Wolf Hammer For Dummies

Wolf Hammer seems like a great game, but it sounds so complicated and my group defaults back to fourball match play.

Suggestions on how to simplify the game to get traction with the group and then layer on all the rules over time?

Wolf Hammer One Hole Example

You just got to commit to one round. Start out and give everybody a sheet with all the trash and take out some of the random ones that are rare and unlikely to happen (taint/Haas for example). That way they aren’t staring at a long list of trash. All it takes is one round for buy in. My group is hooked. That might be because we preferred wolf to fourball already though.

My be a dumb question but has your group ever played wolf? If the answer is no, then I’d start with that. Premise of the game is very basic and after one time through the order I’m sure everyone will fall in love with it. Once you guys have wolf down and are enjoying it, add in the easy rules (Hogans, greenies, etc.). No need to jump in on the full list of stuff considering some of them are so rare (Haas). I’ve gotten some guys hooked on wolf and am planning to work in the basics once the season gets going.

it would be super helpful if someone could post a table / spreadsheet with an easy way to track the junk and let the user fill in the hole information. I ended up using 3 scorecards last time to track junk and got very confused.

Yeah. We play wolf from time to time. Playing wolf more in general would probably be a start.

Play with @Soly and he will keep track of everything. Although if you go wolf on the 16th hole expect him to hit a ridiculous bunker shot to rip your heart out.

In. Let’s set it up @Soly

My kingdom for the following answer: how do you determine who holds the hammer (i) on One Tee, and/or (ii) at the beginning of each hole throughout the round (given the teams change each hole)?

This is literally the last piece of the the puzzle for me. Send me into orbit :rocket:

Wolf Hammer is way too complicated. Stick to regular wolf or flip wolf.

Flip wolf is where each member of the fivesome flips a coin on each tee box and all the heads play as a team and all the tails play as a team.

Imagine the hammer is just laying there on each tee box for somebody to pick up and throw. Whether I’m the wolf, picked by the wolf, or on the other team, I like to hammer before getting in my cart if one of my buddies hasn’t hammered me/my team already.

In our group we’ve also added “divorce”. If your picked by the wolf and you’d rather go solo vs. the others you can call “divorce”. A divorce has to be served before leaving the box. This brings more opportunity for one vs. all which equals more blood. It also adds some strategy if your the wolf and hit a poor tee shot knowing who you pick could divorce you.

You’re kidding me?! That’s it?!

I guess I’m surprised because, obviously, the Wolf side of things is pretty darn orderly/formulaic. But you’re telling me this whole time the Hammer side of things is more unruly than the opening scene of Terminator 2?

I accept (a tip of the cap, and sincere thanks).

Can someone explain the Hammer part of all this to me? I have many questions.

Is it just a way to add dots? Can anyone throw the hammer? When is an good time to throw the hammer? Do you have to take the hammer? Can hammers be thrown back at the original thrower?

Like I said, lots of questions,

I still don’t get why people just immediately assume this game is so complicated. That’s so lazy. Most of my group knows it pretty well by now, but I got so tired of hearing about how complicated it was and they weren’t interested in keeping up with it. Essentially me and one other guy in our group completely bought in and he and I covered all grounds with rules, junk, etc. and kept up with it exclusively the first few rounds. It helps getting the other guys involved by telling them what they have on the line when you’re all on the green with guys who have eagle/birdie/par putts. I found it doesn’t help the cause just totaling it all up after the hole is done because then the “lazy, complicated” complainers will be like “WTF how did y’all just win that much? This game sucks and makes no sense”. Yeah, there are 30+ junk rules, but there are really less than 10 you’ll consistently see each round. The rest are kinda obvious when they happen, but just read through the tablet a few times and take control of tallying it for the round and eventually your boys will fall in love, and if they don’t… find some new friends.

Any team can throw the first hammer at any point during the hole. From there, the opposing team can only hammer back. It can go back and forth infinite amount of times. Just remember there’s one dot for hammering and one dot for taking. If a team drops (aka forfeits) the hammer then the other team gets all previous hammer/take dots. The only time a team cannot hammer is if they are in for a score that the other team cannot match (Ex: my team is in for birdie and the only putt remaining for the other group is par and they don’t have anything better than that, then my team cannot hammer). Hope this helps.

Learn to play wolf first.

Then buy some ka-ching coins. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ka-Ching-On-Course-Golf-Coin-Game/197835936
They will give you a couple basic extras. Then you can add more coins for other things if you wish.

Introduced my group to WH last week. We regularly play Wolf so I figured it would be a seemless transition. I even laminated junk sheets because I’m a good guy and enjoy wasting company resources. Anyways, they didn’t take to it as I had hoped. I would hammer after every tee shot to get things going and ended up needing to remind everyone they could hammer back. Kind of kills the vibe when you’re begging to get hammered. Junk went fine, it was fairly limited. Biggest loser was about $130. Overall reviews from the group (besides me) was less excitement than I had hoped.

Moral of the story; I need to find new friends.

Viva La Wolf Hammer

Our group tried WH for the first time this past weekend. After all of the comments, I thought it would come a little more naturally than it did. So I need some scoring clarifications. Here was our situation: player 1 went lone wolf against the three other players. The only dot was a Hogan won by the three-person side (hole was a push). What does the wolf and each of the other players score? Give me an answer for each of the possible lone wolf situations (4x, 3x, and 2x).

Any chance you have a cheat sheet to share?

There was only one dot won so in 2x wolf players 2, 3, and 4 receive two dots each; player 1 loses six dots. 3x and 4x is 3/4 dots for players 2, 3, and 4.

But if the hole was a push, then no dots were won, right? Have to win the hole to win dots!