"You were just quick there. . . "

During a lesson this afternoon, which was otherwise hugely productive, I had a couple loose swings where my pro said this. I asked him why he thinks this happens. He said that if any pro had the solution for people getting quick occasionally, that pro would be very rich. He said that basically not a lesson goes by where he doesn’t see it happen to a student.

So, what are the magic bullets for a smooth transition?

Look at my swing in roast… I find that the solution is a slower backswing (but paint dries during mine)

“Quick there” is just something people say when you hit a bad shot and they don’t know what else to say. IMO it’s almost always hogwash.

There are people who are “quick” yes, but they’re usually always quick. That’s just their tempo. Like Nick Price.

4 Likes

It might just be meaning your hands beat your hips on the down swing. Once you’re at the top of your backswing your hips should fire and pull the club down and through impact rather than your hands starting the downswing. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard “hands lead the hips…hips lead the hands” from my father.

@iacas is the winner here, folks.

When giving a lesson, many people expect it to be full of feedback. They’ll skull a shot and turn to you and ask “so what happened on that one?” And instead of saying, “Gee, I dunno. You’re a 25 handicap overswinging a club at 90 MPH at a tiny ball. I dunno…” you say “just got a tad quick.”

10 Likes

Doctors do that all the time. They make up some bull shit rather than say “I Have no flippin clue”

4 Likes

[cancels appointment with radiologist tomorrow…]

1 Like

@iacas @Lazstradamus, I hear you, on the other hand I can feel myself rushing on these shots. My theory is that something about my position was probably bad or off and then I feel compelled to rush.

2 Likes

Maybe not a silver bullet… but I think never playing scrambles is a good tip.

2 Likes

@iacas would know better but I feel like if you left the downswing start from your shoes, it’s hard to get overly quick.

If your timing is off on a swing, something was “quick” I guess. Something was also “late” or “behind”. I’m guessing some folks on here have used, or heard some good ones - maybe we take it over to the golf lingo thread.

“What’d I do there?”
“You shanked it.”

1 Like

It’s likely in your head. I’ve filmed swings where people were “quick” and ones they liked and they’re often identical except for 1/4” of clubhead positioning at impact or something else. Your mind needs to make up an excuse.

Occasionally people are quick. I’m not saying never. Just rarely.

I don’t know the technicalities involved, but when I “get quick” it means I need to think about pausing at the top of my swing.

And how did we get through 13 posts without:

that's%20what%20she%20said

2 Likes

mmm, disagree a bit with you and Laz here. I think “quick” many times is how a pro can discuss the lack of the tiny bit of lag at the top that the best swings have. When you’re starting your move down (whether with hands, hips, feet, head, whatever) before you reach your apex.

Not saying it’s not a cop-out, since it doesn’t really give you something to specifically address, but the BIGGEST difference for me between a great drive, great wedge, great approach is what’s being mentioned.

You think.

It seems I hit better shots when it feels I’m going slower. Not sure how much slower I’m going or what other things are changing in the swing, but I believe this for me. Doesn’t mean I always hit a good shot when thinking about going slow, but does seem to suit me better. Slower for me mean, that the takeaway feels a bit slower, and certainly at the top it feels slower.

1 Like

I should have said “my 40 years of experience has taught me”. Apologies.

2 Likes

In my mind there is a difference between swinging quick (tempo) and swinging fast (speed). You can swing fast with good tempo and still be in control/ have good balance. I used to tell my students that I wanted them to swing fast but not rush the transition from back swing to down swing. Not an easy thing to do but once it clicks you can start working on other aspects of your swing.

1 Like

I think we’re aligned. What I’m saying is the sequence starting “from the feet up” allows for that little lag to happen. When you just cast the club back, there’s no lag, so to speak.

2 Likes