list. Time to get the clubs out from the basement for some practice.

2 Likes

Quick note - we were able to procure another tee time - our field is now 24.

To those that were on the “wait list” you should be “in” now. Please take a look at the google doc and let me know if there are any changes!

Thanks!
Chris

2 Likes